70s and 80s Game Shows

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by driverdrummer, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident Thread Starter

What are your favorites? I had a blast watching old episodes of Fandango, Bullseye, Super Password, and Name That Tune this morning. Are there any good game show dvds out there with full episodes or straight from the videotape masters?

2. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Bullseye has a special charm now that escaped me in the 1980s. We've been watching it on Challenge. My girlfriend thinks it's hilarious and tacky that Jim Bowen counts out the money for the losing contestants during the ad break.

I don't know about actual episodes being released on DVD, but we do have the DVD game of Bullseye, which cost £1.50 from a local charity shop. It's a bit ropey, but I can't describe the pleasure it gave me to win that virtual speedboat.

3. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Some of my favorites from the 70's and 80's include (but not limited to): The New $25,000 Pyramid, Super Password, Scrabble, Press Your Luck, Double Dare (Nickelodeon) just to name a few.

4. Kitlope

Kitlope Forum Resident

This thread wouldn't be complete if "Definition" wasn't mentioned. Recognize the theme song?

5. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

Don't know about DVD's for any of these, but:

70's:
    The Match Game
    The thing to remember about this show is that the object of the game was not to give the "best" (or most clever) answer, which so many contestants too often did, but rather to match the panel of "b"-level (if even that!) celebrities, who usually seemed to be juiced out of their heads! :p

The Gong Show
    Not exactly a "game" show per se (more of a "talent" contest by definition), but still far more entertaining than the likes of "American Idol" and "America's Got Talent" (oxymoron alert! :cop:).

Let's Make A Deal
    Kinda sick, perhaps, but I always thought this show was funniest when a contestant dressed in a stupid outfit even more stupidly traded away a prize for a "zonk" (i.e. his and hers sway-back mules, etc.). :laugh:

Family Feud
    I cannot accept any host other than Richard Dawson for this classic.

Hollywood Squares
    Paul Lynde will always be the star, or center square, of this show for me.

80's:
    Wheel Of Fortune
    I much preferred this show when contestants who solved the puzzle were forced to "shop" for their prizes amidst a bunch of junk no one would reasonably want. :winkgrin:

The $25,000 Pyramid

This show actually originated in the 70's (I think it started out as $10,000), but endured well into the 80's, and I believe it even got up to $100,000 at one point. Still, that's not quite $1,000,000 but then I've never really liked the more recent game shows, such as "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire" even though these do offer those kind of figures; of course, it could also be because I simply miss Dick Clark. :cry:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    junk and Dan C like this.
  6. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Early 70s Match Game and The Gong Show were my favorites. Price is Right with Bob Barker was another favorite.

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Press Your Luck!

No Whammies, no whammies... STOP!

mmars982 and bartels76 like this.
  8. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Split Second, w/ Tom Kennedy-- an amazing show!

9. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Joker's Wild!

10. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

11. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

There are DVD "Best of" sets for ALL-STAR FAMILY FEUD, THE MATCH GAME, THE PRICE IS RIGHT, and PASSWORD. These were originally
    released by BCI Eclipse, then re-released at a lower price by Mill Creek a few years later. You can generally find these at Target for $10 or so, and they're
    a lot of fun to watch (I have all but the PASSWORD set).

driverdrummer likes this.
  12. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Fun show. I always was amazed it could finish in the time allotted. I think only one episode had a "Part 2" when the show unsuccessfully sued a contestant for learning the whammy pattern.

13. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I watch a rerun on GSN every once in awhile. It is obvious now how easily this show was fixed. If you do not like a contestant, go for the funny answer. And if Richard did not think you appreciated him enough in Super Match, watch him come up with the most obscure answer.

14. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I think the show was Card Sharks, with the giant playing cards and people yelling higher and lower. I remember watching this with my mom when I was really little before I started attending school.

15. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

I've grown addicted to youtube, and the plethora of wonderful old shows on there...wonderful memories of when these great shows were on almost all day, instead of court and trashy talk shows.

Especially fond of "10,000", "20,000", "50,000" "25,000" and "100,000" Pyramid. Still the most intense bonus game of all.

16. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Shenanigans Kid's game show. We even had the home game board version.
    Take a look at the great prizes she won: cases of soda pop, bunches of candy, and even a Beatles prize- beatles hohner harmonicas!

milankey likes this.
  17. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Thats cool. Stubby had to wipe a tear from his eye when the announcer finished announcing all the prizes the girl won.

18. fiendish_thingy

fiendish_thingy Forum Resident

I still get a kick out of watching the mid to late 70s episodes of Match Game. Very funny (and often cheeky) stuff.

19. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

I firmly believe there was some serious weed being smoked before the "Gong Show" was taped, Barris and especially Jaye P. Morgan always seemed zonked. I think it may have started with "The Newlywed Show", some of those couples, especially the men, look high as kites.

20. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Tic Tac Dough was a favorite of mine when I was very little.

21. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Any love for MTV's "Remote Control"?

junk, rod and bartels76 like this.
  22. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

...and from Canada:

23. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

When GSN was still good, I loved watching old Family Feud, Match Game, and Password Plus/Super Password episodes. I also enjoyed some they showed early on Saturday mornings (if I was up), like Child's Play, Blockbusters (I think that was the name, with Bill Cullen), Press Your Luck, and old Wheel of Fortune episodes. Oh, and of course, all the incarnations of Pyramid.

Mark Nelson and MMM like this.
  24. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Card Sharks!

25. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The 1982-88 variants of Pyramid are my favorite of all. Thankfully GSN still airs it, with a recently added "new" set of $25k episodes that previously haven't been on television in a long time.

I wish there was an "Antenna TV" for vintage/classic game shows.

OldSoul likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.