50th Anniversary Editions 50 years From Now

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiomixer, Apr 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

We are celebrating several 50th Anniversary's of some very famous albums this year.

Physical media may not even exist 50 years into the future, but what current music would be worthy of a "deluxe edition", in any form, 50 years from now?

This should be an interesting discussion...

2. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Pretty hard to say what will be looked back on as classics in 50 years. They also seem to pump out "deluxe anniversary editions" every 10 years, so I don't think there will even be much in the vaults for modern day classic albums come 50 years!

3. audiomixer

Honestly, I don't think people will even care by then...

Benno123, wiseblood and junk like this.
  4. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Current music/bands...?
    Radiohead
    (...thinking of others...)

5. GMav

GMav Senior Member

I am going to guess that if any are released again at that time, they will be "100th ANNIVERSARY EDITIONS"

Chad75 and junk like this.
  6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

We just had a thread very similar to this, i.e. will anyone care about today's music in the future ?

7. audiomixer

I agree. I was just trying to put a spin on alternate takes, versions, demos, etc. I doubt whether most of those elements even exist with bands today & if their "fans" even have much interest in it.

Myke likes this.
  8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

My Pre orders placed today, reflect my age :

Jethro Tull / The Beatles / The Stones / Buckingham-McVie / Gov't Mule & Spirit.

audiomixer likes this.
  9. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

All I know is I won't be here for any of them

Chad75, pig bodine, Mal and 1 other person like this.
  10. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

"Ed Sheeran: The Complete iPhone Voice Memos"

11. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Great question to think about! My initial reaction is, no. The digital age just doesn't seem like the 50 year box set environment

12. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Well I don't really see 10th, and rarely 20th anniversary anything these days. I think people will just stick with the classics and it'll be the 75th anniversary of classic albums and eventually 100th anniversary editions etc.

13. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

[​IMG]

I'm Not saying Joanne would be worthy of 50 status but you never know in 50 years how this album might be looked upon.

In 2066 they'll be a Lady Gaga 50th Anniversary Joanne box set?

I won't be around anyway. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    audiomixer likes this.
  14. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

The only music that will be remembered in 100 years will be classical music.

current pop music, despite hitting 50 years, will be lucky to last much longer.

i don't really care for classical, but it has survived this long, with no signs of going anywhere.

later

15. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I'm looking forward to the 50th anniversary editions of Megadeth's entire catalog. Geez, I just can't wait. I hope I'm still alive then. :D

Chad75 likes this.
  16. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

In 50 years time there will be an interest in popular music which is 100-years old. Just as there is an interest today in music which is 100-years old. But it will not be a fanatical interest.

50-year anniversary deluxe bonus special multi-disk editions are primarily marketed to those who bought the music 50 years ago (plus to some new-comers). If you want the bonus set you are probably familiar with the original album and the artist. It's catering for a nostalgia market.

When the music is 100-years old it becomes more of historical interest. There is less mass-appeal, it is more of a niche area. Sure, lots of people will be interested, but there won't be the economies of scale to make it as viable to release huge anniversary editions. It will happen, but on a limited scale. There will be more economic opportunity to release 50th anniversary editions of music that will appeal to the nostalgia of the music community at the time. So, in 50 years time, look forward to the "Justin Bieber - the complete first album sessions" released in whatever format is common then.

17. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

The 50's to 70's music will be the new classical, it's already starting to occur - music that's actually bridging the generations. 100 year boxsets might be remixes of the classics, or perhaps re-imaginings of them. Maybe a holographic stage event that is created right in your own home where the music seems to be played live right in front of you.

I don't see this for today's more disposable music, on the other hand. Perhaps there will be a renaissance of some kind later, but right now I don't see it.

18. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I see them as musical tombstones.

Lady Gaga Fame Monster 50th Box Set will be quite the stocking stuffer. Nuclear armageddon will get here first.

19. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

Kanye will still be tinkering with The Life of Pablo in 2067.

20. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

I would be very surprised if many albums would. We'll just be getting 100th anniversaries and the few that do get 50ths will be held as masterpieces since everything from this decade is such utter rubbish. That being said, Radiohead will certainly be alive for at least a 100th.

21. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

i don't see anything from the 50's onward lasting for 100 years... as you say, technology will move towards something else..

real classical, and religious music based on classical will survive, as churches will still be playing hymns also.

later

22. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

I have a feeling a lot of the albums that will get anniversary editions may be ones you might be paying much attention to right now. Look at all the stuff from the 2000s that have gotten 10-15 year editions that were more critic/cult artists as opposed to your mainstream superstars who might be more disposable. Look at how Spoon's Gimme Fiction and The Postal Service's Give Up got 10 year editions while far more commercially successful albums were ignored on their anniversary, this may be the case for 2017 albums where people are more interested in 10 years in an anniversary edition of a White Reaper album over a Justin Bieber one.

23. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Yes, classical music will survive. In 50 years they will still be listening to Tchaikovsky, Beethoven and Mozart - the "classic" classical music.

But what of 20th century music? Will Schoenberg, Penderecki , Ligeti, Cage, Reich, etc. be as popular? I doubt that they will be any more popular than they are today.

negative1 likes this.
  24. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I don't see hipsters today flocking out to buy Enrico Caruso records... ;)

Seriously, classical music seems to transcend time, but there was more emphasis on the music writing, since that was the only aspect that could be preserved, there was no way to record Mozart, Bach or Beethoven at the time. The Classical age has maintained relevancy by others interpretation of that music (and that music is public domain). Today music is preserved by the original artists intent, we have recordings of it that can be listened to years from now. Does that difference limit contemporary music from being relevant in the future? Will music sound dated, will copyrights and royalty issues stifle old music from being relevant in the future, as it may never go public domain at this rate of ever-changing laws of extending copyrights? Many factors can affect whether a musical composition, or recording stays relevant long after the artists' time. As long as there is a caretaker of those recordings to ensure the original recordings will still be there for future generations will the music still be relevant by the original artist. Whether this be family, friends, record labels, companies, preservation societies, someone has to keep the fire burning for the future.

25. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

I just hope the NY Archives Vol. 2 is out by then.

ARK, Chad75, BeSteVenn and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.