70s FM Radio.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarvius, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TGH7

TGH7 Forum Resident

FM radio in the 70's was how you connected, not just about music. It let you know what was going on and where to go. Every town had a station or two, for me WMMS and later also WNCR, that had their own character and personality. Corporate radio started creeping in during the late 70's...

Jarvius and strummer101 like this.
  2. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

KMET. There was nothing like it & probably will never be anything like it again. I remember when the station went new age. It was like losing a relative.

3. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Correct, Canada always allowed for more powerful transmissions.

4. videoman

videoman Senior Member

KOME in San Jose.

"Don't touch that dial. It's got KOME on it".

geo50000, timind, milankey and 2 others like this.
  5. John54

John54 Senior Member

I thought AM pop was getting a bit stale in 1969 so I started listening to CHUM-FM quite a bit. The DJs seemed to have quite a bit of leeway with regards to what they would play, although anything new by a major artist was not overlooked.

Somehow I can't imagine CHUM-FM playing Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers in its entirety today ...

Bigbudukks likes this.
  6. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

When you called a radio station back in the 70s/80s with a "deep cut" request they actually would play it.

jamesmaya likes this.
  7. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

You forgot M105, which had a good run from 1975-80.

WMMS also had the "coffee break concerts", at the old Cleveland Agora, featuring an artist that was playing in town either that night or the next. They would play a 40-50 minute set, with an interview by "Matt the Cat" in the middle. It aired live at noon. The coffee break shows were FREE. You just had to hurry and get tickets at one of many local record store when the show was announced. I saw Lou Reed and David Johansen at coffee break concerts.
    Again...good times!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Michael P likes this.
  8. strummer101

Depends on who was throwing the party, but...yeah. And at some parties we would stop the music and watch SNL at 11:30.

Jarvius likes this.
  9. strummer101

I was there. Of course it was post-70s, but radio hadn't died in Cleveland yet.

TGH7 likes this.
  10. d.s.l.

d.s.l. Forum Resident ^O;O^

It broke my heart.

Roberto899 likes this.
  11. This will give you a broad range of DJ airchecks from the 1970's.

Airchexx.com

jamesmaya and strummer101 like this.
  12. strummer101

Here's an example of a coffee break concert in Cleveland from 1975, FREE.
    I wasn't there. :cry:

13. strummer101

And then there were studio guests. Do they do this anymore?

14. Jarvius

Jarvius Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wait, I'm not too hip to radio stations, but could everyone in the States get the same station? I always thought it was local stations. I'm sorry if that's a dumb question lol.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  15. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

So did I! I'll never forget getting the 1974 Rolling Stones Brussels concert onto an eight-track (!) which stayed with me until someone decided to steal it at a party some years later.

Stinks is right. Internet radio is OK, but somehow ... I don't know. Not the same.

strummer101 likes this.
  16. EdogawaRampo

FM was definitely local -- usually like a 50-mile broadcast radius. Maybe in the north east there were big stations that could broadcast farther. In later years (can't remember...late '70s?) I think you could get some FM stations on cable.

Jarvius and zebop like this.
  17. strummer101

I saw Yes at the Richfield Coliseum in 1979, outside of Cleveland. It was simulcast on a local radio show and my buddy who I went with had his little brother capture it onto cassette. Not only did I enjoy the show live, I'm still enjoying it (now digitized)! Good times!

18. jamesmaya and EdogawaRampo like this.
  19. drewslo

drewslo Forum Resident

One of the first things I noticed about FM radio is that they played the records at "normal" speed which actually sounded slow since I was used to the speeded up AM versions.

20. William Abely

William Abely Forum Resident

Yes - I forgot about the local bands that the AOR stations would play. The Stompers, Beaver Brown, Duke and the Drivers, The Fools and so on.

I go back to the 70's and WBCN and WCOZ (AAF was never on my radar, probably because I could only Rangel,3 buttons in my mom's car and the third was for the Oldies). Here is an interview with the man who was on the vanguard of the destruction of great radio (unfortunately sucky radio got better ratings):

Playlist Research Interview with Radio Consultant John Sebastian

21. William Abely

William Abely Forum Resident

Trivia - Peter Wolf is the DJ Van references in 'Domino'.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  22. EdogawaRampo

I have Vol. 1 and not only is it great, it's the real deal -- gives you a great intro into what it was like.

23. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Unlike AM, FM is unable to "broadcast further" just by powering up more. The signal is in a straight line and is affected by the curvature of the earth.

I do remember some stations on cable in the late 70s/early 80s

24. SonyTek

SonyTek Forum Resident

I remember that day well. I was on my way home from work, and had it on and listening when they "flipped" to "The Wave". I knew it was going to happen and wanted to hear the last moments of the "Mighty MET". What a sad moment it was, too. I'm sure I felt the same as many others listening at the time, like a good friend just died.. You just knew the passing of time was happening at a faster pace than you could process, and inevitably you started feeling older.

"Little Bit of Heaven, 94.7 KMET, Tweedle Dee" (or something like that).

Now we have "The Sound" 100.3 KSWD (which was KIQQ "Hi, I'm Francesca Cappucci on K-I-Q----Q!" and then Scott Shannon's bogus "Pirate Radio"). KSWD is o.k. but it's just not the same as KMET.

jamesmaya and Roberto899 like this.
  25. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Finally got to hear songs that were longer than five minutes on the radio, with a clarity that was not possible on AM stations.

CKUA in Alberta...gold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.