50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

As someone who knows all the songs but none of the history, do these songs belong on the boxset? The inner light, hey Jude, lady madonna?

tinnox and Aoide like this.
  2. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Maybe, yes, maybe.

Hey Jude and Revolution [single] were recorded during the White Album sessions.

Lady Madonna, Hey Bulldog, The Inner Light, and Across The Universe [World Wildlife Fund version] were recorded in Feb, 1968 so they could put out a single before trekking to India, after which the White Album sessions proper began.

So the latter four could be argued a case for either way...

Edit: The Inner Light was actually started in January, 1968. George's vocal [and then John & Paul's backing vocals] recorded in February finished the song.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  3. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

If the "story" of the WA50 box set is "1968" and the music the Beatles wrote in and around the India trip, then yes, everything they recorded that year belongs in the box. The "Lady Madonna"/"The Inner Light" single (and its outtakes, "Hey Bulldog" and "Across The Universe") was recorded in February to provide the public some "product" while they disappeared to India for what could have been a few months. "Hey Jude" and "Revolution" were recorded during the WA sessions and issued as a single while everyone waited for the new album to be finished.

Everything from that year, imo, is part of the same continuum -- India prep (single), India trip and songwriting, Esher demos (to go through the massive amount of material they had written), WA sessions, summer single sessions, more WA sessions. The following year was similar, as the Get Back sessions broke down and slowly morphed into the Abbey Road sessions (with singles mixed in) -- although if the box set trend continues, I would expect separate releases for Abbey Road and Let It Be.

andrewskyDE, jmxw, DeeThomaz and 5 others like this.
  4. Beatlebug

Beatlebug Another box set won't do any harm

My feeling is that Apple/Universal has plans to release special editions of all the UK albums over the next few years, but not the Past Masters compilations. As such they will include Lady Madonna and The Inner Light on this release.

If/when they get round to With The Beatles this policy will prove invaluable as they could include From Me To You, and all the outtakes, as little or no material exists from the album sessions themselves.

tinnox likes this.
  5. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Indeed. Came to The Beatles in 1980 and know the times and history and the context. But also love the 80's and 90's music being born later than first gen Beatles fans.

tinnox likes this.
  6. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I think we will get Revolution and Hey Jude much like we got SFF and Penny Lane with the Pepper 50th. Revolution obviously because Revolutions 1 and 9 were on the WA. The other? No, imo.

daveidmarx, 2141, milco and 2 others like this.
  7. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

Possibly, the intention was to draw attention to the final bullet point giving the release date. When this thread began, it was about the White Album and Imagine, both of which were rumored to be up for an anniversary release.

tinnox likes this.
  8. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Very wishful thinking. There's no outtakes in the vault to fill even half of the disc for With The Beatles and remixes of 2 track albums is absolutely pointless.

andrewskyDE, Gila and tinnox like this.
  9. Sean Murdock

It's hard for me to see big deluxe box sets for the earliest albums; there's not a ton of extra material to go with them, especially with the BBC recordings being well covered at this point. (Although the Decca demo tape would be a natural companion to Please Please Me.) If Apple does indeed find profit in these, and they continue through Abbey Road and Let It Be, and then wonder where to go next, I could see perhaps a "First Four" Super Deluxe that would release the 1963 & 1964 LPs -- with fancy de-mixing, full-stereo remixes, outtakes, etc. Then they could do Help and Rubber Soul (or even combine those too), maybe do another combo for the MMT/Yellow Sub period -- and then cap it all off with a grand Super Deluxe for perhaps their greatest album, Revolver.

Or, alternately, they could release the WA box and then, for any number of explicable or inexplicable reasons, never do another one. Who knows?

10. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I think we will get "Lady Madonna" and "The Inner Light" represented in the WA 50 box. That was a #1 single that kicked off the year creatively for the band, was released while they were in India, etc. It's very tied to the WA in my mind....

But I expect we will only get "Across the Universe" variations/outtakes in a LET IT BE 50th box since that's the LP it finally landed on, and who knows about "Hey Bulldog"...sadly.

Maybe the Yellow Submarine Soundtrack will get a deluxe 2 disc reissue with outtakes, or perhaps the "stray '67" songs and Bulldog will be compiled in their own set...I proposed doing just that and calling it CARNIVAL OF LIGHT with a remix of that infamous recording as the closing track. I believe the YS soundtrack was originally released in January 1969, correct? So that could still happen for the 50th in January 2019, theoretically.

You have 11 solid tracks that were not on Pepper or original MMT EP that were recorded between Dec. 66 - Feb 68, covering the breadth of the band's "psychedelic period."

