50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Ern

Ern Senior Member

2. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

How about single threads for each song once it's actually released to the masses? Going to be mind blowing trying to speak on this or that without some formality. Maybe a thread on each disc?

tinnox likes this.
  3. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Thing is, maybe those backwards guitar parts just aren't that good. It sure sounds interesting and it seems that George put a considerable amount of time on it, but it still may have been lacking. Funny enough, Kevin Howlett had the task of listening to each and every session take and Giles Martin mentioned that he and Kevin, at times, argued over the merits of certain outtakes. So, we don't really know why certain tracks didn't make the grade. Ron

4. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    tinnox and autumn daze like this.
  5. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

"Still the same as he was before he was..."

6. Ern

Ern Senior Member

There was a site someone posted, around the time of the Sgt. Pepper release, but I can't find it anymore!
    Someone has to find that broadcast! So many songs from the box set on it! :drool:

Onder, autumn daze and tinnox like this.
  7. Max Wilbury

Max Wilbury Berlin Beetle

Yes, I heard the same. Giles won't be involved for Let It Be due in the Spring 2020.
    Ethan Jones is.

Sorry.
    :shh:

John Bliss, ODIrony and tinnox like this.
  8. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

And surely in such a cutthroat business you don't get very far if you are not good at what you do, no matter who or how you got your chance.

A respected name can be a double edge sword too. Ask Julian Lennon.

John Bliss, The Band, nasa09 and 4 others like this.
  9. MAMTP2018

MAMTP2018 Forum Resident

What has always bothered me about Beatles recordings is how they sound uneven in the ears and one sided. I really was and am hoping that this was corrected for the white album. The Beatles 1+ sound fantastic and all the recordings should be balanced out like this. Not sure why they wouldn't do this for the White album. I deleted the original 1 album as well as the original SGNT Pepper as the new versions are far superior to my ears.

nasa09, ODIrony, JohnKale and 4 others like this.
  10. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Funny thing, I was listening to the WA CD yesterday and when Dear Prudence came on I noticed something strange, like it was a different mix or elements were missing. Took a minute to realize that my jack wasn't fully plugged and and I was only listening to one channel. A total mindfeck, thought I was somehow listening to a new mix I had missed in the past!

voles, Yovra, JohnKale and 6 others like this.
  11. Ricardo Cosinaro

Ricardo Cosinaro Forum Resident

My sealed copy from 1968 does NOT have stickers on it. Just the embossed The Beatles and the printed serial number on the front, Stereo in small letters on the back.

I also have mono and stereo first pressings from the UK (numbers in the 2000 and 6000 range, respectively) and neither has a sticker on the cover.

12. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Or they never heard it. At the time they were auditioning takes the tapes for this version was missing/mis filed. Maybe they never did find them.

tinnox, Isaac Azimuth and Gila like this.
  13. Isaac Azimuth

Isaac Azimuth Forum Resident

So very true, Ron. Good ideas don't necessarily make for good finished masters. And since we're not privy to the choices available to this team, we just can't know. In principle, I think I'd be all about putting out even some "lacking" recordings, if they were interesting enough as failed experiments, and stood up over repeated listenings. But I'm not at the wheel here.
    I do think the team had free rein regarding the quantity they could include, and yet, to their ears, 3 discs of session materials were sufficient. As Giles himself reported saying to UMG when asked to dive deep into this album : "How many CD's are you talking about?" I don't think he was restricted; if one more CD were essential, it would be in there.

We just have to trust we'll get the cream of the crop, which is hard to do when you know how vast the archive is. 30 takes of WMGGW? Great. But how many are even complete, or are more than woodshedding on specific sections?
    For all the high take numbers, there really might NOT be as much quality material as the numbers imply.
    But I have an intuition that this set will astonish. So much to choose from (with the freedom to release it) and they pick THESE takes? This bodes well. Jeff

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  14. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I started a thread regarding the 2067 edition of Sgt Pepper and it was shut down after one reply. :D
    Given the length of this thread maybe the gorts thought I was serious.

John Bliss and tinnox like this.
  15. Ern

Ern Senior Member

YESSS! Listening now
    Thanks, you can download the broadcast!

