8-Track Tape Players and how they work

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PaulKTF, Jul 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

I just came across this video and wanted to share because I thought it was cool. :)

8-Track Tape Players and how they work

Simon A, inperson and joelee like this.
  2. Bradfinger

Bradfinger Forum Resident

I recently purchased a JVC CHR-250UB after "inheriting" about 300 carts. I was pleasantly surprised by some of the carts (after replacing the pads and foil splice on ALL of them). They'll never surpass a nice clean LP, but certainly better than most cassettes I've heard. I already spend too much money on records and vintage hi-fi gear, and now I am re-buying Stereo 8 cartridges of titles I already own.

Simon A, timind, clhboa and 1 other person like this.
  3. chosenhandle

chosenhandle Forum Resident

do you think if we watched long enough the 8 track would eat itself and get all snarled up inside? Maybe the trick to 8 tracks is to leave the cover off so it is easier to untangle them.

There sure was something special about slamming in an 8 track in the car as a teen. Made me feel like I was on top of the world.

timind, DigMyGroove and Coricama like this.
  4. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

And wedging a matchbook into the crack for better head alignment.

5. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I don't remember having as many tape tangles with 8-track as I did with cassettes. I hated those things.

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

7. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I haven't had an 8-track player since I was a kid in the early 80s, but last week for fun I took apart and thoroughly cleaned a deck and replaced the belt. It now sounds perfectly fine except for the volume level. I don't recall, but was it common for these things to be so quiet? I have to crank the dial up 75% of max volume to get to my normal listening level. It's going to be quite a shock to the eardrums if I ever forget to turn it down before changing inputs.

8. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

My old Realistic 8-track recorder has an output level control in the back, right near the RCA outs. You might want to check if yours has one.

9. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I noticed that but it seemed maxed out, although thinking back maybe I incorrectly assumed that it turned clockwise. Maybe it's supposed to be counter clockwise?

10. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Can't hurt to give it a try, perhaps the pot is a little dirty. I had to work mine a bit when I resurrected it a few years ago.

11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

I'm assuming that when you cleaned the deck you also cleaned the heads. If so, the most likely cause of low volume is deteriorated or missing pressure pads. Different styles of carts used different types of pads; on the ones with the brass spring, it's common for the pads to fall off. On many others, the foam deteriorates and the tape isn't pressed tightly against the head. Both of these will cause low, muffled playback.

Happy trails,
    Larry B.

12. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Oh yeah, cleaned the capstan of a ton of old black gunk that was dried and caked on with emory paper, Q-Tips and xylol on the head, oiled the bearings on the capstan, and changed the belt. It sounds about as good as I hoped for so I think that dasacco has the right idea. I have some tapes with good pads and some that are completely gone and both types sound roughly the same in volume. I plan to recheck that rear gain dial later when I get home.

13. tumbleweed

While you're at it, let us know which deck you have.

Happy trails,
    Larry B.

14. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Heh. It's really nothing fancy. Just a small RCA deck. It doesn't even have an external on/off button, just one for track selection. It only powers up once you push a tape in and it clicks a switch next to the track change sensor. It's totally hi tech.

15. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

We used to use McDonald's straws bent in half as a wedge.

16. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I remember a friend had one with a thumb wheel on the front that adjusted the head. It was called "fine tuning." Worked quite nicely!

ShallowMemory likes this.
  17. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Nope. That gain dial was maxed.
    It's an RCA MVC 980W

18. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Pretty simple technology or I wouldn't have been able to fix them for my local Pawn Shop while I was in high school. Then again, I probably worked on more 4 tracks than 8 tracks.

19. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Crap.. thought that was it for sure..

20. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

It might have to do with worn out foam. I rechecked my tapes (have about 20 or so) and some do sound louder than others other none of them are anywhere near as loud as my turntable.

21. tumbleweed

It is possible that your RCA deck just has lower output than you'd expect, although that's unlikely. Almost all "line level" devices put out roughly the same voltage. I'm still thinking that level pot needs some cleaning, and working back and forth to dislodge the dirt.

Worse comes to worst, you can probably pick up a better deck for under $30.

If you decide to refoam your tapes, new ones are available from Kate's Track Shack in Texas.

Happy trails,
    Larry B.

Isaac K. likes this.
  22. Daily Nightly

Daily Nightly Well-Known Member

Wollensak and Akai machines tried to get *the* most fidelity from them.

23. Methodical

Methodical Forum Resident

And clear scotch tape to repair those breaks.

24. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I wish I could remember the make and model, but I had a great 8 track player that also had a fm tuner in it. Best part was that it was removable from an under dash bracket at anytime to keep it from getting stolen. Although I eventually added an external power amp, it had pretty good power on its own.

Played through the then iconic Jensen co axial speakers in the package shelf!

In the 70's lots of car audio stuff was stolen. Very tough economic times.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  25. tumbleweed

No no no. Regular Scotch tape turns gummy and messes up your machine. What's required is thermosetting splicing tape.

Cheers,
    Larry B.

zebop, The FRiNgE and Tim Müller like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.