50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Spencer Marquart

Spencer Marquart Forum Resident

Is it just me, but listening to the remix. It sounds "Loud" to me. I hate to go there, but it has a loud digital sound (on the 24 bit Hi Res). Not sure how they could **** this up, but they did..

tinnox likes this.
  2. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Rhetorical question, but if Carnival of Light and Only a Northern Song weren't included with the Pepper box because they were not intended for the Pepper project, why are The Inner Light, Lady Madonna, and Across the Universe (And Hey Jude And Revolution) on this one?

3. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

Oh great, here we go again...they never learn.

formu_la and tinnox like this.
  4. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

Goodness me. Revolution 9 in surround sound. It’s brilliant.

I’m a little meh on the rest of the 5.1 mix, but Revolution 9 is breathtaking.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

They did a lot of jamming here so they did not have to listen to her...

Bonzodog, Gila, tinnox and 1 other person like this.
  6. Spencer Marquart

Spencer Marquart Forum Resident

Hey, I'm not here to stir things up. Just my opinion.

ODIrony and tinnox like this.
  7. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

"Across the Universe" is the real outlier, because it seems like any outtakes or early versions would be saved for LIB50 but perhaps there are a handful of good outtakes of "Across the Universe" so they gave us one of them for WA50 and still have 1 or more left for LIB50....LIB50 might give us Take 1 of ATU, plus the "Hums Wild" version, plus a Twickenham rehearsal, and maybe even the isolated strings score as well to show the full evolution of the tune.

But it seems "Only a Northern Song" master and outtakes are being saved for a YS remix. "The Inner Light" and "Lady Madonna" outtakes don't have another deluxe LP set where they fit, though their remixed masters can be included on a revamped Past Masters, which is why they aren't included in WA50. Same with "Hey Jude" and "Revolution", we get outtakes because WA50 basically covers all of '68, but the masters of the singles "belong" to Past Masters, so those remixes will be there instead of WA50.

Similarly, "Penny Lane" and "Strawberry Fields Forever" masters could be included on Pepper50 because they aren't Past Masters tracks, and yes they were cobbled onto MMT, but at that point an MMT deluxe reissue wasn't a guarantee and fans would have cried foul on the first Beatles LP box set had SFF and PL not been included on Pepper. The story of their original exclusion is too famous.

"Carnival of Light" who knows, it may have gotten vetoed by one of the Apple chairs, or maybe it's being saved for a reissue of MMT (collecting any and all non-Pepper, non-YS '67 recordings as bonuses) or a reissue of Anthology which could have some bonus tracks.

8. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I went in to the record shop to look at this on my break & have decided against it, I think these box sets are getting a bit much now. How many demos & outtakes can you listen to when there's so much other (finished) music out there really?

I'll stick with my old White Album CD for now, which I've always been more than happy with.

I'm glad a lot of other people are enjoying it but I'll keep my £20 for something else.

tmoore, gja586 and tinnox like this.
  9. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

I doubt we will see any Across the Universe on a LIB set as it wasnt recorded during that period. Probably why it was included here

Chris M and tinnox like this.
  10. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

I don't think MHP is putting anyone down. Just highlighting that for some members the original is sacrosanct, and any change is viewed as a negative. Too loud. Too compressed. Wrong choice of producer. Wrong choice of demos. The list is relentless.

There's negative and there's overly negative, me personally I'm glad to experience a treasure trove of tracks with a new mix to boot.

Bevok, Bonzodog, ODIrony and 3 others like this.
  11. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

It's a key track of the Let it Be Album. So it will be on a 50th release.

12. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Well, there we are then!
    I think it sounds excellent; the mix has more 'air' to it (in my ears and on my system), the sound has more depth.
    There ARE some odd things; have the out-of-tune instruments on Wild Honey Pie gotten louder? It was always a bit of a messy track, but now it's hardly music!
    So far I love the outtakes and I'm very happy I chose this one; so far I love the bluesy version of 'Cry Baby Cry' and the stripped down "Martha My Dear"!
    There's a lot to digest!
    [​IMG]

13. Royce

Royce Senior Member

I lived in NYC from 1996 to 2002 and I went to Revolver a lot back then. I'd stop at the corner at Gray's Papaya and get two hot dogs and a coconut milk drink, eat them at the counter, and then head over to Revolver. After that I would sometimes head over to the park to...um...watch some guys playing checkers! (yeah, THAT'S THE TICKET!) Keith was a great guy, and was always nice to me. It is a shame he isn't here to share in this with all of us. There were two other guys that I used to talk with there also. One was a (possibly) Russian/Serbian guy named Nik (I think) who turned me on to Nick Drake, and the other was Eddie who shared my love of the Beach Boys and I used to trade SMiLE stuff with him. I miss those days.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  14. Bocajoe

Bocajoe Forum Resident

I've never been much for outtakes and demos, sans a handful from Pete Townshend, Bob Dylan, and Bruce Springsteen, so I am on the fence about this. If I do pull the trigger, I'll probably buy the vinyl only version without any extras. I'm currently listening to the 2009 stereo CD release (the old Technics MASH D/A converter is still going strong after 22 years.) and wondering, "how much better it can get from a sound quality perspective?"

tinnox and Mook like this.
  15. Ettan

Ettan Forum Resident

Is the whole thing ( album, outtakes & demos) mixed in 5.1 surround?

tinnox likes this.
  16. beatleroadie

That would be pretty odd! ;) Just because its basic track was recorded 11 months before the main "Get Back" sessions? 50 years later celebrating the whole Let it Be album and those 11 months makes a difference?

What about "I Me Mine"? It was recorded a year after the main "Get Back" sessions, and the arrangements for IMM, ATU and TLAWR, and some drum and guitar overdubs for "Let it Be" were done in early 1970 as well. Those elements can't be included either?

ODIrony and tinnox like this.
  17. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

The song was rehearsed at Twickenham and I think we may finally see some of these tracks being released in some form or another. I'm also hoping for the Glyn Johns's version of the Get Back album to be part of the set. But that's for another thread. :)

The Band and tinnox like this.
  18. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Just the album. This isn't the Imagine Deluxe Set... ;)

It's still great to have and after my disappointment over the 1+ and Pepper 5.1 mixes, I'm glad to say this one is a much more enjoyable experience. :)

boggs, dobyblue, tinnox and 1 other person like this.
  19. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Regarding the Esher Demos, were there any songs done in multiple takes?

tinnox likes this.
  20. Geir

Geir Forum Resident

The bass is absolute fantastic on this release. The bassline in the chorus of While My Guitar must be the best bassline of all times. Never really heard it this clear and pronounced before. the way the Rickenbecker grunts is glorious.

21. Bern

Bern JC4Me

No..Just the remix. (I think).

autumn daze and tinnox like this.
  22. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Love Macca's stellar bass playing!

nowhereman87, John Bliss, 905 and 8 others like this.
  23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Far right a bit of space. :thumbsup:

24. beatleroadie

Apparently "Sour Milk Sea" had two versions/takes, because the version of the box set is longer and different than the one commonly circulating among collectors.

DeeThomaz and tinnox like this.
  25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

McCartney better bass on Pepper/Abbey.
    TWA?
    Bass gently weeps.

John Bliss and tinnox like this.