6 Songs People Apparently Think Are by the Wrong Artist

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Feb 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Jamiroquai is the group and Jay Kay is the singer. I learned this today during my search. :D

2. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

right all along .. whew (even though I would not be able to identify a Jamiroquai song if I heard one..I know,.. I await Utubeducatin..)

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  3. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

Or you got a legit track by an unknown artist (who'd probably - at least that's what people speculated - deliberately mislabeled and shared it themselves to trick people into listening to them), either that or newly created outfakes. Syd Barrett didn't record with Keith Moon & Sun Ra, or record songs about cinnamon toast or Stanley the simpleton. Never did find who did the song posing as Jeff Buckley and Chris Cornell (or manage to refind it after my harddrive died & the p2p software shutdown).

4. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Unfortunately, newer generations thought that "Without You" is a Mariah Carey original and "All By Myself" was originally recorded by Celine Dion.

5. RJ3000

RJ3000 Forum Resident

For years, I thought Billy Squier's "Lonely is the Night" was Zeppelin.

6. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

Unlike older generations (or people my age or younger who only pay/paid attention to older songs) who thought/think it's a Nilsson original ;-)

(Me, despite being one of that newer generation when Mariah's version came out, I paid attention to a tv pop quiz playing clips of all three version & that mini feature on watchdog , so knew it was by Badfinger).

7. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

He had his own:

It's a good song if you can stand the 80's production. I think this was mainly a Mike Campbell song that he probably could've given to Don Henley and had a hit with.

8. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Good so I can still safely think that "Come And Get It" is by The Beatles....

9. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Living Next Door to Alice - Dr. Hook & the Medicine Show

10. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

"Oh Sheila" was a No. 1 hit not for Prince but Ready For The World (and is not about Sheila E).

Slokes likes this.
  11. AudiophilePhil

One bad thing about the lack of originality on Mariah Carey's cover version is that it just copied the arrangement of the Nilsson cover version.
    At least the Nilsson version sounded fresh when it originally came out in 1972 showcasing his creativity by not copying the original Badfinger arrangement.
    Nilsson did not just cover the song. He owned it.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  12. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

Even Neil Young's father got fooled by that one.

13. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Celine kicked the hell out of All By Myself!

14. AudiophilePhil

I still prefer the melodramatic Eric Carmen original with his rendition of Rachmaninoff's piano second movement (Adagio sostenuto) of Sergei Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Opus 18 which enhanced further the melodramatic effect of the song in a more positive way.
    His self-titled debut album has the unedited version of "All By Myself".

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  15. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I love(d) Mariah, but her remake of "I Still Believe" is really just a karaoke version of Brenda K. Starr's 1988 hit, with a slightly more schmaltzy arrangement (much like her "Without You").

16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Everyone believed Stuck in the Middle With You was by Bob Dylan.

Slokes likes this.
  17. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

That was done on purpose. Their previous record was a cover of In the Summertime.

18. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

For a while, I thought "Never Knew Love Like This Before" (Stephanie Mills) was Diana Ross's song. Apparently, others often made the same mistake about the earlier Polly Brown hit "Up In A Puff Of Smoke."

19. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I like Carmen's version best too. I wasn't complimenting Celine when I said she kicked the hell out of the song!

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  20. AudiophilePhil

Some people thought Buddy Holly resurrected from the dead when they heard "I Fought The Law" by Bobby Fuller's Four.

"I Fought The Law" was composed by Sonny Curtis, guitarist of the Buddy Holly band the Crickets.

21. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

It May Be Winter Outside (But In My Heart It's Spring) by Felice Taylor sounds exactly like Diana Ross & the Supremes.

geo50000 likes this.
  22. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

Easy to mistake it for Rod. It sounds exactly like Rod when he recorded his 1978 hit "It's A Heartache."

23. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

"The Great Commandment" wasn't Depeche Mode.

Razer likes this.
  24. AudiophilePhil

Some people mistaken the Toys "A Lover's Concerto" as another Supremes hit single.
    Actually, the Supremes recorded their own cover version of that song.

25. AudiophilePhil

Another good example.
    I myself thought that "One Last Memory" by the obscured soul group Impact was a song by the similar sounding but more popular soul group, The Stylistics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.