50th Anniversary The Prisoner Blu Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Diorama, Nov 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Are the Network BluRay's region locked?

2. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

I asked Network before purchasing and they said they are Region ABC.

3. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I have the Network Blu-ray set for The Persuaders!

Yes, it is region B locked (and the DVDs with supplemental material are Region 2 and PAL). I knew that going in though and their website reports the same thing, so it was not a surprise. I ripped them so I watch them on my TV.

4. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Sorry, to clarify my above, i was speaking of the 'In My Mind' Blu Ray only. Looks like the Prisoner series Blu Rays are Region B.

longdist01 likes this.
  5. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

6. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Smeg!

Guess I'll stick with my copies of the old yellow A&E DVD's then.

longdist01 likes this.
  7. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I just discovered that THE PRISONER is available to stream in HD on Amazon.

BUT, the old SD version is still there at $1.99 per episode, so don't be fooled in your search.

JAuz likes this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Have the DVD box worth upgrading ?

9. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

The HD quality is excellent for a 50-year-old television show, so it’s definitely worth the upgrade to BD. Whether or not you need all the bells and whistles that come with the recent anniversary edition, only you can say.

10. alexpop

DVD looks great.
    Just wondering if you've compared both, has tbe Blu Ray got more extras?

11. Yes and yes. It blows away the DVD.

longdist01 and Shawn like this.
  12. stepeanut

I own both and, yes, the BD is a significant upgrade, and the extras are more comprehensive.

longdist01, alexpop and Shawn like this.
  13. alexpop

Did you get the cd soundtrack albums that came out around 2002, there was 3?

14. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

My problem with the recent BR set is that while the source material is beautiful film and the colors absolutely pop, they have scrubbed the image of all film grain. I looked at the trailer for the new set, and decided against getting it for that reason. To my eye, it looks weird and it's an insult to the original photography of the show.

Dark Mavis and alexpop like this.
  15. alexpop

Yeah that's what I'd be worried about. I'm holding on for the 4K UHD.

longdist01 likes this.
  16. stepeanut

No. I love the show, but I can’t imagine ever wanting to listen to the music divorced from the visuals.

The only soundtrack CDs I collect are those from Sam Peckinpah films.

17. alexpop

My thoughts when I seen them in a shop 2002. They had nice cover art. No doubt worth a bit of money as I've never seen them again.

stepeanut likes this.
  18. HGN2001

An addendum to my post above about THE PRISONER (HD) being available on Amazon Prime:

Amazon Prime is also carrying the full DANGER MAN series. These are only SD though, and appear to have PAL speed-up.

wayneklein likes this.
  19. alexpop

Strange dude McGoohan, turned down James Bond as he would have had to kiss women. "Hello my name is Pussyy."Bond "be seeing you". :D

20. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Was the older Blu Ray like that? I’ve never owned it but watched several episodes on a friend’s copy and thought it looked beautiful.

21. HGN2001

I have the older Blu-ray set and find it to be an impeccable presentation. It's hard to find anything negative to say about that set from my perspective. If I had to pick on something it would be the attempt at a 5.1 surround sound track that it defaults to and sounds a bit wonky to my ears. But the original mono is there, so it's really no problem, IMHO.

22. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Any Canadians know where decent quality Region-free Players can be found inside the country?

23. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...BTW, there is a real revival of The Prisoner on comics-shop shelves these days. British comics company Titan has put out a new Prisoner mini-series, set in modern times - And they have also put out an ultra-expensive gigantic-paged HC "art book " recently, reproducing all that exists of the two aborted attempts at a licensed adaptation of the original 60s series that Marvel attempted, but did not publish, in the 70s, one penciled and written by Jack Kirby (with Mike Royer inking) and one w/D by Steve Englebert and Gil Kane. I guess this book is meant to reproduce the art at its original size, it's humongous sized, it was a major individual splurge for me.

24. I have the previous set on Blu-ray and it looks fine. Grain intact so, unless it was remastered again for this edition or features different mastering, I don’t see any issues with it and the show has a film like texture.

The Prisoner Blu-ray - Patrick McGoohan

As you know all shows have some grain management applied to allow for consistent look between different footage, sources, etc.

I have it as well. I find that Kirby captures McGoohan better while Kane’s panels look more dynamic to me.

25. McGoohan was devoted to his wife and was a hardcore Catholic. I also sense that he felt uncomfortable doing scenes involving any level of intimacy.

ZippyPippy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.