50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Sounded pretty untouched to me except for the noise-shaping to 16-bit and decimating to 44.1 kHz.

This new one is a landmark event to me - unfutzed Beatles masters in hi-res :drool:

NumberEight, tinnox, Royce and 3 others like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Approval, indeedy.

tinnox and Mal like this.
  3. alexpop

Everybody got their QRP 2LP tight ?

tinnox likes this.
  4. alexpop

GH favorite WA side ?
    Side 1.

tinnox likes this.
  5. alexpop

That's pretty bad. Hopefully your replacement is fine.

tinnox and John Bliss like this.
  6. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I double checked it and it seems like Giles has used the outtro of the song to artificially double track the intro, one channel has the original performance but the outtro is flown into the other channel:

The four tracks are, in order:

Outtro from Rockband stems
    2018 remix left channel
    2018 remix right channel
    Intro from Rockband stems

Note that the spectral plot of the outtro matches one channel of the remix and the the true intro matches the other channel!

[​IMG]

7. Laservampire

The full hi-res mono master of Pepper is on HDtracks now, as part of the hi-res big box.

8. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

I must’ve “lucked out” with a rare bad pressing, then - my copy is incredibly noisy, even after a pass through all three RCMs (VPI 16.5, Spin Clean, and Klaudio ultrasonic) and spending an hour or so doing a fresh setup on my TT. Very bummed.

Sending it back to Amazon for a replacement.

Kalli, tinnox and John Bliss like this.
  9. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Not to get too far off the rails, but why do we get a high-res flat transfer of the mono masters for these albums and not the same for stereo? It's a rhetorical question -- just a bit frustrating (to me).

10. alexpop

Is there a favourite versions poll of the White Album ie; 1968 to 2018 ?

Ken Wood and tinnox like this.
  11. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Possibly a regional thing - not showing up for me. Looks like it may be on Qobuz though...

tinnox likes this.
  12. positively4th

positively4th Forum Resident

Listened to the 5.1 mix a couple of time today, it’s amazing! Really thrilled with it overall.

13. alexpop

The Beatles Tune In Vol 2 out first.

tinnox likes this.
  14. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Do you think they may have topped up the high end a couple of DBs? Felt that way to me.

rickboy and tinnox like this.
  15. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I don't have any reason to think so but then, my ears are only 2 years younger than the album...

tinnox and RevolutionDoctor like this.
  16. Lemon Curry

Totally agree. Both mono and stereo should have been there. And frankly lots more, too.

But at least Apple is learning. On Pepper 50 we had a compressed blu ray remix and the mono on CD only. Third time's a charm!

17. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

I wonder if they put the unlimited master on Blu-Ray because of customer complaints about the compression on the Pepper Blue-Ray?

tinnox likes this.
  18. Lemon Curry

I would like to think that!

tinnox, John Bliss and bherbert like this.
  19. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Thanks for posting further. I've now listened (which I find to be more persuasive than comparing the spectrograms) to the original mix and the remix of the intros and outros, and heard what you're referring to. But why is what Giles appears to have done here "absolutely baffling" to you? It is a remix, after all, and the original mix had double-tracked guitars at certain points in the intro.

Arliss Renwick and tinnox like this.
  20. alexpop

Still think The Kinks Village Green 50th Anniversary box is the template to go. Have the Stereo/Mono LPS housed in a big thick textured box with loads of other goodies.

21. alexpop

Perhaps not required as everyone still gorging themselves binge listening with the remix. :drool: :bdance:

BeatlesObsessive, Bern and tinnox like this.
  22. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I'd think because it actually involves flying in a segment from elsewhere. More than a mere mixing of the extant tracks. I'm a little surprised (and a little disappointed) to learn this. But it won't keep me up at night. Good ears & sleuthing by the discoverers....

tinnox, Rupert_Bear and Laservampire like this.
  23. Laservampire

The original double tracking was ADT, which was just a delayed version of the same performance.

This is akin to manually double tracking the performance, which if it was the artists original intention, they would have done it.

Giles seems to have an allergy to leaving mono elements alone, it's hard to find many elements in his mixes that aren't artificially double tracked in stereo to give the illusion of "more tracks".

24. MCK57

MCK57 Forum Resident

Where does it say that Chris Thomas was paid a session fee for Not Guilty?

tinnox and baitzahn like this.
  25. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (Take 3) sounds better than the album version due the Guitar instead the Piano intro! overall sounds with more balls! more energy with the Guitar.

johnny q, tinnox and anth67 like this.