50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. No narration but live songs should have be on a separate release.

tinnox and Pizza like this.
  2. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Yes they need to keep the timeline intact if they they add bonus tracks, which they should. Each volume could easily get 4-5 extra songs and not go over the space limit and still keep it to 6 CDs! Hopefully we get 15 new bonus tracks on an Anthology remix/reissue in the near future! The "Threetles" Jam at George's house (Raunchy, Thinking of Linking, Blue Moon, etc.) and any outtakes or alt-mixes of Free as a Bird and Real Love and a completed version of "Now and Then" could be included on a separate 7th disc (Come on Paul and Jeff, finish it!).

Would be great for remixes of the "Sessions" tracks alone, but others could be improved in the mixing department as well.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    tinnox and paul62 like this.
  3. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Hmmm @Onder and I concluded there was ADT applied to those vocals (though tracked).

And the backing vocals on the Sexy Sadie remix, same question?

tinnox likes this.
  4. TonyClifton63

TonyClifton63 Forum Resident

Im not to far from here...have you ever driven Lower Wanker Dr.? ;) a cool place to listen to Revolution #9!

tinnox and dewey02 like this.
  5. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

This is, in all honesty, the first time a remix of the Beatles has felt "right"..........I think they've got it down......now let's get on with all the others.

6. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

The performance in the left channel is different from the performance in the right channel. Listen to the first "happiness" and pay close attention to the "s" sound at the end. The left channel has at least two layers of vocals and a more drawn out "s" sound. The right channel has two more layers of vocals and a much quicker "s" sound. The layers of vocals, however, are all different.

The piano intro has very obvious delay. It's not a double tracked piano; you're hearing the same performance in both channels, just delayed in the right by exactly 63 milliseconds.

The backing vocals are also delayed (ADT)--no double tracking.

tinnox likes this.
  7. Shaddam IV

Great! And do they appear to be coming from one side of the stereo spectrum, in the way the vocals on the '68 Ob-La-Di appear to be coming from the right?

tinnox likes this.
  8. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

The left channel backing vocals are delayed by 35 milliseconds (meaning the right channel is slightly ahead).

tinnox likes this.
  9. Shaddam IV

You did not answer my question!

tinnox likes this.
  10. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

Actually, I should clarify. There are double tracked vocals in one channel (layered vocals), but then they are delayed and replicated on the other channel. So, I guess you could say there's both double tracked and ADT applied.

tinnox likes this.
  11. Shaddam IV

Haha. Here's the answer (since you won't!) :

The backing vocals do not appear to be coming from one side of the mix in the way that the '68 Ob-La-Di vocals do.

My next question: why is that?

tinnox likes this.
  12. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

Not sure what you're getting at, but they would seem to move from right to left, based on the delay. The backing vocals are pretty balanced, volume-wise, between the left and right.

tinnox likes this.
  13. Shaddam IV

So the delay varies!

And no 'wobble' effect. Case closed.

tinnox likes this.
  14. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

Sure they do. Listen to the background vocals at 2:10 where they are by themselves. They move right to left, exactly the way the lead vocal in the '68 Ob-La-Di moves from right to left.

tinnox likes this.
  15. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

The delay varies between what? Why would there be a wobble effect?

When I say "move right to left" I don't mean that the delay changes. I simply mean that the vocals appear in the right channel before the left (the delay).

tinnox likes this.
  16. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

For those of us who are lying at the side of the road, dazed, after all the twists and turns of this courtroom drama, would you state exactly what your "case" is? :)

17. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

The Frank Ifield tracks are actually live onstage. But the title of the album was cleverly worded and intentionally misleading. It should be read as: Jolly What! The Beatles (and Frank Ifield Onstage).

tinnox and NumberEight like this.
  18. Shaddam IV

Look a minute ago you implied there was a constant delay of 35 milliseconds :)

The Ob-La-Di vocals appear to be coming from the right, because there is a constant delay in the left channel (volume is equal in both channels).

The Sexy Sadie vocals do not sound as if they are coming from one side, because the delay varies - the delay is not at a constant rate.

My point is, the Sexy Sadie vocals have variable ADT, and they do not sound 'wobbly'.

You had said that if variable ADT were used, there would be a 'wobble' effect. I had said no, not necessarily.

tinnox likes this.
  19. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

Yes, this I would like to know, too!!

tinnox likes this.
  20. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

[​IMG]

The Ole' Rocker, tinnox, dsdu and 3 others like this.
  21. jasonx12

jasonx12 Forum Resident

You know what would've been nice for RSD? A 12" with Rev 1 Take 18 on one side and Helter Take 2 on the other.

maclen and tinnox like this.
  22. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

I thought we put this to rest several pages back when I said I agreed with you. :laugh: Yes, you could vary the speed of the tape machine without introducing pitch wobble if you did it slowly. This would also depend on how far apart the record and playback heads are and the speed change of the tape. The greater the distance of the heads and larger the speed change, the more noticeable a pitch wobble would be.

tinnox likes this.
  23. Shaddam IV

And here I thought it was not 'put to rest' when I said "agree to disagree" and you said you "agree" with that lol.

tinnox and kanno1ae like this.
  24. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

You know what would've been even nicer for RSD? A 12" with Rev 1 Take 20 on one side and Helter Take 3 on the other. :agree:

25. KirkK

KirkK Senior Member

I believe it’s “Artifical” rather than “Automatic” double tracking. And as stated, it’s not quite tape delay, but that’s in the ballpark.

tinnox, mikecarrera and Jimmy Cooper like this.