50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I'm talking about a compilation album of unique mixes (my idea is in a more progressive Love style of remixing where all the songs bleed together).

I mean a compilation just like 1 is a compilation and Red and Blue are and the YS Soundtrack is.

I'm not talking about making a new CD that is canon and replaces anything else in the core Beatles canon

tinnox likes this.
  2. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Oh, well in that case... I would take off Carnival Of Light and add You Know My Name and Tomorrow Never Knows... Come to think of it, I'm not a huge fan of Baby You're A Rich Man, so maybe replace that with Rain.. and maybe replace All Together Now with Good Day Sunshine... and Only A Northern Song with Love You Too.. And throw in I Am The Walrus for good measure...

Now we're having a festival of psychedelic fun... :magoo:

ODIrony, tinnox and beatleroadie like this.
  3. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

The obvious solution here...to avoid track overlaps on boxsets...to avoid UK vs. US configurations and mixes...to avoid any stray songs...is:

Release a boxset for each and every song individually for the 60th anniversaries! Includes all takes, alternate versions, edits, stereo, mono, multi tracks to make your own mixes, stand-out live versions, etc.

Can't wait for Her Majesty.

4. beatleroadie

A LET IT BE boxed set makes a ton of sense, based on the amount of outtake material and filmed material (Apple can use the box as a way/excuse to essentially re-release the documentary film without having a standalone film release which they seem reluctant to do).

And don't forget LET IT BE has two of the biggest selling and most recognizable Beatles songs of all: Get Back and Let it Be. Seems like a lock for an Anniversary edition.

Isn't "Let it Be" the band's top seller on iTunes and top on Spotify streaming after the Carpool Karaoke? Those two tracks are evergreens and always popular.

5. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The pickings are indeed slim for 1963 if we're limited to session tapes, but aren't there still a few radio concerts out there that could flesh out a multi-album "Early Years" deluxe set? There's also the Decca tape, as others have observed.

I like that version as well, but I'm not sure how much of a "mix" is possible because the vocals were recorded straight to mono videotape. I suppose they could spectrally separate the vocals from the other elements, and then fly it into a stereo mix of the backing track, but I don't know what sort of digital artifacts that might create.

ODIrony and tinnox like this.
  6. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

The only radio concert from that era is from Stockholm which is already released on Anthology. And unlikely Decca tape will be released. Especially with copyright lose

tinnox likes this.
  7. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Couldn't agree more. These big sets often work best when they have a story to tell, and the Let It Be saga is a doozy-- and fortunately, the sessions were well documented with an almost overwhelming amount of audio and video. The biggest challenge may be to find a way to present the material in a way that's approachable and works as an enjoyable listening experience to an audience that may not be familiar with the bootlegs, but I'm confident that's a nut they can crack.

8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

How about that!

9. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

The audio for the promo "Revolution" only exists (so far) on the mono soundtrack of the clip. We did get that (remastered) on the 1+ DVD -- although it sounded very harsh to me...

slane, Gila and tinnox like this.
  10. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

We can assume they won't be doing a lenticular cover this time around, right? What could they do special other than individual numbers?

Peter_R, ODIrony, Tom Daniels and 2 others like this.
  11. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Bummer, was hoping that there were multis available for it.

tinnox likes this.
  12. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Since the backing track was the original single, it may be fairly simple to isolate the vocals by phase-cancelling (oopsing) out the instrumental portion.

IronWaffle and tinnox like this.
  13. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

I think it SHOULD be lenticular. It would be hilarious.

14. Sean Murdock

Assuming you could perfectly sync the mono single and the backing of the mono video, right? I just remember Giles saying for 1+ that there was nothing he could do for the audio on that track other than remaster it... But I'd love for someone to try your suggestion ... You certainly have the skills for it -- have you tried?

EDIT: Now you've really got me curious ... we know Giles likes doing the spectral stuff (aka "demixing") ... I wonder if he'll take a crack at such a challenge and use a combination of OOPS and spectral editing to make a stereo mix of the "Revolution" video performance...

tinnox likes this.
  15. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Nope, not possible.

If it was possible somebody would have done it at least 15 years ago.

Spectral might be able to isolate the vocals better.

IronWaffle, Sean Murdock and tinnox like this.
  16. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Hey @beatleroadie if I was the boss at Apple Corps I'd certainly give you the job of overseeing the Beatles Box Set Reissue Program. No more roadie-ing for you my friend.

17. Sean Murdock

Heh ... you're the other person (besides Veech) who I would have expected to have tried something like that ... did you ever attempt to sync up the promo soundtrack with the mono single?

tinnox likes this.
  18. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

You can't do it manually stacking two different WAVs because the sampling won't divide the peaks at the exact same spots even at 44.1k sampling rate.

It would require software that could dynamically align the waveforms without regard to samples. It would also have to be smart to microscopically squeeze and stretch probably at literally every peak and valley.

Things can sorta be extracted with spectral editing but it's usually artifact laden.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  19. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Yeah, it would be extremely tough and would have to be done surgically. However.. there are a couple of available programs which might do a decent job of extracting the vocals.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    tinnox and MerseyBeatle like this.
  20. beatleroadie

Even if it has to be essentially the mix that was used for 1+, maybe they could improve that slightly so it's less harsh sounding. Would be fun to blast that one in the car!

And @richierichie that may be the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me ha :winkgrin:

21. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

By awesome if they made a video for the remixed Revolution#9 :)

ODIrony, tinnox and jlf like this.
  22. Sean Murdock

What apps would you suggest are the best for vocal extractions, spectral editing, etc.?

tinnox likes this.
  23. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I`ll be very appy if they manage it!

tinnox likes this.
  24. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

They should include Revolution #9 played backwards.

The Beave and tinnox like this.
  25. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

oh boy.. spectral editing is a real pita but if you want to go there, I would suggest iZotope RX6 and lots of time. Lots.

There are apps that do auto-separation of music, drums and vocals but so far none of them give great results without having to resort to spectral editing to clean up the stems. Check into XTRAX STEMS for that kind of thing. Note- this tech is still in its infancy. I am beta testing a stems app called SourceRE Pro that seems promising, their reverb extraction is pretty darn accurate. No news yet on when it will go gold but when it does I would suggest checking it out.

I ran the "live" Revolution on XTRAX STEMS attempting a vocal extraction, the results were not promising. I may revisit tomorrow and try some tweaking of the settings. I really need to find a good clean source for the track first.