50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

Does anyone know for certain that the Esher demos were 1" 4 track? Did George have a Studer? Is there any chance they were 8 track? The May 1968 time frame coincides with EMI's purchase of the 3M machines, and I seem to recall that George Harrison had a 3M machine before EMI. I asked way, way, back in the thread but didn't hear anything.

tinnox likes this.
  2. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

A fine song and for me it adds to the 'Pop-art'-atmosphere of the album. It is a happy tune, but the atmosphere (for some reason) seems a bit hollow and the playfulness seems a bit forced. Typical 'drum solo' from Ringo...

tinnox and schnitzerphilip like this.
  3. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

That would be awesome. The lyrics are just don’t work on non-birthdays unfortunately.

Sean Murdock and tinnox like this.
  4. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Ampex 4 track. No doubt.

jtiner and tinnox like this.
  5. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

It would have been interesting as a one-off "novelty" single or b-side given the subject matter...The Beatles Birthday song.

And it certainly could have been that, had the band shaved things down to a single LP with lots of leftovers.

I love the "yes we're going to a a party, party" line... What if that was carried out into the theme of the song, and instead of calling it "Birthday" it was called "Friday" or something, and it's more of a generic song about partying on the weekend rather than specifically a Birthday party...

Derek Slazenger and tinnox like this.
  6. beatleroadie

Do we have knowledge of whether ALL the four-track recordings from Esher still exist, or are some of those songs only available from the mono copies that were made for John and Paul?

tinnox likes this.
  7. Bern

Bern JC4Me

I'm hoping that Giles just remixed as he pleased...and had someone who is familiar (really familiar) listen. And hoping that the 5.1 mix is 'out there' and not lamo like Pepper was. What's the point of 5.1 anyway if you're going to be conservative?

Bern

8. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

I always thought it was "yes we're going to a private party".
    Much like many of McCartney's lyrics, I was disappointed to hear what it really was.

tinnox and beatleroadie like this.
  9. Bern

Bern JC4Me

To be determined I guess. I would think they still exist...since we got some via Anthology 3.
    Bern

tinnox likes this.
  10. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Interesting that The Beatles did a birthday song for Mike Love in India and then put this out when they came back. Do you suppose the impromptu ML birthday tune could have sparked the idea that led to this song? I wonder if it might end up on the White Album Deluxe. I'd love to hear a version of it that doesn't have Wolfman Jack talking over the instrumental break.

tinnox and Shaddam IV like this.
  11. beatleroadie

I guess the cynical theory is that the Esher songs we got on Anthology 3 were chosen because they were the only (or a majority of the only) songs that still existed on 4 track multis (could explain for instance why, with all the songs available, we got "Glass Onion" when it's represented elsewhere on A3, and "Junk" when it ended up a Paul solo tune rather than more well-known and not represented songs like "Revolution," "Dear Prudence")....Hopefully that's not true though and that all of them are available and able to be mixed and released in stereo!

I wonder if George did, or ever thought to bring all those 4 track recordings to EMI to keep them there for reference/archiving, or did they just think of these demos as a take-home thing?

I know it's common practice now, especially with digital recording, but are there any documented instances of the Beatles recording something at home (other than tape loops) and bringing a copy to Abbey Road where it was saved and archived?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    tinnox likes this.
  12. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

Guess its time for my monthly visit to this thread. Any new info in the past month?

tinnox likes this.
  13. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

[​IMG]

You lookin' for trouble, man ?

14. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Agree with grade...song probably wouldn't have made it if it were a single LP. That's why I'm glad they went the double route.
    Birthday started as 4 track and then bumped to 8 for overdubs.
    Bern

15. beatleroadie

The other thing few talk about is WHY the Beatles decided to record all those demos at George's house. Was it really to catalog what compositions they all had and decide what kind of record they wanted to make next out of all that material?

Or was it actually a concerted effort to see what an acoustic Beatles album with a loose camp-like vibe might sound like, with the thought of replicating that vibe closely in the studio?

I've often wondered if they were inspired by Dylan and the Band to record at home. The first bootlegs of the BASEMENT TAPES would not surface until a year later, but in spring of '68 it would have been a year after the Basement Tapes were recorded...Could George and the others have caught wind that Bob and the Band were recording loose stuff at their house in Woodstock, and decided they wanted to try something similar? George, John and Donovan were all Dylan acolytes and all hanging out together in India before the Esher sessions. Then the Beatles go and do a "Basement Tapes" style document...Interesting!

16. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

...duh?

ralph7109 and tinnox like this.
  17. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

My advanced copy of the "50th" Anniversary-"The Beatles" arrived Saturday compliments of EMI-Michael Bradford. Thanks Michael! The deluxe edition "box" is very similar to the "50th Anniversary" SPLHCB" from Japan in that it contains 'pop up" diorama figures of "the roof top concert". Really cool!

18. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Guess we see things differently on this one. I see Birthday as one of the stronger tracks on the record. If the WA had been a single album (gasp), Birthday certainly would have been included, imo.

Bern, petem1966 and tinnox like this.
  19. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

Maybe even the opener on one of the sides. Like it is :)

2141 and tinnox like this.
  20. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

We are going in with clear heads and hoping for the best. We had hoped this time to do a lot of rehearsing before we reached the studios rather than rehearse actually on the instruments but, as it happens, all we got was one day.

-Paul McCartney, 1968

21. Bern

Bern JC4Me

22. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Great pic! No offense against the Wolfman, he was a huge part of my music life growing up. Dude was a classic. Awoooo!

23. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Clap for the Wolfman
    He gonna rate your record high

24. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Huh?

So.... the lyrics of Lovely Rita only work in the presence of a meter maid?
    The lyrics of Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite only work in the presence of a carnival?
    The lyrics of Maxwell's Silver Hammer only work in the presence of hammer-wielding murderers?

25. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

As I (mis?)understand it, George’s personal archive was completely unorganized, a collection of unlabeled tapes. At the time of Anthology I think what they used was what they could find on four track. But over time his archive has been gone through and organized and now they supposedly have all 27 demos from four track.