‘55-63 rock performers, live on CD. Recommendations wanted

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John B Good, Mar 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

I realized after acquiring a few cd's Forum members have recommended from time to time, that I have half-a-dozen or so ‘live' recordings of songs from that era. They usually make a nice change from the standard versions of a performer's material.

The ones I have are :

Dion and the Belmonts (recorded in 1972 I think)

Rick Nelson in LA in (1985)

Sam Cooke at Harlem Square Club, in 1963

Everly Brothers Show (in Las Vegas 1969)

Jerry Lee Lewis at the Star Club in 1964

Cliff Richard and the Shadows in 1963

I once had a Jack Scott Live, but I sold it :(

Any good recommendations of other performances that I don't have. Preferably, but not necessarily, from the era, 1950's to 1963. Thanks!

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

James Brown, Live at the Apollo is a must.

hugh . g. and majorlance like this.
  3. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

A little outside the range, but I love Jan & Dean's Command Performance, released in January, 1965 IIRC. I've always liked the live horn section, and there are some stand-out performances, most notably IMO:

"All I Have to Do Is Dream" -- J&D started out doing two-part harmony, and they pull off a sweet performance on this one, the best on the record, and among the best in their career.

"Louie, Louie" -- great horns, vocals, and hot (if a little hard to hear in the mix) lead guitar break. Don't laugh -- this may be my favorite version of the song.

"Surf City" -- I thought it was pretty lame as a kid, but this live version with the horn section seems really cool to me now, in a kind of swingy, bachelor pad sort of way. Similar to the intrumental version on "Jan & Dean's Pop Symphony" but without the oriental interludes.

----

Another great live set is "The Big Three At the Cavern Club" from 1964 I think. This originally came out on an EP, then in the early 80s it could be found in its entirety on an Edsel comp lp. Big rock sound coming out of this trio...worth seeking out. Mono, and well-recorded for the time, too.

-----

The Ventures were hugely popular in Japan long after they ceased to be relevant in the US (after 1968 or so) and released lots and lots of records, including a one-or-two lp live set each year of the late 60s, through the entire decade of the 70s, and ending with the 1980 set IIRC. I've heard most of them and the best by far, IMO, is "On Stage '73". Very well recorded, IMO (rare for live albums of that era) and great performances. In fact, their opener "The Cruel Sea" (originally by The Dakotas) on that set prompted me to buy a complete new audio system. Unfortunately, Mel Taylor isn't on this set, but the drumming is still very cool, and again very well recorded...

4. John B Good

Thanks guys!

The Jan & Dean looks very good, but hard to find? The Ventures disk also seems to be long OOP. :(

The James Brown wasn't quite what I was thinking of, but it looks great, and will be on my next order.

I guess 'live' recordings were not quite the thing in that 57-63 era, compared with the post 1965 music.

I was especially hoping there might be a Little Richard concert evoking those days.

5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I would recommend the Elvis: A Golden Celebration box. It's kind of a mishmash of stuff, but 2.5 of the 4 CDs collect up all his live TV appearances from 1955-56 (Dorsey Brothers, Milton Berle, Ed Sullivan). It doesn't have the feel of a live show of course, since each TV appearance features just 3 or 4 songs. And of course there's a lot of repetition of songs, since he would of course do his current singles. But it's still very interesting to hear the live versions, especially the evolution of his version of Hound Dog... most of the live versions on here were done before he did his studio version, and you can hear it evolving and changing each time he does it.

6. billdcat

billdcat Well-Known Member

You could also check old time radio sources for some of the
    Alan Freed's Camel Rock And Roll Dance Party recordings.

This was a CBS radio series circa 1956 that featured
    the top rockers and do-wop vocal groups of the day
    recorded live on stage.

There are (or were) several releases using the Armed Forces Radio Service
    version of these program released on record, tape and Cd's.

7. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I recommend Nat "King" Cole live "At the Sands". This is good stuff from that era. :)

8. John B Good

I often wish one of those Alan Freed Cavalcade of Stars extravaganzas at the Apollo had been recorded.

9. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

There is the famous Ritchie Valens recording poorly recorded live at the high school Ritchie went to school at. Despite the fact that it is poorly recorded by just about everybody's standards, it is recommended that one listens to it at least once, after you are done hearing this concert, then go back to Steve's greatest hits collection.

10. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

There is a great Ray Charles album, "Live In Concert", from 1964. Unfortunately, this definitive performance is not on CD, but your thread asks for recordings up to '63, so it shouldn't be a concern. ;)

11. JulesDassin

JulesDassin Forum Resident In Memoriam

Bo-Diddley-Beach-Party-451150.jpg Bo Diddley's Beach Party from '63

hugh . g., alchemy and jupiter8 like this.
  12. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

Del Shannon - Live In England

hugh . g. likes this.
  13. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

So THAT'S the origin of those bootlegs! Ah ha!

There's some impossibly rare performances of there, ie: Johnny Burnette & the Rock'n'Roll Trio.

14. Eli

Eli Party Coordinator

There's Elvis' live stuff, obviously. Some others I can think of off the top of my head:

Bill Haley – Twistin' Knights at the Round Table
    Dale Hawkins – Let's All Twist
    Piano Red – A live album is included on the Bear Family box; don't know if it's been reissued separately
    Bobby Darin – A lot of live stuff out there, but mostly after his rock phase
    The Collins Kids – Rockin' on TV
    Janis Martin – Here I Am

15. John B Good

I have since acquired a few of the ones mentioned, notably Little Richard Greatest Hits, and very recently, by serendippity, Johnny Otis Review at Monterey, which is fantastic (it is one of the treats in the 25 CD blues box recommended by Baron Von Talbot here a few weeks ago)

16. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Do you stretch out to the blues? Because Muddy Waters' Live at Newport is essential, and Sonny Boy Williamson recorded two albums worth of material with The Yardbirds and a single record's worth with the Animals.

17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I've never seen that one. I used to have a live Bill Haley recorded late in his career on Everest, but it was pretty dire, except for a raucus "When The Saints Rock and Roll".

18. Eli

Eli Party Coordinator

Soundies reissued it on CD years ago. It's partly instrumental. "Whistlin' and Walkin' Twist" is a pretty cool instro.

19. John B Good

This thread was mostly just to hear of early rock performers recorded live. There obviously isn't much of it.

I did come across a Timi Yuro live cd, which was dynamite but marred (for me ) by alternative version bonus tracks. Destroyed the 'flow'.

There are also Fats Domino live cds, and one Brenda Lee live , which I added to my collection. The latter may be a bootleg.

20. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Johnny Cash at the Louisiana Hayride: Live performances from 1955 to 1962. Lots of great stuff on there.

21. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

If you pick up the 3-disc version of the Roy Orbison Monument Singles Collection, you get a DVD of Orbison's 1965 appearance on the Dutch show Combo.
    Setlist:

1. Only the Lonely​
    2. Running Scared​
    3. Crying​
    4. What'd I Say​
    5. Dream Baby​
    6. Mean Woman Blues​
    7. It's Over​
    8. Oh, Pretty Woman​
    9. Goodnight​

Yes, not a CD itself... but good stuff.

22. npc145

npc145 music junkie

Etta James - Rocks The House 1963
    etta_james-rocks_the_house.jpg

hugh . g. and PHILLYQ like this.
  23. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

This is a great trashy, noisy, sloppy release--in the best possible way! Absolutely love it!

24. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

Two that I like are:
    "Live at Myrtle Beach" by Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs, from 1965, and
    An album by The Sentinels, recorded live in Las Vegas, from 1965 or 1966.
    I know that the Zodiacs' album is available on cd, but I don't believe that the LP by The Sentinels ever made it past vinyl

hugh . g. likes this.
  25. waxtomcat

waxtomcat Forum Resident

If you like Jerry Lee Lewis Live at The Star Club, I'd also recommend The Greatest Live Shows on Earth. It's available on Bear Family, and has two performances that are almost as hot as The Star Club gig.

hugh . g. and jgreen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.