50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Bern

Bern JC4Me

One question for you @mikecarrera ....will the WA be blu-ray only or will their be a blu-ray/standard DVD like Sgt. Pepper?

Bern

Shaddam IV, tinnox and mikecarrera like this.
  2. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

I will start posting some more info at the proper time, watch this space, remember one hint from last two months: one format that was on Pepper won't be anymore with WA50th and that doesn't mean a bad thing. Just open your eyes next week when Imagine is announced and details exposed.

3. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Just 8 days to we go in the record store and buy this
    [​IMG]

4. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

You said it won't waste any CD space, which must mean it's on the blu-ray/DVD.

BeSteVenn, GeekMonster_ and tinnox like this.
  5. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Sounds like blu-ray only. I may have to get an external for the computer as I'd want the 5.1 tracks.
    Or....maybe dvd only. One of the Sgt. Pepper formats is going away....that's the clue.
    Bern

6. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Found the rumour about The Beatles "freezing out" George Martin interesting. Makes you wonder if they bristle at suggestions that he is the "fifth Beatle" and almost equally responsible for some of their best work.

Beatle Ed and tinnox like this.
  7. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member Thread Starter

White vinyl fingers crossed

drum_cas likes this.
  8. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

Realistically, this 50th release won't be announced until after press has died down on Egypt Station, so a press release would be expected one week after at the earliest. On the other hand, @mikecarrera has told us that the press release will come before October 9th (beginning of Imagine releases), so I would reliably say that October is out of the picture concerning press releases too.

Putting everything together, the press release will most likely come on the week of the 23rd, but the week of the 16th is possible too.

tinnox, ODIrony and GeekMonster_ like this.
  9. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Neil Young's BD Live material from his Archives is an example of disappearing content.

tinnox and EdwinM like this.
  10. beatlesaint

beatlesaint Forum Resident

Could be download only

Bern and tinnox like this.
  11. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Wouldn't that be a small window between press release and product release? Assuming of course the release date is November 9th

tinnox likes this.
  12. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Summer vacation in Maine begins, yesterday was a travel day. End of Disc 1 felt like a good time to take our family journey up north.

Back up and running and continuing the reviews starting Disc 2 today.

13. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Where in Maine? I'm on vacation in Wells Beach.

tinnox and schnitzerphilip like this.
  14. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Goose Rocks.

Little chilly this week, refreshing after the NJ July and August sauna. Next week back up to the 80’s so will be more beach-like.

tinnox likes this.
  15. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I meant the respective original concepts. The Imagine sessions were filmed resulting in hours of session footage and of course promos, whereas the White Album had none, excepting the stand-alone single Hey Jude/ Revolution promos and the solo rehearsals for Blackbird and Helter Skelter. Likewise, far more audio material was recorded for the WA. Not saying this is how things will break down upon release. MY best guess, is that Yoko is going all out while she has the capability to be hands on, while Apple/Universal will continue releasing Beatles projects for the unforeseeable future. Ron

16. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

Enjoy! Us natives are busy fixing their chimneys and replacing rotted sill sections. To be honest though, I'm near Bar Harbor at the moment having a mini vacation.

schnitzerphilip and tinnox like this.
  17. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

I'm listening to Anthology 3 for the first time in... years and years. I'm getting really excited.

For starters, I forgot how crisp and clear the Esher demos were on this release.

In addition to that, I'm not sure how many takes of the unreleased songs were done (What's the New Mary Jane, Los Paranoias, You Know My Name, Can You Take Me Back?, Not Guilty) but it will be exciting to hear what there is of those.

Plus, 10+ versions of Good Night? Fingers crossed!!

Shaddam IV and tinnox like this.
  18. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

If there is Blu-Ray only material, this will be the thing that spurs me to get a Blu-Ray player.

Shaddam IV and tinnox like this.
  19. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Idk...Brainwashed hit on this. How much actual VIDEO content surrounding the WA is there? Since the WA would be mostly audio only...maybe it'll be DVD.
    Bern

tinnox likes this.
  20. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Vinyl will be emphasized similar to what's being offered for Egypt Station. Multiple vinyl products. More money involved and more demand.

tinnox likes this.
  21. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Highly unlikely, the storage available on Blu-Ray vastly exceeds that of a DVD and would have space for a hi-res surround mix, hi-res two channel remix, mono mix, Esher demos and out-takes, associated singles. See the excellent reissues of some XTC albums in recent years that have the original mix, remix, surround mix, instrumental mixes, associated singles, b-sides, out-takes, demos and promo films on one Blu-Ray disc, in hi-res to boot.

22. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Can they overcharge for a loaded up blu-ray product?

tinnox likes this.
  23. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Well let's see... There are several different promos for Hey Jude and Revolution, though mostly just alternate camera shots. There's the fascinating Music! programme which shows various takes for Hey Jude and busks of other tunes. The familiar cut has George in the control room with Ken Scott, but earlier footage of him playing electric guitar were filmed too. Perhaps the infamous Hey Jude answering riff disagreement?? There's Mad Day Out footage (silent?) and of course film exists from their trip to India, maybe including music/rehearsals/busks? Now, throw in the promos for Lady Madonna/Hey Bulldog, Apple films Blackbird and Helter Skelter, Mary Hopkin, Apple Boutigue opening... all of sudden we have more film than perhaps expected. This doesn't include any possible private filming by the Beatles that has never been seen. Is it likely we'll get all of this and more? Probably not, but there is more video than perhaps the average fan knows about or has seen. Wouldn't an unreleased take of Not Guilty be nice with some silent Mad Day Out footage? I'd sure like it! Ron

24. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

The mania for the 2014 AAA mono vinyl surely has not gone unnoticed.

ODIrony and tinnox like this.
  25. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

I highly doubt that they would want this to be so expensive that it would exclude all but the fanatics. The vinyl release(s) will maybe be the place for that, it's perhaps worth remembering that Egypt Station is a new album whereas the WA is an archival release that will be treated differently.

Glenn Christense, DRM and tinnox like this.