70s FM Radio.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarvius, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'd kill for an aircheck featuring the concert ad slogan "The sweet sound of Gentle Giant!", where they then cut to the beginning of "River" from Octopus... My own introduction to this fave group of mine in the winter of 1973, on CHOM-FM in Montreal... :love:

2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Might be out there. Lots of websites with archived air checks, you may be surprised. Google is your friend...

ParloFax likes this.
  3. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

Yeah, GTB was my favorite. I loved the mellow vibes on the air and all the great music and the news about various happenings around the D.C. area. Man, it was a great tme to be growing up! What a groove. :wave:

As an aside, are you going to the Capitol Audiofest this year? I'm really looking forward to it. I'm looking to seriously upgrade my phono preamp and that's easily the best place in town to hear some really good equipment and make some decisions.

Dave Mac likes this.
  4. Dave Mac

Dave Mac Retired Sophisticated Gentleman Of Leisure

5. Dave Mac

Dave Mac Retired Sophisticated Gentleman Of Leisure

Aw

Man, I'm having a tough night tonight!
    Tried replying, clicked the wrong button, replied with nothing.
    Went in to edit my "nothing" post, ran out of time and got kicked out!

Here goes again:

I wasn't really that into Prog back in the day -- a little ELP, some King Crimson, Jukka Tolonen, Steve Hillage -- but i used to tune in 'GTB once in a while for a change of pace. Some interesting stuff from off the beaten path.

No, no Audiofest for me. My system is pretty much locked in for the practical foreseeable future, especially regarding new gear. And window shopping can be frustrating and way too tempting. I'm wishing for 1 or 2(!) Mac MX110 Tuner-Preamps but I'm finding my Social Security doesn't stretch as far as my dreams. Besides, I just blew a whole check on a pair of Heresys for the living room and a second set of Cornwalls to wait in the wings for my eventual dedicated Music Room. I wanted to put them in the living room but fuzzy-brain Mom is still together enough to nix that idea. Crap. The Heresys will likely get Crites' xovers and I'm told the Cornwalls already have them, but I have to crack 'em open and see for myself.

Despite the size of my current listening room I'm really pleased with my setup. I can recommend the Sutherland PH3D Phono Stage. It might be recently out of production but leftover stock and used can be had for a couple to several hundred $. Variable impedance and gain, runs on 16 D-cells, and is quieter than a dead Tesla sitting in the garage. I use mine with a Shelter 501 and it's beauteous. I listen only a couple nights a week and I haven't changed the batteries in, what, 5 years? (Yes, I check them for corrosion.)

Anyway, have fun at Audiofest. See you around the Forum.

6. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

The simple answer is that corporations bought out artist's music catalogues including publishing rights. As a result, corporate stations make a royalty each time they play a song that they now own half. That's why we keep hearing the same narrow band of "popular" songs each day over and over again.

ytserush likes this.
  7. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

KOL Seattle

8. jack25

jack25 New Member

I loved the Ricky Mess. Mid to late 80's I think. Was T. Morgan's show called Rock and Roll never forgets? I remember late 80's to early 90's on WYSP. It may have been syndicated. And Saturday mornings on WMMR from early 80's to maybe late 90's they had a show called Rock and Roll Roots. It was hosted by a traffic reporter or reporter from another station. I forget his name. Just remembered-Rod Carson. Somebody else may have hosted in the 90's. Anybody remember those shows?

9. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

I think T.’s show may have eventually been called that, but I think it was going under a different name when I first started listening circa ’83. Man, this is gonna bug me – it’s one of those tip-of-your-tongue type things.

10. Malcolm Crowne

Malcolm Crowne Forum Habitue

re community/local -- KINK referenced above for the album preview shows also used to do something called a "rain set" -- sounds of rain fading in between the songs. Portland. Once upon a time, everyone here was...from here.

11. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

My experience was that FM radio in the 70's was it was an exciting new way to listen to emerging music. There was an infux of new music coupled with carryover from the 60's broadcast in quality that was unheardof at the time. That was also the era of "freeform radio" which went a LONG way to making 70's FM what it was.

If you're into 70's FM radio you need to check out this documentary. I've seen it a few times and am fortunate enough to know one of the 4 people profiled and I lived through the experiences he talks about. Good watch IMHO

12. Thanks for this explanation, but I still don't quite get all of it. If they bought entire catalogues from given artists - and not just the rights to a limited number of warhorse songs - why do they always play the same song from given artist?

13. Thanks for this. What's that riff that starts at 0:32?

It reminds me of another, older rock song which I used to be somehow obsessed with when I was a kid, and which I have never be able to identify...

GroovyGuy likes this.
  14. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

That would be "Spirit of Radio" by Rush :)

ParloFax likes this.
  15. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

I was lucky enough to work with 2 of the people profiled and spent a lot of time with 1 of them. They are 2 of the all-time greats. It's also a really good doc, worth a watch even if you know nothing about radio.

GroovyGuy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.