6 Songs People Apparently Think Are by the Wrong Artist

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Feb 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I don't know if it's just me but I've always thought George Michael sounds a bit like Alison Moyet in certain parts (like the first verse, for example) of "A Different Corner". If you were an Alison Moyet fan, for the first minute or so of the song you could easily think it was her.

2. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I can understand the mistake for "I'm a Bitch" and "Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress", but the rest are ridiculous.

3. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I did until 20 seconds ago.

4. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

Wow, this is a new one for me. I never heard any similarity in their voices on that song. I also never heard about "Long Cool Woman" being a CCR song, although I can hear the similarities there.

5. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

Not me. I never knew about the comparison until reading this forum. Someone else mentioned Dire Straits' "Sultans Of Swing". Now that is a song I thought was by Dylan.

6. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I think I know what you're referring to - "Automatic"? (The one with the female backing singers.)

7. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

And yet "Express Yourself" sounds similar to The Staple Singers' "Respect Yourself".

8. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I never thought either Sultans or Stuck in the Middle was a Dylan song. But only the latter made me think of him.

9. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

"Automatic" by The Pointer Sisters? No, that song brought to mind Prince, not Stevie.

bleachershane likes this.
  10. W.B.

As well as "It's A Heartache" some years before that.

11. W.B.

Ever heard "Happy" lately? If one didn't know better, one would think that was a Mayfield track recovered from the vaults and "updated" . . .

Zeki likes this.
  12. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

Never heard this one before, but I can understand why since they both have raspy voices. Although to me, it's obvious right from the start that "It's A Heartache" and "Total Eclipse Of The Heart" is sung by a female.

Slokes likes this.
  13. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I used to think "Bridge of Sighs" was by Free, not Robin Trower (James Dewar vocal)

14. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

I don't know if I'm alone in this, but when The Wallflowers' "One Headlight" first came out, I would've sworn it was a Bruce Springsteen song.

15. W.B.

Though at least one book claimed the lyrics had far more in common with what Crosby, Stills & Nash usually put out.

16. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

When I was younger I always thought this was Stevie Wonder...

17. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

It was pretty evident to me during the 'do-do-do' chorus that Jamiroquai had been studying Stevie Wonder melodies!

Monosterio likes this.
  18. W.B.

Certainly couldn't be confused with Charles Wright & The Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band's "Express Yourself" - which, I'm sure, some out there thought was another James Brown tune.

19. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

It was from the 60's, although literally at the tail end, going to #1 in November 1969.

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I love Madonna, but I'd be hard-pressed to think of anything she's done over the last decade or so that's as good as "Bad Romance"...

21. Oatsdad

Proves my point! :D

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  22. Oatsdad

Good pick! That's in the same vein as Regina's "Baby Love": a song that clearly tried really hard to imitate another artist.

"Sheila" and "Baby Love" aren't just influenced by Prince/Madonna, respectively - they're overt, blatant rip-offs...

23. Oatsdad

No, definitely not alone - I don't think this VMA appearance was just a random decision! :)

24. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

Thanks, never saw that before or knew they played together. All these years I thought I was crazy because I thought they sounded alike!

25. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

Many moons ago, when I first heard the Billy Joel song You May Be Right I thought it was Mick & the Stones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.