65" 3D flat screen TV's getting cheaper at Costco*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Larry Mc, Apr 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude Thread Starter

I have my room too. It's for listening and watching TV/Movies, 3D or not.
    Thanks for your input Derek.:cheers:

Derek Gee likes this.
  2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2014
  3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Most Imax now is LieMax. Not true Imax. The BigD is a better way to name such movies.

nbakid2000 and Vidiot like this.
  4. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

But once the few 70mm outposts are gone, the lie will become the truth.

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Unfortunately. So, the Imax name needs to be replaced by other terms which don't lie. BigD, MegaScreen, etc will get my business at the cinema because they are being honest with their terminology.

6. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Well, just the term Imax doesn't really convey much information. It means as much as Nike. I think the loss of film is kinda sad in an old romantic fogey kind of way, but it's definitely happening. Perhaps, for our benefit, Imax should come up with separate terms to define whether they are showing in a multiplex or on a dedicated huge screen.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ah, I'm talking about technology that isn't completely extinct and gone like Plasma. :sigh:

I just think that 3D for most living rooms is completely impractical, and this is the #1 reason why it was such a huge failure.

Very good point. I continue making notes on all the pseudo-Imax systems out there, and it's astonishing how many "large format theaters" there are out there, along with a lot of misinformation. What I will say is that, at least for the big theaters in LA, the experience is better than the run-of-the-mill crap you see at the local multiplex. A screen 30' high and 75' across really is impressive, at least when they tweak the picture and add great sound to the presentation. To me, 3D is just an excuse to charge more money for the ticket... but I'll gladly pay it when the film is tailor-made for 3D.

BTW: now there's 4D, the deal where they add motion-controlled seats to the theater, where you vibrate, bump up and down, and tilt back and forwards. I can just imagine the puking and spilled popcorn this is gonna cause...

8. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

:agree:

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

McLover likes this.
  10. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I qualified it against the $3 million Imax system. Gimme a break, man. :D What I can actually afford is my LG 55" passive 3-D TV. It actually looks pretty good too. I suppose you might not have been following it, but each generation of LCD monitors that have come out have been brighter and brighter 3-D performers. I wouldn't turn my nose up at the Christie if I won the lottery I never play. :)

11. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I enjoy 3-D, so I hope it stays around for a long time. I hope it's at least successful enough that they'll eventually release more 50's and 80's 3-D movies on blu-ray and that I can get a new TV for them should mine die.

Larry Mc likes this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Bear in mind that 99.9% of all movies released on home video were only intended to play back at 30fL. If you're seeing a brighter picture than that, you're not seeing what the director wanted you to see. Brightness beyond that isn't necessary, assuming you're hitting the industry spec (IHF / SMPTE / THX / etc.). It's all the specs outside of brightness that are hard to hit.

You can't win if you don't play! I agree, I'd go for something like this with De Lotto Money:

[​IMG]

Nice for me and 50 of my most intimate friends. Have a Hollywood party with Brian Singer... :sigh:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  13. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

When I'm watching 3D movies, I expect tricks and jumps and any other visual gimmicks they can think to throw at me. That's the entire reason I watch 3D (besides the depth of field, etc.).

Larry Mc likes this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Just don't move and sit in the exact right position, and it can work. Unfortunately, I think 95% of most viewers don't watch TV and video at home this way.

15. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

That's old school 3D that doesn't let you move your head. RealD theaters use passive glasses with circular polarization which lets you tilt your head almost 45 degrees off axis without losing the polarization. My active glasses I use at home allow me to lie down (not quite perfectly horizontal) on my couch and get a usable 3D picture.

Derek

Larry Mc likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Not off to the side, and not while walking. It's not a practical system for home use, especially for people who watch casually. I believe this is high on the list of the many reasons why 3D TV failed miserably.

kevintomb likes this.
  17. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Substitute, Vast majority of people that simply do not care....

18. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I'm not a very big fan of 3D. But there are some pictures for which it has really made a difference, "Gravity" of course the first that comes to mind. It's a failure I suppose in the sense that it has failed to spur a new round of TV-buying, but does that really mean it will disappear from TV sets? Why should it? How much does it add to manufacturing costs for it to be included as a feature? There's a small marginal cost even I would be willing to pay for it, even if to use it I would have to sit in this or that spot, wear the glasses, not move, eat the popcorn slowly, whatever.

4K strikes me as the kind of thing that will find a market more or less equivalent to that which exists for hi-res music downloads. Some people will say they can see a difference, though in most cases the difference will be attributable to some other improvement, such as color or black level or what have you. Some of course will benefit from a 4K set, if they prefer an enormous screen. But most won't see as big a difference as there was in the jump from tubes to flat panels, and sales in developed markets won't again reach the levels that existed up to about 2011 or so. That's my market analysis. :)

Oh yeah, one other thing -- it'll be a cold day down there before I buy another round of motion pictures stored on optical discs purporting to upgrade my current stock.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I believe I read a survey about a month ago that said that 60% of the world is still standard-def PAL, so they aren't seeing HD yet. 4K is decades away from being adopted everywhere. 3D ain't even on the radar.

20. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude Thread Starter

Great post. My wife and I love our 3D tv and the movies that we watch. we really don't have any more hassle than we do for any movie that we watch. If one of us has to go to get a drink or the bathroom, we stop the movie.
    Gravity is a great 3D movie......................... Today we saw "Captain America" in 3D and we had a blast, a good movie, now my favorite Marvel character.
    Getting to what you are talking about with 3D vs 4K I can only say, most folks in the agriculture business know what 3D is and they want the TV. My local costco sold 3 - 3D tv's in the past 9 days, the 3D movies for kids ie animated cartoons are
    rolling out almost all 3D.
    Folks were talking about how SACD failed so bad a couple of years ago, now look, we're getting new releases almost monthly. You never really know.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    Pinknik and darkmass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.