50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

yes but the Anthology does not have the harmonium in the beginning

2. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

It could be that the harmonium is present throughout much of the song and was only mixed into the middle section of the Anthology version. Perhaps they decided to include it into the beginning of the song for the 50th anniversary mix.

I guess we'll find out in a couple more weeks...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    tinnox likes this.
  3. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I listened again, definitely different take. Harmonium is very prominent and around 37 seconds in you can hear John talking

4. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

the digital book is not easy to find what you are looking for on PDF so after going crazy trying to find the Goodnight notes, do not fancy trying to find anything else

John Inglis, drum_cas and tinnox like this.
  5. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

So it's George on acoustic and Paul on harmonium, with John talking from the control room?

tinnox likes this.
  6. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

ok, went back and listened again to that track.....Revolution 1 (track 18) is very good.....a slow bluesy guitar version that may go on a bit too long at 10:28 but it does have a nice stretch of John Lennon screaming vocals with a little ad lib. That's how I would describe it....definitely an interesting listen though

Beatle Ed, John Inglis, Bern and 5 others like this.
  7. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

honestly I can't tell where they are, because the PDF book is hard to navigate, just not willing to make a job out of it. But about 31 seconds in, you can hear John clearly say "Yeah, maybe you have to give him his own mic". And then George continues, but a distinct short break which is not on the Anthology version

John Inglis, drum_cas, tinnox and 3 others like this.
  8. BuCo

Does the whole book comes as a downloadable PDF with the boxset?

tinnox likes this.
  9. BuCo

I see. Would be cool of they gave the physical book and a PDF download code with the box set

tinnox likes this.
  10. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Let it Be rehearsal is only 1:17 long. It's just that, a rehearsal but playing different notes and Brother Malcolm instead of Mother Mary. But not my idea of a highlight

11. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Think I answered all the questions posed to me. Logging off for tonight

Beatle Ed, John Inglis, jmxw and 7 others like this.
  12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Summer of love, si.
    Maybe Sell Out was in year in planning. That means Tommy is going to be delayed now. Missed opportunity.

tinnox likes this.
  13. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Sell Out did come out in December 1967, so practically 1968. Not that that really matters, but.

tinnox likes this.
  14. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Well sadly, several people posted they had advance copies & how terrific they are.

Then disappeared without offering any further reviews, info or specifics ! Which begs the question, why mention it at all, if you don't care to offer reviews & descriptions ? I have a ball & you don't ?

As to spoilers, I want all the info I can get, on albums like this, whenever I can get it.

In ancient times, before the modern internet, we'd get 1 or 2 articles in Rolling Stone or Crawdaddy or Circus & that was it. We were happy to get any info we could, in a pre information based society. Whether it was pre release, post release or whatever.

I don't gripe about people that prefer a surprise, but that's pretty easy to accomplish, just stop reading the thread. A policy of reader beware

I believe we got one snippet of info, paying McCartney starts randomly singing Love me do, Love me do, in the middle of Revolution take 18.

What this Mama Dada thing is, people are mentioning I have no idea. What is that ?

15. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

Thank you for your answers.

OptimisticGoat, tinnox and maccawings like this.
  16. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

The mama dada thing is a bit from Revolution Take 20, a piece that's been floating around on bootlegs and the Internet for a few years. People are pretty fond of it and were hoping it might show up on the box. Although the booted version sounds pretty darn good.
    And the folks who have access to review copies have said quite a bit on here.
    At least I've seen a lot. More than just the love me do bit you've seen.
    Not sure how you've missed it.
    But, I think they need to be somewhat careful. The label probably doesn't like info to find its way out in an unauthorized fashion.

tinnox and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  17. voles

voles Forum Lurker

I believe that if you quote something, you should give a reference. But ultimately it is up to you of course.

tinnox likes this.
  18. voles

voles Forum Lurker

You think they might block the release or simply send round the heavies?

19. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

And the false start where John gets the guitar part wrong and does a funny voice which makes them all laugh. Got to include that one.

20. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Well they were ultimately from the original analog tapes...

21. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Listen here. There were several hours between me reading that and me posting.

You start by copying every goddamn link to your clipboard for possible future pasting. And then paste a link for everything you read and reference!

Can you live up to that? If not, then lay off with your critisism. Practice what you preach.

Beatle Ed and tinnox like this.
  22. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Wasn't the latter some kind of unofficial mono dub?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    tinnox likes this.
  23. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Yes, some of us haven't decided whether we want it or not yet.

tinnox and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  24. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Just to be clear, the Anthology 3 version is Take 1 at Abbey Road on 25th July 1968, featuring George's solo vocal and acoustic, plus harmonium overdub - it has nothing to do with the Esher demo of this song (not saying you're conflating them, but just making sure for all here that we are discussing two different acoustic recordings of the same song).

This version was mixed in the 1980's by Geoff Emerick, for the cancelled "Sessions" album (as were a number of other tracks used in the Anthology series, including Leave My Kitten Alone, What's the New Mary Jane etc.), and the repetition of the ending was done at that time, via looping of that one little phrase that George played near the end. The original unedited Take 1 has a full finish, as you note.

The Band, Maidenpriest and tinnox like this.
  25. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

Anyone who has the box (@maccawings @daveidmarx etc) can you let us know your thoughts on the remix itself pleeeease? Any tracks work particular well, any that perhaps didn’t? Obviously all your own opinion and others may feel differently so no judgement will be passed...

Beatle Ed and tinnox like this.