50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I have always had a love for stripped down versions, so the Esher Demos is really right up my alley. Not that I don't love the released versions but I have a love for sparse versions

2. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Also, he barely touched the "hole in the middle" stereo image of Rubber Soul, which is the main problem of the original stereo mix.

ODIrony, JohnKale, DK Pete and 4 others like this.
  3. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Isn't it true that by the time of LOVE interviews and promo, George Martin had forgotten he remixed Help and Rubber Soul in 87? He was of advanced age at the time but still. Might explain just how little thought/time he personally put into those remixes, perhaps not all that much.

John Bliss, ODIrony, tinnox and 2 others like this.
  4. JerryJ

JerryJ Forum Resident

I did read an interview with him and he talks about remixing those 2. He called the original stereo mixes "Wooly" or something like that - don't quite know what that means, but they had huge stereo separations.

5. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

That interview you mention Jerry may have been in the late 80s or 90s. I'm pretty sure I read an interview in the 2000s where he'd forgotten about remixing those records for CD...

6. Isaac Azimuth

Isaac Azimuth Forum Resident

I may be reaching, but I believe in '87, as he went back into the masters, he already thought of them as "premixed." By that I mean his four-track tapes were so well organized that - newly given good setups, with formats he remembered successfully using, proper compression levels applied (maybe already printed?) and "modern" reverb used sparingly - maybe he felt he could then basically supervise while his "potboiler" recordings took care of themselves. I just don't see him glued to the faders with this material.

And possibly this is why remixing them in '87 wasn't particularly memorable to him.

PS JerryJ, I remember his "wooly" description, too, which I recall he felt he'd remedied.
    I must go dig that one up...

tinnox likes this.
  7. JerryJ

JerryJ Forum Resident

Yeah, the interview I read was quite a while ago - not much later after the 1987 CD releases - so late 80's, early 90's is about right.

Isaac Azimuth and tinnox like this.
  8. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Ah. Now I know how US fans knew what they were getting back in 1968...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

The outtake, I'm on my iPad in bed 'til morning, Uncut isn't with me but he made distinctions between the quite album version and the outtake which is louder but not in DR values.

Sean Murdock and tinnox like this.
  10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

So, my guess with 'hype sticker' was right then.

NumberEight and tinnox like this.
  11. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

Wonder what ol' Schnitz will think of this version when he hears it?! Still Hey Jude to close the LP or...? :shh:

12. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

We understand. Just send the PDF to a few volunteers, and we'll be glad to take this burden off your shoulders.

13. Isaac Azimuth

Isaac Azimuth Forum Resident

Reply to NumberEight (I couldn't get a screen grab of your cover, oops) but...

This U.S. fan walked by his local record store every day on his way home from school and HAD to stop to look in their window, where the White Album sat as an open gatefold. I'd stand there and read those mad, wonderful titles, trying to imagine what the music could be which accompanied such words. Another month, another month, I'd tell myself each time, then continue on home.

It was as impossible then as it's becoming now. Sound unheard, I was obsessed with this album from minute one in '68. I'm absolutely no better now. Counting the days again.

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yes odd wacky furniture.

bobcat and tinnox like this.
  15. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

But 23 days goes so much faster when you're 50 years older, doesn't it? It'll be here in a blink of an eye. I'm busy enough that I'm not thinking about it constantly, maybe that will help.

16. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

you will die for this take 10, believe me!

17. alexpop

Think it was there for a couple of years around 1992. One of my yearly London visits( sabbaticals).

tinnox likes this.
  18. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Good old Schnitz is probably still in White Album Denial and will probably swear to me again that It will never happen :)

19. Norman garriock

Norman garriock Forum Resident

Only three weekends to go...excitement mounts

tinnox, alexpop and crossroads69 like this.
  20. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

unfortunately cannot be done, reviewer copy files are watermarked and traceable back to my friend if it wound up in the wrong hands. Which Is why I never share unless it is a direct CD rip. And this is not

21. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Knowing the Beatles, it could still all go pear shaped.

ODIrony and tinnox like this.
  22. alexpop

21 days a week. Fly in.

tinnox and Norman garriock like this.
  23. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I thought the remark you were responding to was tongue-in-cheek, but I guess you can't assume that.

thrivingonariff and tinnox like this.
  24. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

Any thoughts on the Long, Long, Long outtake or Not Guilty?

tinnox, Beatle Ed and Sean Roper like this.
  25. I want to get my hands on it so bad I can taste it. It's more like 40 years and 23 days for me.