75 or 300 antenna connection? I know nothing really.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Leggs91203, May 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leggs91203

Leggs91203 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I figure it is time I learn something about it.
    All of my receivers are 80's or early 90's models and have antenna connections where you either unscrew a cap and put in a wire OR spring-loaded connectors for bare wires.

Anyways, does an antenna need to be a specific type of wire or will just any ol wire do like spare speaker wire?
    Also, does it really matter if one uses the 75 or 300 ohm conectors?

Finally, when one does use the 75 or 300 connectors, does the wore need to be a continuous loop, like say someone used "any ol wire", would the two wire strands need to be connected together at the end that is NOT hooked into the stereo?

I know his looks like dumb questions. Until now I would just hook up a stereo antenna any ol way and it seemed to work but I would like to do it properly.

this photo below is pretty typical of my receivers, no coax connectors.
    But like this basically -
    Would a specific wire be needed? If so, does it need to loop both connectors for 75 or 300?
    Just trying to do things right

[​IMG]

2. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

Any ole thin guage wire will do usually, the separate AM & FM connections is a bit confusing though.

3. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

If your antenna uses twin-lead cable, connect it to the 300 ohm terminals. If it uses coaxial cable, connect it to the 75 ohm terminals -- or if you don't want to strip off the end, use a 75-to-300 ohm adapter. If you're using a single piece of wire or a coat hanger or whatever as an antenna, connect it to whichever terminal gives the best reception.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Leggs91203

westlife, alright, that explains why the 75 ohm connection often is the way it is.

Well, I shall try that.

5. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Most 1970s tuners/receivers with both 75 and 300 ohm terminals just had a 75/300 transformer built in to make the switch. "Just a hunk of wire" often works best on the 300 ohm input with the ground left open.

SandAndGlass and nm_west like this.
  6. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. Leggs91203

I appreciate the feedback.

8. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I have a 75 ohm coaxial outdoor antenna (Fanfare FM2G). The coax cable runs into my house. My Tivoli Model One radio has a direct connection for the coax cable. My older KLH Model 21 has a 300 ohm antenna connection (two screw heads as shown in VWestlove's post above) so I use a 75/300 ohm balun attached to the antenna connection on the KLH radio to interface with the coax antenna cable.

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.