£650K Audio Note all-analog hi-fi sound system @ Sonisphere.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by motorcitydave, Jul 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam Thread Starter

I disagree. A top notch system will sound good off axis. Besides, audio should not be a solitary experience all the time, imo! That is one reason why audio clubs and societies exist. In addition, if Audio Note thought this was a lousy idea, they wouldn't leave this expensive equipment in the hands of these people.

2. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

It can't. It's like watching a 3D movie without the 3D glasses. If you are not in the sweet spot that is the simple and unfortunate reality of stereo playback. Whether or not it "should be" a solitary experience it is a fairly solitary experience. Yeah there are some omni-directional speakers that have a wider sweet spot but it's still a sweet spot and in a room full of people most of those people are not going to get anywhere near good sound.

3. motorcitydave

The sweet spot is the best place, but not the only place, imo. I like the sound from my system in the next room, off to the side, etc. It doesn't have to be strictly a solitary experience, and it's not to quite a few people, again the audio club thing or just a simple gathering. Anyway, who are you to say whether it does or doesn't?. Come on man, be a little open minded here.

Brother_Rael and T'mershi Duween like this.
  4. Scott Wheeler

I know it's just a gathering. Check what I wrote. "It sounds like fun."

My only point is that this would not be a good way to introduce someone to high end audio. If my first exposure to high end audio was a million dollar system and I listened to it out of the sweet spot and got none of the imaging that you get with high end audio from the sweet spot I would have walked away thinking high end audio was a complete waste of money and of no interest to me. You may very well like the sound of your system from the other room. But I feel confident in saying that the sound of any system from the other room will not sound like it's worth a million dollars. First impressions are lasting impressions.

5. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

I dunno, I get what you're saying, but I'm kind of with motorcitydave on this one. Unless the room is really awful, I think the majority of people will have an amazing, even revelatory experience, especially if they've never heard anything approaching high end.

I have a group of friends that regularly meets for the purpose of enjoying an audiophile listening experience, and of course only one of us can ever be in the sweet spot. But all of us are usually blown away regardless of where we are sitting in the room. Personally, I find listening so much more enjoyable when it's shared with others despite the compromises that entails.

T'mershi Duween and raferx like this.
  6. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

The whole idea of Classic Album Sundays, or pretty much anything else involving Colleen and these gorgeous audiophile systems is to have a lively, informed discussion about an album or two – usually with journalists, musicians and sometimes the actual artist themselves – and then listen to said LPs on said killer set-up.
    It's not about introducing newbies to high-end audio. Period.
    The whole side discussion about noobs listening to these systems is moot.
    And FWIW, having listened to many very high-end systems, and not always in the sweet spot, a good system is good system no matter where in the room you're sitting.
    And anybody with anything other than a tin ear will recognize a killer system for what it is.

motorcitydave and wgriel like this.
  7. motorcitydave

Ok, sorry about that. :) Well, if the whole thing is and was a raging disaster, it would have been over a long time ago.

Scott Wheeler likes this.
  8. motorcitydave

:edthumbs:

9. Scott Wheeler

:chill::chill::chill:
    You can't get anything close to decent imaging or the same spectral balance from just anywhere in the room with a properly set up two channel stereo system. If a collapse of the sound stage and loss of imaging along with a completely skewed frequency response sounds good to you you so be it. I'm certainly not going to argue with anyone about what they like. But That is not how stereo is designed to actually work and there is a very big difference between listening to stereo the way it was designed to be listened to and listening from any old spot in the room. Huge difference.

10. Scott Wheeler

I'm sure they are a great time. I'd go.

11. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Dude... I'm all about the sweet spot. Just saying (again) these are get togethers to listen and enjoy the sound of some classic LPs on a £650,000 system.
    Not as a demo for potential buyers, or for a private session of critical listening. It is what it is, and as you said yourself: "I'd go."
    And for the record, I'm very chill.