I feel like Apple is currently missing an opportunity to, like Capitol used to do, create a "new" Beatles album of existing songs:

Carnival of Light LP (all remixes or alternate takes)

Side A
    Strawberry Fields Forever (version 1)
    Penny Lane
    Hey Bulldog
    Only a Northern Song
    Baby You're a Rich Man
    All Together Now

Side B
    All You Need is Love
    It's All Too Much
    Hello Goodbye
    Strawberry Fields Forever (version 2)
    Carnival of Light

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    Beatlebug and tinnox like this.
  11. Sean Murdock

Our resident inside scooper mike says definitely "Hey Jude" and "Revolution" (remixed) and "outtakes from both" singles will be included:

"Not only the remixed single will be available but also outtakes from both (also outtakes from 'another' single) I predict."

50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

12. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Only about 4 months and one week until the release of the 2018 White Album products.

tinnox likes this.
  13. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Which makes me wonder whether Hey Jude/Revolution will also be released as singles on their August anniversary.

To me, both songs were monumental for the times and deserve special recognition outside of a boxed set.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  14. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

I remember hearing Mike say that an RSD release of a remixed Hey Jude/Revolution single was being considered for later this year.

15. beatleroadie

What does "also outtakes from 'another' single" mean exactly? Another is in quotes. That's throwing me off ha. The only other single that year was "Lady Madonna" b/w "The Inner Light". So it has to be that, correct? Or is that just conjecture?

Hoping we get a great mix of the promo film version of "Revolution"! Love the fast gritty version that also has the raw doo-wop backing vocals. Paul's whoops and hollers are a lot of fun on that performance.

16. beatleroadie

I nice picture sleeve reissue on vinyl 7" would be awesome. Or even a 12" with Hey Jude + outtake on Side A, and Revolution + outtake on Side B.

tinnox, Monasmee and planckera like this.
  17. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

That's an interesting take, but... seems unlikely. Another box coming so soon after the very big White Box, and within the same year as Abbey Road [probably]... I just don't see it. Yellow Sub soundtrack will probably be skipped over just like MMT was.

Also, why two Strawberry Fields? And the proper release of Carnival Of Light is doubtful. Especially as, if included in full it would take an entire side [of an LP], and if truncated would produce howls from the socks and sandals brigade...

And now you've orphaned the MMT EP tracks. Where would they get deluxe released if not for the MMT album? Or... [as I have said repeatedly in other threads] combine the MMT & YS tracks. That would give them all a home and remove one redundant All You Need Is Love. It makes even more sense now that MMT [album] has had Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane pulled from it to Sgt Pepper... I'm just sayin'.... :rolleyes:

Flippikat, tinnox and beatleroadie like this.
  18. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

I think Abbey Road is the only other definite release. It would be great if they did Let it Be, Rubber Soul, and Revolver, but I'll believe it when I see it. All of the others, I'm just not sure there's enough material/justification for doing these kinds of releases. I'd happily buy all of them, but I don't see it happening.

IronWaffle, tinnox and Sean Murdock like this.
  19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, the only other 1968 UK Beatles single was Lady Madonna/The Inner Light. So it has to be that. The only caveat is that Mike did say "I predict". So maybe he is not 100% certain.

ODIrony, tinnox and mikecarrera like this.
  20. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

I am, but I can say that or will be punished for life, for me it's better say "I predict" at this early stage, But Lady Madonna will be IN.

21. beatleroadie

I was thinking a "Carnival of Light" LP would be a separate compilation from the current 50th Anniversary pattern...an excuse to take these "orphan" Beatles songs from the psychedelic era and do more "Love style" remixes on them, and release it well after these anniversary editions, and even after they (hopefully) go back from Revolver and MMT. So, in like 5-6 years from now.

I like the idea of including both versions of Strawberry Fields on such a compilation, because two complete versions were made, then melded into one for the original master. This psychedelic compilation would be unique in only presenting the slow and fast versions as bookends for the album, instead of having just one track which is the original combination of the two, for a different listening experience.

It's just a fanciful idea ha! It would be a way to get "Carnival of Light" out without releasing it alone or as a single, but as part of this remixed patchwork...It would sell a ton! And I can hear Paul's publicity comment..."This is the Beatles at our most far out!" One can dream...

richierichie, tinnox and Monasmee like this.
  22. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Hey, watch what you say! Apple might be monitoring the site!

That's actually not really too far off from some of the repackages they did in the 1970s and 1980s.

ODIrony, tinnox and planckera like this.
  23. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Well, Back In The USSR and Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da/Julia and Helter Skelter were on singles also... just not until 1976.

Come to think of it, Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da/While My Guitar Gently Weeps was released as a single in several markets in 1968. That might put it in 'quotes'. :winkgrin:

But, nah, it's probably a reference to LM/TIL.

tinnox likes this.
  24. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I am listening to the MONO version from the 2009 CD set right now. That is all, carry on.

25. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

The issue here is that EMI/Parlophone/Apple have adopted the US MMT as part of the Beatles catalog.

tinnox likes this.