50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

My reasoning for a remix is hard panning reason number 1. I have the Mono version which is my favorite of all thing Beatles. Would love a new stereo mix. White album is my second favorite as of now. This new remix is really good. After some time with this remix I can create a playlist in which I can pick original or 2018 remix for a White album of my choosing.
    Rubber Soul in stereo and Help! Just don’t do it for me.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    Shaddam IV, bherbert and tinnox like this.
  2. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Is your original LP mono or stereo?

Shaddam IV and tinnox like this.
  3. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Wasn't there a report somewhere that a Dehra Dun demo would be appearing on the album sometime back? I can't recall now where or when, but this has reminded me. A full good quality recording did appear of this some years ago in addition to the off-the-cuff rendition in the Anthology. I guess it could be being held back for a Harrison project .

linclink, Lewisboogie and tinnox like this.
  4. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

It seems quite likely that George recorded lots of demos in this era. Probably before this as well, but it seems he, John and Paul really got the songwriting bug in India and each of them wrote a lot of songs. The only alternate song from the Esher sessions that we are 100% sure of is Sour Milk Sea with electric guitar and bass (Jackie Lomax?), but there must be others, including Dehra Dun. Ringo remembered it during the Threetles segment of Anthology, but probably because he plays drums on George's version recorded in 1970. Not quite a demo, but a formal studio work up. It's really a fine song. An all acoustic version would be most welcomed. I truly hope that some of Dhani and Olivia's friends (Paul Hicks, Ken Scott, Giles and a few others) help them with a truly all-encompassing Harrison Archival series. He may have enough material between demos, home studio jams, outtakes, sessions, etc to compile many multi-disc releases, including solo versions of songs from the Beatles era. Ron

Eska68, Paul H, planckera and 9 others like this.
  5. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I have both, but am currently listening to the stereo, which is an entertaining listen betimes.

tinnox likes this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

+1 every ..Beatles scholar must haves.

prudence2001 and tinnox like this.
  7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

What? Didn't George's Early Takes Volume One totally clean out the archives? I've heard that there is nothing left after the release of that exhaustive set... ;)

Eska68, planckera, anth67 and 4 others like this.
  8. alexpop

Way surpasses that the 1966 cute factor. Mother superior jumped the gun.

Lewisboogie and tinnox like this.
  9. alexpop

George's Bip Bop. :)

10. Arnold Grove

Is that a compliment or a derogatory statement? ;)

tinnox likes this.
  11. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

You don’t have to get into specifics with an amazon return. Just go back to your order page and start the return. One of the “reasons” is defective product. Pretty easy process. Good luck.

apesfan, Lewisboogie and tinnox like this.
  12. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I heard they're planning on a 10th anniversary edition of Early Takes for 2022 which will include one bonus track, an outtake of "My Sweet Lord 2000". :)

13. Arnold Grove

It is also possible that the other demo of Sour Milk Sea with (probably) Jackie Lomax on bass was NOT done when the other 26 songs were demoed at George's home. Maybe George and Jackie did it a week before or a week later, and then George decided to put that version on the copies that he gave to all the other Fabs. And then it was that other version that got bootlegged eventually.

We really don't know much as no one can recall exactly the details of the recording of those 27 songs.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    linclink and tinnox like this.
  14. Arnold Grove

And I heard they're planning on a 10th anniversary edition of Early Takes for 2022 which will include one LESS song ... ;)

15. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Probably because of the rediculous hard panning with instruments on the left and vocals on the right. Brutal.

16. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Dylan did (allegedly) say, when the Beatles played Revolver for him, "Ah, I get it, you don't want to be cute anymore!"
    There's a darkness to Revolver.......I would think the opener would have been jarring, unexpected back then (not to mention the closer).

tinnox likes this.
  17. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

How many of our most loved albums have crap production or mastering (*or both)? I have some real lo-fi crap in my collection but the songs always win out. I'm still not buying that kids of today need the older classics remixing in order to make them somehow palatable to their tastes, or that they need them to sound more like Ed Sheeran's output. We never did as kids.

You search out the old classics because they have a reputation not because someone has thankfully remixed them to finally sound ok. I love the remix but I disagree with most on this forum as to why it was done in the first place.

tinnox likes this.
  18. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Nah, Paul thought that he himself did the rooster noises, but he mis-remembered (George was very keen to point this out when they revisited the multis)......it was the fella Paul let into the studio who claimed to be Jesus. Emerick did the recording outside even though the animal noises were simulated by a human; they had to relocate from the rooftop as they quickly figured out that Jesus had taken acid......but I wasn't there so i could be mistaken.

tinnox likes this.
  19. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

.....until Revolver redux or Abbey Road redux comes out....or AHDN redux. .....remastered by John Updike's son.

tinnox likes this.
  20. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Regarding the bootleg version of Sour Milk Sea, why are folk saying it's Jackie Lomax on bass? Surely it would make more sense that it's Paul playing bass during the overdubbing process - and Ringo on tambourine of course

tinnox and Mark R Jones like this.
  21. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Something like the stereo mix of the first Cream album (all that was available for years) really bothered me, and if a remix had been available I would certainly have got that

Shaddam IV and tinnox like this.
  22. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

It seemed that Paul remembered it as well. He made droning noises (tambura?) while George played/sang.

tinnox and linclink like this.
  23. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

They could probably make a whole album of Dylan covers alone. Olivia did hire an archivist relatively recently.

tinnox, Lewisboogie and linclink like this.
  24. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

WHEN being an acronym for???

25. That's The version I was referencing! Figured '70-'71 area & nice to know it is Ringo on drums.

John's archives have been coming out for years, Paul's appearing on his recent series of re-releases ... the Harrison Archives seems to me like the major untapped goldmine of potential wonders left in all Beatledom!!

Thrilled to have read recently that the Lou Reed & George Harrison estates have both hired Don Fleming as their official archivist. Here's hoping that 2019 bears the first harvests from that move!!

planckera and tinnox like this.