12. motorcitydave

Yeah, same here. :cool: :cheers:

13. finn

finn Forum Resident

Regarding the need for sweet spot listening, the good thing about this system is that you really don't need to sit centre to enjoy it as it is much more about energising the room and the tonal reproduction of the media. I know this as I have virtually the same system except for the power amps and a lesser pre but all the same other components and having had it set up for the local audio group in a largish hall, I know what it can do and aside from very high spl levels, then everyone enjoyed themselves.
    Incidently, the chapel at the house of st barnabas is not that large and the acoustic's are quite good so the levels required to fill the space would be more than covered by the Gakuon's.

wgriel, raferx and motorcitydave like this.
  14. Scott Wheeler

Dude! I'm with ya. Other people were talking about this as a good intro to high end audio to potential audiophiles. I was saying I don't think this would be the proper event for that. We agree. and heck yeah, I'd go! :cheers:

raferx likes this.
  15. David Cope

David Cope Forum Resident

This a really odd thread. The event under discussion is not a hifi show, nor is it a local club meet nor an event at a hifi dealer.

It's a bunch of music lovers getting together to listen to whole albums with an in depth discussion of those albums. Imaging, sound staging, attracting noobs, sweet spot, etc . . . are all wholly irrelevant. This is that rare as hen's teeth instance where it actually IS about the music. As a lovely side effect, a donation gets made to a worthy charity.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  16. David Cope

What Peter are you referring to, Steve? Can't possibly be Peter Qvortrup.

17. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Just going by outdated info, sorry, ignore..

18. David Cope

AFAIK, all of us AN-ers prefer the IOs and as high an AN-S (4, 8, 9) step-up as we can manage, but the budget gets thrown under the bus in a hurry.

Using a TT Two Deluxe (internal PS), Arm Three and IQ3 is $6K and change. Adding the external PS, changing to an IOI and S4 with an appropriate IC takes thin North of $20k in a hurry. Of course, it's nice to know you can start in the former place and wend your way to the latter without changing out the table or arm.

kfringe likes this.
  19. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

How's that AN TT2 going there Steve? Still spinning it or plugged something else in?

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Playing it right now, yes.

Great table.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  21. thommo

thommo Senior Member

^This.

I've been to one of these events (a smaller, pub sized one about a year/18 months ago), and the gear (while it's really good) is incidental compared to the music and the act of shared listening.

motorcitydave likes this.
  22. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

A local Washington DC area deal has a TT3. It is quite an nice sounding table. Records played on that table come to life and sound very dynamic and engaging. It is somewhat similar in sound to certain idler drive tables, just a lot better. While the table itself is relatively compact, the three power supplies for the motor and the separate motor control box take up a ridiculous amount of room.

I have heard the other components of that system, though not all together in one system. One of the better systems I heard was triamped, with two pairs of Gaku-Ons for the midrange and treble. When the owner found out that the system sounded just as good, if not better, with the tweeter driven by a Kageki, he bought a Kageki and relegated one of the pairs of Gaku-On to the status of a "backup" amp. Must be nice. . . .

23. David Cope

There is a TT3 Half Reference which has less insanely powerful motors and just one (large) power supply box.

24. motorcitydave

:edthumbs:

windfall likes this.
  25. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

I have attended one of these CAS shows, with Colleen, which was presented in Las Vegas during the last CES. The fun part was definitely her enthusiasm and showmanship. As a guest, she had the producer of the album, to discuss the recording session.

It was located in a John Varatis clothing store, rearranged to allow more standing in the center of the room (between the speakers), with clothing racks around the perifery. The sound was not like a home audio system, particularly lacking in image specificity, and not possessing the ultimate in high frequency transparency. But these really didn't matter because there were other sonic qualities that were simply phenominal.

It was a VERY impressive presentation of dynamics, liveliness, and energy. This made for an extremely live sound. So, in effect, the typical audiophile qualities were merely unimportant. What we had was closer to a LIVE event (sonically), even MORE impressive than audiophile... and in that way extremely audiophile.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    Ham Sandwich likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.