70's US & UK Charts.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jul 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Damn Benny Hill and his stupid milk cart, keeping T.Rex at no 2 for all those weeks over xmas with Jeepster.

2. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Ah - The Joe Dolce Syndrome. Could be a great bandname... :D

bob60 likes this.
  3. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Yes but it would have to be called the Benny syndrome as he was first by a full decade.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  4. OneStepBeyond

True, or even earlier... The Humperdinck Syndrome. :)

She is anyway likes this.
  5. OneStepBeyond

Just found this... I like these little nuggets - quite educational for me too. I have to confess I was unaware until just now that Benny Hill kept Marc Bolan and co from the #1 spot. And Jeepster is my fave T-Rex track as well!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ts-got-No-2--surprising-rivals-kept-spot.html

Hmm, I've already spotted a mistake. I was wondering who the heck The Kings were, then I saw they released the song Waterloo Sunset. :rolleyes:

6. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

The 1975 self titled BCR LP sold alright here, which included that song and "Saturday Night", which gave them some some airplay before their disco hits started taking hold over here as they are more of a disco era band here in terms of their peak in popularity.

7. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

The debut LP, 'Rollin', was huge here. The follow-up, 'Once Upon A Star' sold well off the back of the lead single ('Bye Bye Baby'). After that there was a steady fall off, though they did pretty well for the next year.

bob60 and Remington Steele like this.
  8. Remington Steele

Here is the Cashbox Top 100 for America's Top 100 on January 30, 1971:
    1.Lonely Days- The Bee Gees (Their First #1 on any US chart)
    2.Knock Three Times- Tony Orlando & Dawn (Singers are not actually the "Dawn" that was made famous)
    3.Rose Garden- Lynn Anderson (From a movie of the same name)
    4.Groove Me- King Floyd (classic southern soul, recorded the same day as Jean Knight's hit "Mr. Big Stuff")
    5.If I Were Your Woman- Gladys Knight (She would change record labels in a year)
    6.My Sweet Lord- George Harrison (needs no introduction)
    7.Stoney End- Barbara Streisand (backed by the all girl band, Fanny, who would have a hit shortly with "Charity Ball)
    8.One Less Bell To Answer- The Fifth Dimension ( One of their many big easy listening hits)
    9.Your Song- Elton John (first big hit)
    10.It's Impossible- Perry Como (gained him a new generation on fans, somewhat)
    11.Remember Me- Diana Ross (proved that her previous two solo hits were no fluke)
    12.I Hear You Knockin- Dave Edmunds (his first hit)
    13.Watching Scotty Grow- Bobby Goldsboro (sequel to his "Honey")
    14.Immigrant Song- Led Zeppelin (From the underrated 3rd LP)
    15.I Really Don't Want To Know- Elvis Presley (also a popular Eddy Arnold tune)
    16.One Bad Apple- The Osmonds (Their first big hit)
    17.Love The One You're With- Stephen Stills (his first solo hit)
    18.Precious Precious- Jackie Moore (classic soul)
    19.Born To Wander- Rare Earth (one of their final hits)
    20.Mother- Plastic Ono Band (hear John Lennon wear those vocal chords out near the end of the song)

I researched and found that only 8 of these tunes had a similar impact in the UK, slightly closer chart action in Australia.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  9. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Aghhhhhh please, enough of those bloody mop tops. Let's at least have one thread that they cannot take over.
    But at least you never mentioned them by name..:)

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  10. Remington Steele

Definitely more of a hearkening to early/mid 60s rock on those earlier Rollers hits.
    I discovered that years after mostly being exposed to disco era stuff on the radio.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

You're right. I only know 8-10 of those well.:)

12. Bobby Morrow

1974 was their big year here. They were never out of the charts.

13. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

And only today Lynn has gone to that rose garden in the sky. Love that record.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  14. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Of this list, in my 45 collection are #2, 3, 5, 6, 8 - 10, 12 - 14, and 20.

15. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

Who the hell is Kris Kristoggerson?! (Someone else has undoubtedly mentioned this, but I'm coming in with 13 pages behind me!) ;)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  16. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

In the 1970s, the Munster Express, one of the local newspapers in my area, used to print record chart data submitted to them by Sinnotts record store. The charts were handwritten. "Gary Glitter" was transcribed as Gary Gutter and the "Glitterband" became the Gutterband. Foresight, or what?!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

Never noticed that.:)

Unless Kris was a drinker and that's what he called himself after he'd had a few, I've no idea.:D

bleachershane likes this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

Did you see that 1973 I tagged you in on?

19. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I loved the Bay City Rollers. I just love mega mega pop bands, and God they were absolutely huge for a whole.
    Actually I often see their singer Les Mckeown shopping in my local Morrisons

She is anyway and Bobby Morrow like this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

Did the Rollers ever get the money they were owed?

21. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Huh, there's Henry Gross again (at No. 50). I always thought he was a one hit wonder (courtesy of "Shannon"). But no, "Springtime Mama" peaked at No. 37. Have to look that one up.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  22. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

No. Which is a shame because it is a huge sum, they were huge globally.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  23. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I find it difficult to comprehend a 1976 chart that has Demis Roussos at No. 3, Billy Connolly at No. 24 (the Billy Connolly?), at least four 1960s hits (Shangri-La's, Beatles, Beach Boys and Little Anthony) and "At The Hop" from the 1950s. That said, it does have about 15 songs I really like. My favourites are "Kiss And Say Goodbye", "Harvest For The World" and "You Should Be Dancing".

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  24. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Sorry to disagree but I think not.

The selling point was that they provided a large number of recent hits (albeit cover versions) all on one LP at a reasonable price, there was no other way to acquire these hits other than as the original singles.

The price and cover partly made up for the songs not being by the original artists.

Once K Tel and Arcade launched their 20 Dynamic hits and 20 Fantastic hits (containing the actual singles by the real artists) at GBP 1.99 each the market for the Top Of The Pops albums vanished almost overnight.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  25. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

That's a brilliant top 3. It looks forward to the 80s. The Police, Blondie and Gary Numan. Very forward looking. Shame about the next two songs...

Bobby Morrow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.