'71 - really good "war" movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mpayan, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off Thread Starter

Just finished watching the british made movie " '71". More historically set than war action, yet still plenty of action.

The movie is about a young british solidier who gets separated from his unit during a Belfast riot. Set during the irish catholic/protestant conflicts, I highly recommend this movie. The movie has both a great thriller plot with twists, lessons for thought and great acting.

slipkid and smilin ed like this.
  2. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I liked this movie too. It seem to come and go, without much fan fare. Definitely should be rented or streamed.

3. mpayan

It reminded me a bit of BlackHawk Down. Only a much better made movie with a bigger messege.

Yeah, kind of supports what Hoffman said concerning the state of cinema. Mad Maxx redux's can garner tons of praise and millions upon millions but a really meaningful movie that also is engaging gets crickets.

townsend likes this.
  4. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Great movie! A shame it seems so overlooked.

5. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Just finished watching it; powerful, tense, well-acted and paced. The level of betrayal among those on the same side(s) made this more than just another 'chase' (man in a maze) movie. Though I've seen several references to the fact that it is 'based on a true story,' I have yet to find any information supporting that in any detail. Anybody?

slipkid likes this.
  6. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

FWIW, I found the reboot killer for about 10 minutes, given how much better the effects are now than the original low budget job of the very first movie (which is still the best one, I think). But by the half hour mark, I got the feeling that it was just going to be endless vehicle chases and mayhem, and by the time I was an hour in, it was simply boring. Hopefully, these smaller, well made films endure, and gain more of an audience over time. I just watched '71 tonite; with home video streaming, etc. I imagine people will continue to be able to access such content for years to come. There are certain favorites of mine that were probably pretty flat in initial release, but over time, their rep grows, by positive word of mouth. I'll certainly be recommending '71 to others.

mpayan likes this.
  7. mpayan

Bill, Im not sure its based upon an actual story that happened, but rather the political/social/theological upheaval of the are and times. Ive also looked and can find nothing that relates specifically to the incidence in the movie. If it is fiction it certainly presents the conflict in a personal and convincing way that plays in a much bigger way than simply the storyline, fiction or not.

Bill Hart likes this.
  8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

That's too bad. I LOVE the new Mad Max movie. Best action movie I've seen in many years. At first I thought it was going to be crap too , but it won me over. Loved the characters (and the chases).

'71 is a great movie as well, but they are apples & oranges; one is a gripping reality based movie with real life drama and the other is a science fictionist futuristic thriller with what looks like billion dollar death defying totally incredible hold onto your hat I can't believe they did that action scenes that are like "wow man!".

9. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I guess that's what makes art subjective. I like my dystopian futures dark and gritty. Did you see the original?
    As to comparing the Mad Max, rebooted, to '71, you are right, they are apples and Germany. Maybe it's an age thing, I dunno. I'm 60; while not ready for the grave,I feel like I've seen so many action movies, I'm looking for something different. I remember the first time I saw John Woo's The Killer (or Killer?)- it was so over the top, I loved it. And sometimes, bringing all the H-wood money and effects is fun, that Tom Cruise thing where he is constantly recycled back into the same battle was cool. Not being critical of your taste, just thought I'd flesh out my comments. It's rare that I'll even go to a theatre any more; went when Gravity came out to see it in Imax; will likely do the same for the Everest movie.

10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yes, have seen all the Mad Max movies. Am not much of a fan of the first or the third one but liked the second one (The Road Warrior) a lot.

This new one is more of a reboot of Road Warrior than any of the other in the series (regarding the style of the road "battles", the quest of the main characters, the weirdness of some of the characters etc), but with different characters/plot and amped up a bit. The role of "Max" isn't even the central one, "Furiosa" is as much the focus of this movie as Max is.

Bill Hart likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.