6 Songs People Apparently Think Are by the Wrong Artist

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Feb 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Dean Martin's 60's arranger Ernie Freeman made a Dean Martin record with no Dean Martin...

2. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

I know that I'm not the only one who initially thought that Billy Swan's "I Can Help" was Ringo Starr. Ringo actually covered it thirteen years later, but it remains unreleased.

Right, you are.

Long ago, I read that "Don't Pull Your Love" was originally offered to Three Dog night, who declined it - same label. I can see some mistaking it for them.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Just because Bruce and Jakob DID play together doesn't mean you're not crazy! ;)

4. Surprised "Breakdown" by Alan Parsons Project did not make the list as it sounds a bit like Lindsey Buckingham era Fleetwood Mac (and the singing is a ringer for The "FM" album vocals)

5. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Before knew who it was, I always thought Cold As Ice by Foreigner was a Bad Company song.

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I assume he is no longer your friend.

;)

danner likes this.
  7. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Am I the only one to mistakenly assume, when "Walking In Memphis" first came out, that it was another Springsteen track?

8. MKHopkins

MKHopkins Break out the Hats and Hooters

Until I heard differently this morning I thought "What you won't do for Love" was by Boz Scaggs.

Sorry, Bobby Caldwell.

Side note: after googling Bobby Caldwell, he did write Scaggs' "Heart of Mine." So I'm not completely out of left field I guess.

9. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Back in my days working in a record store, whenever we'd play some reggae, no matter what it was, inevitably someone would ask, "Is that Bob Marley?"

10. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

A coworker of mine absolutely refused to believe that "Hair of the Dog" and "Balls to the Wall" were not AC/DC songs. It got to the point where I was laughing about it and he was turning red with anger. lol.

11. Razer

Razer Forum Resident

"Little Wonder" by David Bowie is not The Prodigy!

12. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

I never noticed that one before, but IMO Cohn sounds more like Springsteen on his song, "True Companion". Also, Cohn has a song called "Walk Through The World" where he sounds almost exactly like Bruce Hornsby.

13. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

When that HP ad came out years ago using the Knks Picture Book, I thought it had to be early solo McCartney and looked for a few weeks before discovering it. The embarrassing part was I was a big Beatles fan and couldn't tell that wasn't macca

14. Razer

Razer Forum Resident

Commonly mistaken as Rod Stewart

15. Mikay

Mikay Active Member

Funny...my dad is a big Polka fan. This is like the number one requested polka of all time. They pause in the chorus and then the crowd goes, "Alice? Who the hell is Alice?" Kind of stupid, if you ask me...

16. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

Can't believe no one's mentioned Donovan's Catch the Wind being widely mistaken for Dylan

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

When I browsed the bargain CD rack at PREX last year, some 20-something told his girlfriend that the leader of Wallflowers was Bob Marley's son. Bob Marley is connected to every piece of music ever made! :D

action pact and Zeki like this.
  18. broccolid

broccolid Trickologist

For a long time, I thought Ween's "Voodoo Lady" was by the Spin Doctors. Always confused me why a college radio station would play the Spin Doctors well after the band had faded from the charts.

19. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Many years ago, I once knew a guy who was a huge Beatles and Paul McCartney fan.

He was looking for this "hard to find" McCartney tune. Of course, this was the days before the Intar-webs.

He hummed me a few bars and sang a line & I recognized it right away. I wasn't surprised he thought it was a Macca tune.

It took me about five minutes to convince him that the song in question was sung by Jeff Lynne and it was ELO's "Telephone Line."

Totally blew his mind.

20. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

This song is sometimes mistaken as a Sonny & Cher song, when in reality it's Cher solo, just switching back and forth between singing high and low.

21. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

It is unsettling... I think the "Don't worry about a thing, 'cause every little thing gonna be alright" lyric from "Three Little Birds" may have something to do with it. That lyric is one of the first things casual fans around the world associate with Bob, and may have caused a bit of the confusion. Also the way those types of lighter "feelgood" and love songs have been promoted retrospectively (mainly via Legend), and the way the more spiritual, political and revolutionary songs (that he himself promoted in performance) have been downplayed, has made Bob out to be this laid back, happy-go-lucky, peace, love & understandig guy that people actually think might be responsible for something like "Don't Worry, Be Happy"...

Lost In The Flood likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.