Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.
Only on Spotify but you can tell the difference massively.
Good isn't it
It might be a few days or weeks till I get my box set but I do want to listen to the new mix tomorrow.
Thinking of grabbing the vinyl at the store till my box comes in. Any reviews on the vinyl? Is it a digital transfer or analog?
The new remix of Birthday makes that song actually listenable for me. Giles did a fantastic job on this project.
wow.. that full 12 minute Helter Skelter rehearsal take.. It's like Paul doing his own version of the Plastic Ono Band album 2 years early.
File under: lumbering minimalism, along with 'Well Well Well'
And how about those alternate lyrics??
"When I get to the bottom, I go back to the top of the hill
Where I stop, and I turn, and I give you a pill
And I know that I'll meet at the bottom AGAAIN..."
My God this is a fantastic remix. I'm loving it. Is it audiophile? Who cares!?
Same thing happened to me tonite with "This Was 50th": by Jethro Tull. I'm like..."I don't want it"
Same here ... started with the remix on headphones and nearly thru.
"Dear Prudence" and "I'm So Tired" are pretty sensational.
I even like "Obla Di Obla Da" now.
So I'm currently only on disc 2 ... 4 more to go ... I won't be doing anything else at the weekend than exploring the deluxe
Got mine today. Just the stereo cds are a revelation. Can't wait to listen to the bluray 5.1. Amazing how great this sounds.
Tidal has the whole shooting match streaming in glorious Master quality. Listening now to remix via headphones (It's 2 AM). Be prepared to be happy.
I’m loving the positivity in here today! I’m still yet to receive my copy or hear it, but have the day off and as soon as I get back from taking the wife to work, it’s White Album central.
This is my favourite album ever so I feel a religious experience is coming!
I’ve read every single post in this thread, been on here every day since the start and now it’s finally the day. Delighted for all of us to finally share in this thing. Have a great day all and enjoy!!!
Helter Shelter just WOW!
Enjoying it so far. But I was in another room when Wild Honey Pie played, and it sounded really screwed up from there. Out of tune? Maybe it's my ears.
Nah I noticed it on the Andre Gardner show. They really laid the wobbly ADT and reverb on thick for this mix. Definitely stands out!
I just finished listening to the whole remix album on Spotify. My initial thoughts that stood out to me:
1. Overall I didn't hate it like I do the Pepper remix.
2. Mother Nature's Son and Birthday jumped out to me as overall better sounding and a more enjoyable mix.
there, I started with the positives
3. Overall there isn't much standing out to me as particularly better, or jumping out as sounding especially great -- as the whole cohesive track. Meaning like the vocals in Revolution 1, Long, Long, Long, Savoy Truffle, a few others sound better--but to me enough of the overall character of those songs, or important (to me) instrumental features, and feeling they instilled, have been ruined as to negate any of the positives that were added by the remix.
4. It really bothers me that Revolution 1 doesn't have the dueling horns in the right countering the stabbing guitar in the left during the "alright" sections. The song was homogenized. Savoy Truffle (my favorite track on the album) was homogenized too, all the dirty power and grit was sucked right out of it.
5. I absolutely hate everything that was done to Cry Baby Cry, the worst remix by far on the whole album.
6. The complete album might sound more "cohesive" now, but I don't consider that a good thing. Cohesive isn't what has always made the white album great. Wide variety and individualized moods created within songs is what has made the album great for me. A big part of those feelings was not present anymore when I finished listening to the remix.
7. I'm not impressed in the least with the remix, except surprised that it's not worse than it is.
I'm going to wait for the actual discs to arrive before listening to any of the rest of the set.
Everybody’s Got Something To Hide ‘Cept For Me and my Remix. Crank it! Can’t wait to lose these headphones and unleash on world.
In other words: You can’t get past the original.
Consider this: What if this new remix was the one released in 1968 and the original appeared now? What do you then think you would prefer?
The moaning has begun...
Wonder why Goodbye wasn't included?
Was recorded in 1969 I think
Ah but when 'I don't hate it' is described as a positive you know this isn't going to go well
Isn't it "thrill" instead of pill?
Just like with original mono/stereo mixes, I think it will be also "depends on the song" in this case. So far I just skipped around and some of the tracks are awesome. Others are really baffling and contain typical Giles-isms like a small bit that is missing or not even there - some of them are going to be If I Fell / Ballad of John and Yoko all over again. Can't wait!
Also it seems even though they stated that they approached this song by song, they ignored a lot of cool things that were in the mono mixes, unfortunately, and based it mostly on original stereo mixes.
The new mix was made from hi- res transfers of the vintage multi- tracks, so as far as I understand it, it has to be digital. The new mix only exists in that domain.
My first impression: mixed bag it is.
Some mixes are really great (Helter Skelter, Dear Prudence), but what on earth happened to Wild Honey Pie?? It's simply unlistenable , completely out of tune, just bloody awful...
Amazon UK have now reduced delivery time to before 9pm. That's 2 hours earlier. In reality it will probably be before that. Won't be home until around 7pm anyway. Have tomorrow off. I think tonight may be an all-nighter!
The calm before the storm...
Ah makes sense. Thanks very much!
Still curious to read how people like the vinyl...
Separate names with a comma.