50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

well I'm playing the demo record and dear prudence has just blown my mind, I've never been a fan of this song but I love the demo version.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Lacks BASS?
    Did you compare to the 1968 MONO( guess the 2014 mono should do as well )?

tinnox likes this.
  3. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Taking a segment from part of an historically established song, and moving that segment to an entirely different point in that same song, for an effect, doesn't sit well with me.

If that is in fact what transpired, while not exactly the end of the World, I do believe it to be an unfortunate act -- a bad precedent.

tinnox likes this.
  4. Beatlebug

Beatlebug Another box set won't do any harm

The last couple of tracks on my copy of CD6 had clicks. I got my set from Amazon so went straight onto Amazon's chat option to request a replacement disc.

They've been good enough to send a full replacement set, which should arrive today, so that I can now send my set back to them at no cost.

bluejimbop, OptimisticGoat and tinnox like this.
  5. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

I always thought that Mal is referring to Back in the USSR

tinnox likes this.
  6. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know"

If you want to do a review at least pronounce Esher correctly..

Bill, tinnox and Beatle Ed like this.
  7. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I love the mono Savoy Truffle. The guitar is so funky especially in the last verse. And I love the way the horns finish the line at the end of the solo section.

Shak Cohen and tinnox like this.
  8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

No, it's the same. If a store/vendor doesn't stock it, it's not available. As to whether an original mix is in print or not, I highly doubt if one is available if there is a high profile remix available. The old stock may be leftover stock.

tinnox likes this.
  9. RJD1954

RJD1954 Forum Resident

yep, the quick child's voice from '68 is gone in 2018...

Larry Geller and tinnox like this.
  10. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

I've been listening to the various versions of "Revolution" so much lately that I've started to have visions of people "carrying pictures of Chairman Mal"........!!!!!!!

11. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I just got my copies today, I've been listening to the 4LP set first. Seems as though Disc 1 of the Esther Demos has a tight spindle hole similar to disc 2 of the 2014 Mono Release. I've only had a flip through the book but it's pretty neat stuff. I kind of like how they integrated everything into the book instead of having a bunch of seperate elements the way the Sgt Pepper release did it.

tinnox likes this.
  12. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Also, before the overdubs on WMGGW, John was playing organ on the basic track takes, like the one released on the new box set.

tinnox, baitzahn and Onder like this.
  13. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

On another thread a member posted that the remix has ‘booming dirty bass’ and George’s vocals were ‘bleached.’ You just can’t trust what someone else’s opinion when it comes to music. Some people hear things most of us cannot.

Shaddam IV, tinnox, Yovra and 2 others like this.
  14. Ern

Ern Senior Member

After listening to this release, I'm very pleased by the sound of it! Great work by Giles and Sam!
    There are only two remixes I don't like, which don't mean they were badly done, While My Guitar Gently Weeps and Yer Blues.
    Yer Blues lost it's power on this remix, and Giles could have separated the guitars, like take 5.
    Other minor complaints, Ringo's 'blister on my fingers' should be louder.
    Also John's guitar on Me and My Monkey, should be louder too.
    The outtakes are awesome!
    Many band moments on the sessions.
    Bring on 'Abbey Road' remixed with outtakes!!!

andrewskyDE, bherbert, tinnox and 3 others like this.
  15. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

I feel exactly the same way. I find all the negativity and deluge of melodramatic language wearing but I simply can't be bothered to debate it all. It would be like trying to hold back the sea. We have our own opinions and mine is that Giles Martin does a great job on the whole. Just thought I'd offer my support for the project and for the remixes generally! :righton:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    Eska68, planckera, bherbert and 10 others like this.
  16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Folks want to have a voice at the table at the banquet of life even if they have nothing to say.

Shaddam IV, Bill, tinnox and 2 others like this.
  17. Jarek_Venera

Jarek_Venera Forum Resident

Did you notice John's 'yeah' at the end of second refrain of Everybody's Got Something To Hide apprx. at 1:13? And what about Birthday? The intro is in stereo, whilst Paul's voice is in mono (original song has it vice versa). What do I like too much now is Julia - new mix is heavenly beautiful.

However, if Sour Milk Sea (fantastic version here), Not Guilty, Junk, and Child Of Nature were on the original album instead of Revolution 9, it would have been probably the best album ever.

tinnox and Gila like this.
  18. Jarek_Venera

Jarek_Venera Forum Resident

Why is it heard 'take two' when starts Revolution Take 18? Or is it something else? Otherwise I am amused to hear Paul's love, love me do, you know I love you...during Revolution Take 18 :wiggle: They obviously enjoyed that session.

19. alexpop

Doesn't rhyme with refresher.

Safeway 1 and tinnox like this.
  20. alexpop

So remix comparison time.
    60% against 40% in favour of the white album being the better remix?

tinnox likes this.
  21. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

Everybody's equipment sounds different so people hear different things even a loudspeaker can drastically change the sound so comments about frequency flavours cannot be trusted also comparing the 2018 mix with the 68 mix is also a mistake the 2018 mix will be different, technology has changed in 50 years, I really like the remix and sonicaly it's far superior and the minor changes in balance does not hurt this classic album, well done Giles and Sam.

22. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

There is no one best book. There are at least 300 photos and there were at least 5 photographers there, and three of them have published books, two of which are out of print and the other is expensive.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
    tinnox likes this.
  23. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Hey, I didn`t think I`d get it right. John and George were really patient with Paul, letting him go on for so long. They might have enjoyed it to get into the groove, it`s almost like a meditation itself.

tinnox likes this.
  24. spondres

spondres Forum Resident

It rhymes with Belisha (beacon).

Beatle Ed and tinnox like this.
  25. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I agree on WMGGW. I especially don't like how loud George's slightly out of tune moans are during the solo Eric is playing on the outtro.

But Yer Blues... this is one of my favorites of the new mixes! Yes, they put some slap echo on John, but this is how John would be treating his own voice in the years to come. Sounds natural and huge. And it's one of the few tracks where the band is RIGHT THERE in front of you. It's also very exciting that the playing gets more emotional as the song goes on, and the remix really delivers that power.
    However, the effect is better on the blu ray or vinyl, less so on the CD.

jammincrowe, tinnox, gibtti and 2 others like this.