8-tracks: Sound good or awful?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Nostaljack, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Believe it or not, I did have some 8 track tapes that sounded extraordinarily good. However, the consistency of sound quality from tape to tape could be hit or miss. I did make my own from time to time, but you had to time each track perfectly or it would switch to the next channel. The trick was to keep the recording level down enough to where you didn't have distortion.

2. Mr D

Mr D Forum Resident

Random 8-Track memories.

Growing up in the 70's, most everyone I knew from neighbors, family and friends had 8-track. Some had vinyl. No one had cassette.

I loved the 8-track and thought the design was cool. I loved the different catridge colors and different label designs the various record companies would use, black stickers on cream catridges, wrap-around labels, etc.

I got my first player in 5th grade for Christmas 1976, a portable GE model similar to a loudmouth.

School trips on the bus, parties, campouts, etc always came with portable music. Someone brought the player, others brought tapes, and usually a couple guys brought extra batteries.

With a summer job after 8th grade, 1980, I got my first "stereo" system, a self contained Emerson unit with 8-track and record player from Walmart. All in one big box including speakers. I still have both in storage.

With my 16th birthday fast approaching, I asked for an 8-track in dash Kraco unit for Christmas 1981. I had great fear of turning 16 and driving around with nothing but AM radio. I installed this thing myself in the middle of winter in my my father's Chevy pickup. To this day I'm amazed I figured it out and that my Dad let me do it.

I also could fix 8-track tapes that broke or became tangled in the player by cracking the cases open and rewinding the tape. I never threw any away.

One Friday night of cruising and partying, I lost a full case of my best tapes. 12 tapes that I didn't discover missing until the next morning. I don't know if they were stolen or simply fell out of the vehicle somehow. I was devastated.

Around this same time, there we rumours that the 8-track was dying and would soon stop production. I hypothesized that this was impossible as A) There were millions who owned 8-track stereos and B) those same millions would continue to by tapes. Guess I wasn't so smart after all.

By summer of '83, I had my own car, a 1980 Monte Carlo that came with a factory AM radio with 8-track. I thought that was the dumbest thing ever and quickly replaced it with an FM Cassette deck.

I foolishly sold my 8-tracks on garage sales for 25-50 cents. I only kept a couple, Ted Nugent Double Live Gonzo and Billy Squier the Stroke.

3. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Same with me.....I love the nice colours,etc.......... Its amazing how they work!!! (When ya look inside a cartridge)

4. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

In addition to some "all in one" stereos, I had a pretty cool GE "Bigmouth" portable 8-track unit in the late 70's that was pretty cool. For the life of me, I can't remember what happened to it.

dalem5467 likes this.
  5. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

On record store day, one of the record stores I visited had a free bin of stuff you could take if you made a purchase. In that bin was a Craig 3307, all in original packaging. I figured why not! I don’t know if it’s ever been used, might honestly still be new in the package. If not, it was well cared for.

Stupidly, I forgot to get an 8 track cart to actually test it out before I left. I’m actually not even entirely sure if they even have 8 tracks in the store. I honestly don’t even know where to begin looking for one. Tried 2 thrift shops over the weekend, no such luck. So, I shall wait... maybe if I return soon I can ask if they’ve got any.

snowman872 likes this.
  6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

Sadly, most thrifts have been throwing out the 8 tracks that come their way. I haven't seen one in a thrift for quite a while.

If you use Facebook, there are several groups that specialize in 8 track buying, selling and collecting. Might be worth a try.

snowman872 likes this.
  7. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Ebay is your friend :)

8. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Discogs is a good source as well. I rarely find 8 tracks at thrifts or garage sales anymore. Some record stores are asking $5 or more for decent Rock titles. You can still get lucky and find a nice batch at a great price once in awhile. But that hasn't happened to me in a long time.

9. Mr D

Mr D Forum Resident

That's it. Still have mine but have not tried to play it for years.

snowman872 likes this.
  10. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

A lot of times artists would lengthen a song to fit the space requirements.

They were fun in the car.

Reverse feature would have been nice.

11. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

They were horrible in 70s so nothing changed.

The hiss was unbearable.

They also had a history of being eaten by the player no matter how clean the heads were.

12. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

What hiss????

I dont hear ANY HISS on any of mine thankfully and NONE OF THEM HAVE DOLBY CRAP!!

Im sorry yours had hiss :(

13. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

My Akai GXR-82D extracts just about everything that an 8 track tape is capable of. Makes some pretty decent recordings and playback is as good as it gets for the format.

14. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

The Arc thriftstore by me has 8-tracks still.

Dude111 likes this.
  15. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

Interesting, fellow Littletonite! Haven't seen any at the ARC on Bowles and Flower, you shopping a different one? Or don't want to reveal the honeyhole?:shh:

16. Waynefi

Waynefi Confused over the confusion ?

Well in comparison back in the day, they sounded pretty damn good in my 66 Impala and 68 Cutlass both convertibles of course. 6x9 Jensen's sitting in cabinets on my backseat !!!
    Not to mention the fake alligator suite case for carrying them. All from Tokyo Shapiro in Cleveland. Life was simpler than . :pineapple:

clhboa likes this.
  17. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

It's on Bowles, across the street from Southwest Plaza mall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.