"'58 Miles", Miles Davis et al.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack White, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Idler

Idler Active Member

First four tracks are some of my absolute favourite 50's Miles - but this cd is badly in need of updated mastering. I have considered buying the Miles/Coltrane box just to get these track in better sound. The other three tracks are live recordings which are OK but I usually only listen to the first four.

3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

My favorite '58 Miles on CD is the Japanese CBS/Sony early mastering. It sounds better than the US version.

4. Jay F

Jay F New Member

"Fran Dance" is one of my favorite Miles Davis tunes. One of the very few jazz pieces I can actually identify when I hear it. I got it on the Miles & Coltrane box set. "Fran Dance" was otherwise unavailable in that remastered version. Whether that's still true, I don't know. Miles Davis' box sets are among the world's really good remasters IMO.

5. bodine

bodine Senior Member

This was actually a dully-mastered bastardization of a CBS/Sony Japan CD that came out in the late 1980s, also titled "1958." That disc collected most of the performances later compiled on the US disc. I no longer have the old import but I also bought the later US version and I found that the sound of the Japanese version was much crisper, but like so many early Miles masterings, was marred by shrillness and distortion in upper treble reaches...

6. E-Rock

E-Rock I Got a Rock

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I have the Japanese first pressing from 1986, CBS/Sony 32DP-521, and to my ears it sounds better than all others I've heard, in particular the remasters from the mid- to late 1990s.

8. muntai

muntai New Member

The specific cd edition in the amazon link above (" '58 Miles Featuring Stella by Starlight " Columbia CK 47835) is a must have if only for one thing.
    It's the only official cd release containing the full unedited "Stella By Starlight - take 7" which is imo superior to the take3/take7 edit released on all "1958 Miles" versions. The take 3 part is right from the start up until Coltrane's solo. You can also notice that the transition between take 3 and take 7 has an added beat :)
    That full take 7 is not included in the Legacy "Miles-Coltrane" box either.

9. whaaat

whaaat LT Fanatic

Interesting, thanks for the info, muntai!

10. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

I have the same CD or at least, it has the same catalogue number, in a jewel case. It has the "Master Sound" design on it but nowhere does it indicate that it is 20-bit SBM remastered. It sounds good to my ears. Just wondering if it is the same as the mini-LP CD you speak of?

11. jdw

jdw Senior Member

Thanks Muntai,

It might be only the 1991 American CD (also LP) that has this rarity. The 1991 cd has both an "AAD" and a "ADD" code in the booklet, so it seems to be at least partly remixed. The appearance of an unaltered take of "Stella..." is possibly evidence of a modern remix too. At least some of the Japanese versions mentioned in this thread were released before 1991, so I don't know what version of "Stella..." they contain...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.