50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. IronWaffle

IronWaffle It’s all over now, baby blue

Hear me out. I have decided I will not like these remixes. I will continue not liking them until the tenth anniversary of the fiftieth anniversary when they release Giles Martin’s rejected first attempt, at which point I will decide to like this remix (with a few exceptions) and dislike most of that one. I will thusly use DR databases and spectral analyses to cobble my ultimate WA from 1987, 2009, 2018, 2028, lossy RockBand stems and a Russian cassette I got by trading a pair of Levi’s in Moscow back in 1984.

In the meantime, I will do my own low tech remix by listening on headphones with the left can on my right ear and the right can on my left ear whilst I imagine “Baby Martin” crying himself to sleep every time I shed my own tear listenimg to the lads harmonizing on “Good Night.”

As to reality, I’m glad for the work he’s put in. Perfection is folly and subjective. As a Beatles fan (not to mention a Lennon and Dylan fan) I can’t imagine not being thrilled to the gills with the motherlode that is October and November 2018. I understand when reading others’ disappointment but I do hope that even if they don’t post about it here that they find a measure of pleasure in these releases, no matter that we all will have our own Blue Meanie lists of “woulda coulda shoulda.”

Okay, @tinnox, I’m ready for my like now! Speaking of which, we need to set up a GoFundMe to help pay for the surgery your like-clicking finger is gonna need when this is all over!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  2. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

I’ve listened to the iTunes download 3-4 times today. RE Clapton’s guitar — I agree that it seems to “recover” as the song goes along. Were they just trying to build toward more *drama as it becomes more upfront throughout the song?

I appreciate this new mix, but at the moment still leaning toward the original mix. Probably familiarity more than anything. The original mix of the White Album has hurdy gurdy quality throughout that I’m not sure I can move beyond. But glad to have the alternative for sure.

Fred1970, The Band and tinnox like this.
  3. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

That sounds like something that John would be much more likely to do!

bobcat and tinnox like this.
  4. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

This ^^^. I mean of course. Plenty of the remixes we've heard have repositioned, centered drums. There's a reason it wasn't done here, and it's not to make people angry. The back-seat remixers on this board who post with 100% certainty that they know better are...

As I said in a previous post, until you are sitting there with the multis doing it yourself, you just don't know what's going to work.

The Band, zobalob, tinnox and 5 others like this.
  5. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Does the box come out early in Germany?

:winkgrin:

tinnox, andrewskyDE and Jimmy Cooper like this.
  6. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

During my first ten years of Beatle fandom, While My Guitar was probably my favorite Beatles track. Over the ensuing thirty-five years, it increasingly lost its luster for me, to the point where I prefer Take 1 to the album version.
    I find the remix very musical, and am enjoying the track as much as I did all those years ago.

7. Shaddam IV

This is not happening :)

tinnox and YpsiGypsy like this.
  8. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Centered drums works just beautifully for WMGGW.

I sent you the proof. You're welcome.

9. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

If the Gorts would let us post 30 seconds samples of Rock Band remixes of WMGGW with centered drums this would be an entirely different discussion.

We actually ARE allowed according to forum rules to post 30 second or less clips of things but the GORTS now delete some of those posts when certain people bitch about them.

People don't like being censored when they have done nothing wrong and when they are trying to present empirical evidence relevant to a discussion and take that discussion out of ridiculous bickering.

Steve Hoffman???? May we be allowed post 30 second or less samples here?

10. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

For the record I personally don't think it's a big deal the new mix of WMGGW basically replicates the old mix.

I just never expected it considering how "Back in the USSR" was mixed which I liked (for a modern remix).

I look forward to opened up mixes of "Ob La Di, Ob La Da", "Birthday" and "Don't Pass Me By".

Now if "Ob La Di, Ob La Da", "Birthday" are still basically mono tracks with vocals ADT'd across the stereo people will be pissed I will wager.

tinnox and Lewisboogie like this.
  11. Shaddam IV

It would seem subtlety is not desired this year. It was all the rage last year as the demand for it fueled the outrage over Pepper; but bold moves are de rigueur in 2018, fueling the offense over WMGGW :)

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Folks balk at the WA50th CD box price, but McCartneys twofer big box vinyl + CDs ..trinkets limited RRS/Wild Life is over 300 dollars.

Sean Murdock, tinnox and RonBaker like this.
  13. God help us if it’s as bloated as that Pepper

tinnox and graystoke like this.
  14. PrancyTheWonderBug

PrancyTheWonderBug Forum Resident

Possible the Harrison estate found the initial remix of the song (the one that was rejected) too big a departure from the original. Pure speculation, however.

The original does sound pretty "modern", more so than most Beatles songs. I never had any complaints about it.

tinnox likes this.
  15. JerryJ

JerryJ Forum Resident

Gotta disagree - Listen to both versions in headphones, the tom hits move to the center in the new mix.

16. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

Way too much for me. I can live with what I have. Honestly, I have only looked at the box sets once since I got them. "Ram" was great, but I haven't even played the extra music from "McCartney II" and "Wild Life" is one of the worst albums ever recorded...I don't know how it could be improved other than erasing it.

gja586, AFOS, Mister Charlie and 4 others like this.
  17. Shaddam IV

Listen to the left channel only and tell me if you hear a tom :)

18. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Now we're talking about tom and Jerry. This thread has everything!

19. JerryJ

JerryJ Forum Resident

I tells ya! If you listen to the 2 versions with headphones from 2.05 to 2.35 (for example) those tom hits on the remix do not stay in the same area as the snare, hi hat and bass drum do - and that's all in the right channel - nothing in the left channel. There's movement there that the original does not have.

20. Shaddam IV

Until you isolate and listen to only the left channel and tell me you hear the tom, I've got nothing more to say! :)

The drums, including the tom's, are strictly in the right channel. Nothing moves.

There is no center channel in stereo. For something to move from right to center or left, it must be audible in the left channel.

21. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Even Ringo is yawning right now...

tinnox likes this.
  22. hidlive

hidlive made you look

[Hello! I've been lurking among the hoffman forums for a year now and i've finally decided to make an account.]

Personally, i think that the WMGGW remix can't be done better. I don't think there are any pre-bounce tapes, if a mix as recent as 2011 is barely different.

Some advice for people skeptical of the entire album based on these two tracks alone, that's only 6% of the album! Are you going to hate a hamburger after eating a single bite of lettuce?

tinnox and marmalade166 like this.
  23. stollar

stollar Forum Resident

I'm yawning since my name is actually Tom :).

tinnox and Ringo Hendrix like this.
  24. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

Oh man you're right. Damn, how can I stay one more week without this music? :confused:

25. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Did the Beatles do Esher type demos for other albums as well? Like Abbey Road for instance? Are there any more acoustic numbers coming for the Abbey Road box set?

tinnox, Ringo Hendrix and alexpop like this.