16. WildHoneyPie

WildHoneyPie Here's a autobiographical song for ya

Holy crap .... Sour Milk Sea sounds amazing and I’ve noticed so many little new things :goodie:

17. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

With the money Apple are going to make from this, it's a pity they didn't finance a new documentary and place it on the Blu-Ray.

tinnox likes this.
  18. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Perhaps because I began working in retail music in 1971, I had to adapt to configuring and displaying various sizing changes over the years.
    That doesn't mean I wasn't often frustrated by a new size on more than one occasion. But, more than being frustrated, I had to roll with it.
    LPs were easy, due to the size of the record itself. When CDs came along, again it was relatively easy, due to the size of the disc. Here in the states, the only wrinkle was maybe the long box.
    But, for us at retail that was still pretty easy and the long boxes aided in being able to try this new format (which may or may not take off) without having to reconfigure record bins. Also
    CDs were tiny, they easily fit into a pocket, so having a bigger thing helped deter theft. Of course, blind spots and razor blades made the life of the thief really easy.
    Fast forward to CD box sets.
    Overall they were problematic from the start. In the beginning it seemed to make perfect sense for them to be basically LP sized. They were archival in nature, they contained a lot of music, so a nice easily readable large sized booklet was the way to go. But, by that time we had reconfigured everything. So, for many stores box sets went behind the counter. As time went on, the sizing of box sets changed to all different sizes. There was/is no industry standard, there are at least a half dozen configurations for box sets right now.
    Finally...back to the Beatles.
    Even within Apple, there is no uniting sizing scheme. The Mono remaster box and Stereo box are completely different sizes, not only that the Stereo box doesn't even conform to any other box sets, Beatles or otherwise.
    I don't think there are any Beatle sets that are the same as any other Beatle sets. Even down to DVD sets, which should be easy, the deluxe HELP! box is different from the deluxe Magical Mystery Tour box, which is different from the 1+ set, which is different from the deluxe Yellow Sub.
    It's all a complete mish mash of sizing.
    Some make sense, the Christmas Singles Set are in a singles sized box. Okay, I get that. I get Sgt. Pepper, perhaps the most iconic LP cover of all time deserves every square inch to be preserved and recognized. I'm going to guess the lenticular was decided upon early and being a slip case the cover picture was an even larger image than the LP cover. It also allowed them to use an EMI tape box to house everything. All great ideas and a great package!
    I'd love to see a record of the discussions that went on and go on as these sets are put together. Ideas that came and went...I think it would be absolutely fascinating.
    When they were figuring out the White 50 packaging, I'd guess they looked at Pepper and wondered does it need to be like that? Is this the new precedent? Or was Pepper special? Well, I guess we know already they thought it was special, in that they started with Pepper.
    Again, to be a fly on the wall.
    My guess...Pepper lent itself well to an elaborate package. Very over the top, very colorful, visually ambitious.
    The White Album is very different, clearly by design and in every respect.
    If any other band had released a similar album to the White Album, it may well have been regarded as a pointedly anti-Sgt Pepper album, rejecting the bombast of that record. But, since it was the Beatles themselves doing it, it was basically showing that they'd moved on and it's just the music this time.
    So, I'm not sure a big 12" box conveys that approach any better, than what we're getting.
    Or it could be as simple as Universal saying, " The Pepper box was a logistical shipping nightmare. Oversized, heavy, each had to have its own also heavy duty shipping box, blah, blah, blah"
    Again, fly on the wall stuff.
    When all this is over and I mean when everything that's going to remixed and deluxe to the max, I'd love to read a Giles penned book on Remixing the Beatles, especially if he was free from non-disclosure agreements.
    Sorry all, a bit meandering. Especially considering my actual main point was I have box sets of various sizes and I don't expect uniformity at this late date.
    If this configuration of the White Album is what the rest of remixes will follow, I'm fine with that. I'm also fine with Pepper 50 being unique.

WOW...that was long. I just added this after posting, having looked at it.
    If I ever post something that long again, I'll try and have something to say!

19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Be thankful the MONO mix is on the Blu Ray.

John Bliss and tinnox like this.
  20. alexpop

Anybody got any actual 1968 Melody Maker,RS etc reviews of The White Album?

Beatle Ed and tinnox like this.
  21. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

Oooh, yes. I was tearing up and screaming of joy for how clear the droney middle eight of Getting Better, or the shining beauty of Within You Without You. The clarity of Good Morning Good Morning and that admittedly somewhat gimmicky but terribly awesome drum effect Giles put in that some here really disliked ... I still looove that. It's this playfulness that lifts that mix even beyond it's already acomplished next level.
    The last time I had such an intense experience was yes, with SMiLE and over the years ... I cannot count how often I have cried for the breathtaking beauty of Pet Sounds. Then I had the pleasure of seeing it perfored live in 2002. Overwhelming. Especially when he literally told us the next song was from SMiLE and did Heroes And Villains, then Surf's Up. Wow. Then I knew that we had a real chance to get SMiLE at some time. To actually hear him talking of SMiLE and being obviously proud of it ... Later I cried so much while watching the live DVD.
    Isn't that beautiful, how music and art can stir up such deep emotions and help to get them back in order, to finally find a way to emotional closure and new direction?
    I guess The Beatles will not be as emotional for me, never has been, but I am hoping for a few extatic discoveries nonetheless.

22. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I'm in for Wild Honey Pie and Why Don't We Do It In The Road.

23. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

And in High-Res that is.

24. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Who's his father?

Larry Geller, AFOS and tinnox like this.
  25. alexpop

Not Tom. :D