50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. multi.flacs.project

multi.flacs.project Forum Resident

Thanks, appreciate it! Mixing and syncing of the backing track in audactiy, spectral substraction from the live track in Sony SpectraLayers and final sweetening of the raw isolation to match the vocal stem win ISSE. Like I said, if you put enough time into it, match and align the tracks carefully, you could get very listenable results. As it stands this is just a gimmick. You could of course also take this remix to upmix the original mono track with ISSE and get away with minimal artifacts instantly, but the fidelity of the mono tracks is poor to begin with. I need to finally put together my spectral audio alignment tool to improve the workflow...

2. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Having this afternoon seen Yellow Submarine in a theater for the first time in 50 years I have decided that All Together Now is a lost White Album track and deserves sequencing therein.

I am trying to determine where to place it and what track shall get dropped. I will let you know my decision shortly.

tinnox and Diamond Star Halo like this.
  3. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

We're all looking forward

4. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

Actually, I agree with you. I would add All Together Now and drop Wild Honey Pie. It would make disc 1 stronger, and it would flow even better.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    tinnox and Morton LaBongo like this.
  5. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

It’s Side 4:

Revolution (Single)
    Honey Pie
    Savoy Truffle
    All Together Now
    Cry Baby Cry
    Hey Jude (Single)

Dropped: Revolution 1, Revolution 9, Good Night

It’s actually listenable now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
    tinnox, Gila and planckera like this.
  6. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

That could also work if you remove Can You Take Me Back from CBC and replace it by All Together Now, that might sound great

tinnox, schnitzerphilip and jlf like this.
  7. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

So what would be your least favorite Beatles album!? ;)

Seriously though, I think this would be a good listen. I wouldn't replace side 4 permanently, but I think it would flow well.

tinnox and schnitzerphilip like this.
  8. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

You know, I think putting it in place of Wild Honey Pie makes disc 1 all the more stronger. For one thing, it kinds of works as an acoustic lead-in to Bungalow Bill, which opens with acoustic guitar "playing." I know it's a Mellotron thing, but it is a brief acoustic bit, and Bungalow Bill itself seems to have an acoustic kind of overall sound to it. Both songs (ATN and BB I mean) are sing-alongs with choruses that someone can easily take part in even the first time they hear it. All Together Now is brief, and so is Wild Honey Pie, and it doesn't really change the flow all that much. Except perhaps for making it better. Kicking out WHP in my opinion also seems to support your earlier statement a few days ago that White Album disc 1 would work well as an "introductory" Beatles album. With ATN on it, it becomes a stronger acoustic disc. And also you don't have to explain about WHP when the listener asks what they are doing or if it's supposed to be a real "song."

9. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

I want to use disc 1 as a Frisbee. What tracks and sequencing would be best, aerodynamically?

10. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Back In the USSR sound effects for starters. ;)

11. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Then it would really be listenable.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
    tinnox and FKA002 like this.
  12. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

And Blackbird of course!

13. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

And in this day & age Piggies are indeed flying. ;)

14. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

15. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Drop Honey Pie and put back Good Night after Hey Jude. Then it might work.

tinnox likes this.
  16. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

I wish they would fact check these things before publishing them.
    It's a good article, but then they make the blunder of saying Lennon is on bass for the long version, when he is on rhythm guitar and George is lead. John was on bass when they re-recorded it . Sorry for the nitpick.

tinnox likes this.
  17. joejoe

joejoe Forum Resident

I was just thinking today that it would be great if they could do a LOVE style mashup of Revolution and the "live"version for the 50th anniversary and here it is today! Today I was putting together music for my parents 50th wedding anniversary party in August (all things 1968), They are the reason I love the Beatles. I think I will include this version for the party. Thanks for all your work.

ODIrony and tinnox like this.
  18. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

There used to be a video on YouTube many years ago of "I'm So Tired" with what sounded like backwards guitar if I'm remembering correctly...Or possibly it could have just been extra lead guitar bits, but I recall liking it. Anyone remember that? Was it legit or an outtake?

If John viewed "I'm So Tired" as a sequel to "I'm Only Sleeping" maybe he had the idea to do backwards guitar on the song as well...Of course an intrepid fan faker could have had the same thought.

tinnox likes this.
  19. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

Yeah I used to think it was John too. But The Rockband studio chat segment for that track gives strong impression that it's Paul on his Jazz bass, though that studio chat could've been manipulated of course.

Listening to Anthology take I can totally believe it's John on bass, he plays only one note (E) in quarter note rhythm, not even changing it when there's refrain going on.

Seeing how he sucked with bass parts on other tracks he rarely played it on, I really have doubts that he is hammering that bass line for the album version take(s).

tinnox likes this.
  20. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

How about Fixing A Hole. Do you think the bass on that sucks?

tinnox likes this.
  21. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Paul played bass on FAH.

tinnox likes this.
  22. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

No he didn't.

Richard Lush: "I do remember that Lennon played the bass on that track. He used a Burns bass on it. If you play the album you can pick it out because it’s very simple, and a ploppy sort of sound. It didn’t sound as rich as Paul’s Rickenbacker bass." George Martin, in his book "Summer Of Love," insists that Paul relinquished the keyboard role on the song to him while Paul took up his usual instrument of bass guitar.

However, the 2017 release of the 50th Anniversary Edition of the album settles the issue once and for all. 'Take one' of "Fixing A Hole," which was used for the finished product, was "bounced back to the four-track from another machine" to become 'take two. ' 'Take three,' which is contained on the reissue as a bonus track, shows that the obvious musician playing the harpsichord on the song is Paul singing lead vocals at the same time. Therefore Richard Lush was correct when he assumed John was on bass, this being reiterated by Kevin Howlett's liner notes for the 50th Anniversary release in 2017.

The third verse has a very obvious bass flub in the fifth measure where John begins his syncopated three-note run too early, him catching himself and correcting it in the sixth measure.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  23. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

For such a simple bass part, he did too many flubs. I do like it, though. That C-F-G# 'three note run' is quite unusual to me, at least.

There' many more. When I tried to transcribe it he first time (around 2005 or so, was long ago), I wrecked my head on what is that. I had no knowledge who played it and assumed it was Paul, and since his bass is usually fine (he does some flubs here and there too, but rare) I thought these mistakes were some muffled tom sounds or something.

Now I know it was John, basically winging it, and album version has two basses going at the same time, which adds to the confusion brew even more. Maybe he didn't have time to practice that song.

tinnox likes this.
  24. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Some sources say that there were two bass lines recorded. Perhaps they both played bass? If not, certainly McCartney showed Lennon what to play.

tinnox likes this.
  25. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Had never listened to it from that perspective- adds another interesting dimension to an already great song

tinnox likes this.