50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. CarloM

CarloM Forum Resident

Deciding what stores stock/don't stock is a whole different argument than saying they aren't available, or that The Beatles are doing the "George Lucas" and making only the new versions available and insisting the original mono/stereo don't exist and were never the artist's original intent.

Lack of store inventory...that's a whole other "death of physical media" argument. Which I'd rather not introduce into this thread. :unhunh:

tinnox and Lewisboogie like this.
  2. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

4 LP version has the new mix plus the Esher demos. Different packaging from the 2 LP set, but not any great swag (an accompanying booklet, slightly different cover and boxing).

tinnox and CarloM like this.
  3. CarloM

CarloM Forum Resident

Cool. If you happen to have both, is the stuff in the accompanying booklet in the Deluxe Vinyl different from the large booklet in the Super Deluxe CD/BD version? I just don't want to spend another $100 to find out...

tinnox likes this.
  4. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Yes, you are. Remixes aren’t historical documents. The master tapes are historical documents.

tinnox and Grant like this.
  5. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I don't have the Deluxe set, so I don't know about that.

tinnox likes this.
  6. Selteab

Selteab Free-hand sketcher and dancer of the hokey-pokey.

At least there’s colour portraits with the vinyl. The 3 CD set has just a bit bigger than postage stamp portraits all on the one page and in black and white.

Really wished they’d gone for the mini reproductions of the colour ones given they went to the trouble of reproducing the Richard Hamilton poster.

tinnox likes this.
  7. rubbersounds

rubbersounds Forum Resident

Yes! Paul doing the solos on the dirtier guitar. If you do a partial oops and get a split of the vocal-instruments, underneath the vocal you can sometimes hear the sound of him hitting the strings, caught on the vocal mic I guess, matches that guitar. Heh I had all 3 parts wrong.

tinnox and Ken Wood like this.
  8. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Fixed.

9. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

So..uh..did we get the John "Goodnight"? This thread is unreal.

tinnox likes this.
  10. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

No.

11. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

...the place where nothing is real.

;)

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

For those who have the 6CD+Bluray box and wish to keep the discs out of the original book both for convenience and protection of the book, try finding a plain white 5 inch reel-to-reel tape box. It fits all 7 discs in their white sleeves in an appropriately plain white compact box. Nice.

also great for CDR collections or other custom boxsets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

Eldorado.

14. Colocally

There is a 50 pack of these on ebay for $132CAD, is there another 49 people on here who want to go in on this? :D

andrewskyDE, jmxw, BeatleJWOL and 4 others like this.
  15. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Wow, were you getting ripped off! The going rate in the "old days" both locally and any mail order I got for years was never over $30 a disc unless it was a multi-disc set. After a few years of purchasing from the same local stores, I often was even able to get them for $25. :whistle:

16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Or a ten pack for $26 here. They are more expensive these days as reel tape is rare. I had some from way back

5 Inch Tape Reel Box - Lot of 10 [605-200-10] - $26.35

BeatleJWOL, tinnox and Colocally like this.
  17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

And I would add that boots were never more than $20 per disc when I was buying, with discounts to regulars

18. Colocally

It is a great idea though, as you say great for CDR sets too, print a nice "cover" for the front etc.

Shak Cohen and tinnox like this.
  19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I did that with 100's of 5 inch reel boxes of CDRs years ago. You could make uniform spine labels (same font) to make a nice shelf

andrewskyDE, tinnox and Colocally like this.
  20. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I would see those as well, but they were always the home-made dupes of the "real" boots with CD-R discs and computer-printed inserts being passed off in the stacks too at more unscrupulous stores... but then again one notorious local store tried to sell those full-price too.

tinnox likes this.
  21. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

It is the same stuff... no need for both if you don’t have to have the vinyl. no extra artwork or essays.

It comes in a 12x12 box and inside are two gatefold vinyl packages. One is the standard looking vinyl cover (with white embossed band name), and the other is the same but also says Esher Demos).

tinnox and CarloM like this.
  22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I am talking about the years before CDRs had invaded. I bought mostly in the shops in Greenwich Village, which sold only real CDs (though boots) in those days

tinnox likes this.
  23. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Mine is 0116020.
    (((0+1)/1)+6)+0+2+0=9
    I'm happy! :thumbsup:

tinnox, SgtPepperman1953 and dewey02 like this.
  24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Glad you like it. The mystery is now gone from this track for me unfortunately.

googlymoogly, tinnox and Mazzy like this.
  25. CarloM

CarloM Forum Resident

Thanks! Unfortunately I've gone down the rabbit hole that is the other thread discussing the content and quality...and it seems there is a little bit of to-do about the US 2LP being pressed by a different house than the 4LP which is pressed by Optimal in Europe...and a discussion about channel (im)balance. Ugh, maybe I'll steer clear of the vinyl until it's all straightened out, as I'm enjoying the heck out of my CDs/BDs right now.