685 S2 out, 683 S2 in - B&W Speakers, that is *

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ron Scubadiver, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today I traded in my 685 S2''s for 683 S2's. It was hard to understand why a lower number cost more. Each box weights 32 kg, so I had to drag them across the floor to my den. Unboxing took a while, but there were reasonably good instructions on the box. I must have burned off a large burger doing all that. The store probably would have done this for me, but I wanted the speakers right away.

The 685's had nice mids and highs, but mid bass, which is present in so many recordings was lacking. There was no impact when kick drums got hit. Perhaps this had something to do with my 16x27 den, its 12' ceiling and large openings into other parts of the house.

I auditioned the 683 S2's at two places. At Magnolia voices sounded distant and bass lacked impact. At Modia (a locally owned Houston and Dallas TX business) they sounded a lot better although there was a bit of boom in the bass which I attributed to a close to the wall speaker placement. The test track was the 1980 live version of "Hotel California". When I played it at home on the 685's it sounded like a lot was missing. In the first hour of listening at home the bass sounds about right to me. That is lots of impact with no boom. I have not tried the "Coward" track from Interstellar with its deep bass yet.

Imaging, sound stage and detail is at least as good as the 685 S2's. It's been a long time since I had anything in this house with some kick to it.

Playback is from an Intel Nuc Pentium computer running Win 10, Foobar2000, FiiO e10k dac, vintage B&K EX 4420 amplifier, generic interconnects, vintage Vampire Wire bi-wire speaker harness.

Bananas&blow, Jaap74 and GyroSE like this.
  2. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Could it be you are talking about Bowers & Wilkins loudspeakers?

qwerty likes this.
  3. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

I assume there is a point in there somewhere. Congrats on the B&W's! Before you decide too much I would let them play non-stop for a few weeks and see if they break in. I suspect they will, or your ears/brain will.

4. Ron Scubadiver

Yes. Does someone else make those numbers? How about an 883, that's a Harley Davidson.

5. Ron Scubadiver

The 685's changed a bit after break in, but not much. I would say the change was mostly in the bass and on the order of minor position changes. The last largish speakers I had were Snell E III's about 18 years ago. The foam surrounds rotted out.

6. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

I have had the B&W 683 S2's for about a month, superb sounding speakers and yes they will get better (-;

7. Ron Scubadiver

Thank you.

8. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Congrats. I love my B&W speakers. I love how they take lots of power and never sound harsh or unbalanced, silky smooth, but really detailed.

9. Ron Scubadiver

Thank you. I have noticed they play loud without strain.

10. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

I've been researching new floorstanders and the 683 S2 are ones that have my interest. I need speakers that can go close to the walls but they can be placed a few inches out, so not right against the wall. Are these speakers ok to use close to the walls? I do see they have the ports on the front so I guess that's a plus.

11. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

I have moved mine around a bit since getting them and settled on a spot 12" from the back wall. In my listening environment this was the best for me.

Budysr likes this.
  12. Ron Scubadiver

B&W recommends a minimum of 18" from side and back walls.

13. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

That's about what I figured. Seems like almost all high end speakers need to be a good distance from walls. I guess my search will continue minus the B&Ws.

14. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

683s are very nice speakers, congrats!

They'll have tons more bass and impact than the 685s and should have more midrange detail due to the FST driver. I do like the 685s mind you, but they are better suited to smaller spaces and lower listening volumes than the 683s.

15. George P

George P Notable Member

I am considering these speakers and wanted to check in and see if folks were still happy with them.

16. George P

George P Notable Member

Anyone, please?

17. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I always liked B&W's lower priced speakers. They may be somewhat usual in appearance, but the accuracy, imaging, and overall uniformity of the frequency range are tough to beat in their price class. I have a pair of previous generation 684s anchoring my second system. They are always a pleasure to listen to.

uncleflx likes this.
  18. George P

George P Notable Member

Glad to hear it!

I have a pair of 683 S2s on the way to me, to arrive this morning. I had spent awhile at my local Best Buy, trying out everything from Rage Against The Machine to Tracy Chapman to Steely Dan to Prince to Tool to Doobie Brothers and the speakers sounded great! And that was with V0 MP3s!

19. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

I have a pair of B&W 683 S1 speakers and am super happy with them. They do nothing wrong and, yes, that Kevlar midrange is nice. S2 has a decoupled tweeter and a bit more bass slam from the redesigned dual woofers. Tremendous value. I run mine with Krell Class A power, tempered by some NOS tubes in my linestage.

George P likes this.
  20. Ron Scubadiver

My 883S2's met an unfortunate end. During hurricane Harvey water flowed into the port causing the MDF cabinet to separate. There was likely further damage to the crossovers and woofers. What I found was these speakers were very sensitive to placement, especially distance from the front wall and toe in.

21. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Almost every speaker, high end or not, expensive or cheap, need distance from the walls except for a few that were designed to be placed against a wall. Larsen (Larson?) speakers are designed to be placed against a wall as were some old Allison speakers.

Budysr and George P like this.
  22. George P

George P Notable Member

Sorry to hear that! :(

Like they need a lot of toe in?

When you say distance from the front wall, about how much?(And by front wall, do you mean the wall that they face, or the wall that is behind them?)

23. Ron Scubadiver

As for positioning, you just have to experiment. Every room is different and we all have different tastes.

24. George P

George P Notable Member

Of course, I was just asking you to share your experience.

25. Ron Scubadiver

It's been over 3 months since I listened to them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.