50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

To paraphrase David Bowie, Lennon would take something avant-garde or a very odd idea and apply it in such a manner to something popular and make it work for the masses

tinnox likes this.
  2. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Be excited!

tinnox, Morton LaBongo and joeislive like this.
  3. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

So it IS coming out in the month of November? :agree:

ODIrony and tinnox like this.
  4. Embracetheday

I just realized one of the Friday’s (music release day) in November is a 9TH! Number 9....Number 9....

ODIrony, andrewskyDE, tinnox and 7 others like this.
  5. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Whoa! I think I need two hours to calm down now!

tinnox and Bern like this.
  6. IronWaffle

IronWaffle It’s all over now, baby blue

Okay. How about a compromise? We’ll say a date. Blink once when we’re getting warmer, twice when we’re getting colder. And no, I don’t mean emoticons. Then, when we get it right, tell us we’re wrong. You’re covered, the optimists will over-interpret you, the pessimists will take you to task, and meanwhile you can go for a pint and have a laugh at all the silliness.

Tongue firmly in cheek, of course.

That said, thanks for the nuggets. I take it all for what it’s worth. You’ve heightened my excitement a bit and I still have no expectations either way. A splendid time is guaranteed for all who are so inclined.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    tinnox and Shaddam IV like this.
  7. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Lol, not biting. Still too far away

tinnox and IronWaffle like this.
  8. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

I want a track list. Now.

9. Bern

Bern JC4Me

I still need to read the Pepper book from last year.....

Bern

petem1966, ODIrony and tinnox like this.
  10. Bern

Bern JC4Me

I'd forgotten about this...thanks Glenn!
    July 2 1968...A new SI of Ringo's lead vocal and backing harmony vocals onto "Good Night". George Martin took away two copies of take 15 at the end of the session so that he could score the song for an orchestra and choir.

The June 28th date also mentions John playing an acoustic guitar along with Ringo guide vocal that was not used.

July 22 entry...ALL previous takes of 'Good Night' were overlooked and the song was recorded anew from strat to finish, during this evening.

Bern

ODIrony, tinnox, supermd and 2 others like this.
  11. Embracetheday

Does the acoustic version of Goodnight still exist anywhere?

tinnox likes this.
  12. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

oh yeah I know we were just playing around like conspiracy theories, been doing it for a while, this thread has been a trip

13. Morton LaBongo

I think the Anthology show had a brief clip of someone playing along to Ringo's vocal. Not sure if it's from June or July though.

tinnox, Bern and Embracetheday like this.
  14. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Speculating on what release day will be is ok, but speculating about content is more fun imo.

I bought Pepper 50 but didn't care for the content. No Carnival of Light, No Only A Northern Song etc.

White 50 needs a version of Lennon singing Goodnight, or at least the version with Beatles harmonies. The WMGGW with organ & backwards guitar. In other words more value & better outtakes than those on Pepper.

The entire Esher demos, Not Guilty, a Harrison vocal on a "New" Sour Milk Sea Etcetera Etcetera

Or no dice

ODIrony, andrewskyDE, tinnox and 3 others like this.
  15. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I think the 5 minute slow version of Helter Skelter is boring enough and I really hope they don't waste 27 minutes of CD time releasing the long one.

ODIrony, tinnox, Ern and 1 other person like this.
  16. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

If he was going to do that in 1968, he would do that in 1969 with Get Back, Let it Be, and Long and Winding Road.

It was actually the opposite as I believe he was holding Maybe I’m Amazed for the next Beatles album. When it became obvious Lennon and Harrison were done, it went on his solo LP. That’s why it sounds out of place as a real finished song of high quality compared to the others.

tinnox and alexpop like this.
  17. Embracetheday

Helter Skelter is a song where I would greatly welcome a remix.

Love the song and I certainly don’t hate the original mix, but something about it just seems rushed or sloppily mixed to me.

18. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I bet that will be the release date! It's too good not to be!

19. Morton LaBongo

Wow, so true! I mean the date itself practically advertises the product.
    "November 9...November 9..."
    I can totally see (well hear really) Sirius XM doing something like that for the promo campaign.

tinnox and Shaddam IV like this.
  20. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Usually I want everything but very happy no Carnival of Light. By all accounts it was garbage

daveidmarx and tinnox like this.
  21. culabula

culabula Unread author.

And you mean Octopus's Garden.

tinnox likes this.
  22. Morton LaBongo

Yeah, ditto to what you said, though I did like the Pepper Deluxe outtakes. I'd love to get all the White Album content you mentioned, esp. the full-blown Esher. Releasing that on the CD box as well as a vinyl (maybe even 2-disc?) standalone, even if it's limited edition, would be fantastic! I would also dig an alternate take of Cry Baby Cry, one of my all-time favorites. The one on Anth 3 was great but for me the piano just makes the song incredible. Assuming there's a 5.1 remix I'd like the piano and organ to get their own isolated channel so I can hear them better.

I'd like to hear a different take of Dear Prudence too, but I'm not sure one exists outside of the Esher Demos. I think the Lewisohn book says something along the lines of they just rewound the tape and replayed certain instruments till they got what they wanted. I think it may even have been the first official 8-track recording? That said though I did hear a version of the song that was radically different, the instruments have different presence in the mix and some lead guitar is missing. Lennon's voice is absent in the final verse too, and it ends with either a burst of feedback or possibly somebody making a noise with some other instrument. It's pretty interesting. I'd like to hear a good-quality version of that.

If they offered it for free or some token small amount like a dollar, I'd probably give it a listen. I think if it offered anything innovative or interesting we'd have heard some bit of it by now. I've never even read a first-hand account of someone who went to the event and heard it, certainly hundreds of people must have went and many of them must still be alive. It's probably less interesting than their goofy Christmas blurbs (the early and middle ones were rather good though) and less challenging than #9.

tinnox likes this.
  23. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

For free....definitely!!! But there are 2 first hand accounts out there Barry Miles and Mark Lewisohn. And of course the fact that despite emptying the vaults for Anthology was thought so low of not to include

tinnox likes this.
  24. Morton LaBongo

Oh, I didn't know about the Barry Miles one. Lewisohn obviously listened to it and as I recall he gives a rather phlegmatic, scientific description of it and what is on it, but doesn't offer much in the way of the tone of the thing. I suppose there wouldn't be much to describe really though if The Beatles are just playing instruments without any pre-planned idea and shouting random things for seven minutes or whatever it was, and it would probably be hard to verbally describe #9 to someone who hasn't heard it. A lot of Lewisohn's accounts are very accurate but in maybe one or two cases what he heard wasn't what many other people heard when they finally heard it, like Tomorrow Never Knows.

zobalob, tinnox and Glenn Christense like this.
  25. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Maybe they could fade it in and out between other songs, like they did with "Christmas Time (Is Here Again)." (Spoiler: They won't.)

A couple of very reliable people here have recently made very encouraging comments indicating some degree of specific knowledge of what's to come. Signs are promising but I don't consider anything to be officially confirmed yet.

And it's certainly premature to speculate about specific content.
    Mashing up George's vocal with the Lomax backing track would be an artificial, Frankenstein creation rather than an authentic relic of the period; I would be very, very surprised if they put such a thing together. Maybe Harrison recorded a surviving guide vocal, but even then that was outside the band context. If we get "Sour Milk Sea" at all, I would expect the Esher demo, performed by the Beatles as the Beatles. But that is an "if" that relies on a pile of unresolved possibilities. We don't know yet. I'd love a full set of Esher demos, but I'm not in a position to promise them to mysrlf.

Morton LaBongo and tinnox like this.