80 Min CDR Issue!! Please Help...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stereoguy, Dec 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo! Thread Starter

Guys,

Maybe someone can help me with an idea,

Basically, I'm trying to burn a Cd with 29 tracks on it. I'm using an 80 min CDR. I'm using XP CD Burner.

However...the Cd will not burn because the time is just over the limit, by about 40 seconds.

While I could simply cut one track out, I dont really want to do that, as iit would make the compilation incomplete.

Would changing the burner program maybe work?

Any ideas at all?

Many thanks,
    Stereoguy

2. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

3. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

You could get creative and do some editing of the tracks?
    Anything with fade outs in particular, could be cut a bit shorter.

4. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

I use NCH software that allows you to edit music tracks. I use it regularly and it is handy. You can do cuts and fade ins and outs to trim tracks.

john morris likes this.
  5. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

Great little software but it will work with varying degrees of success with burners. And over burning can damage a burner. I have seen it happen. Good software though.

SOONERFAN and Deano6 like this.
  6. john morris

Love that NCH software. Try the over burn software on one disk. But be forewarned over burning can destroy your burner. I would read the reviews first. Older burners may not react so well. It uses the extra space reserved for graphics and text and whatnot. But audio was never meant to go there. And some CD players may have an issue with a 83 minute disk. Although in my professional opinion 83 minutes using the right program shouldn't be an issue. Now trying to over burn 90 minutes is another matter. Many optical drives have problems reading longer 78+ disks.

Let us know how it turns out.

O.k. honesty time. Our studio put out an album by a new artist whose CD with bonus tracks came to 85:43 minutes long. I am guilty as charged.

7. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Unless you must have the tracks in the standard CD format, some options are (provided you have the ability to play them):
    • Burn the tracks to the disc in the FLAC format. You would be able to fit the entire album on one CD with space to spare and with the same sound quality as the CD original and it would still be gapless and also have the advantage of being able to include metadata.
    • If a lossy format is an option, convert the files to MP3 (at a bit rate of 320kbps with LAME encoding). Depending on where you are going to play them and your hearing you might not notice the difference between the CD original and a lossy file at that bitrate. As an example, in a car that would be adequate for me.
    I hope this help.

macster, Karnak and BruceS like this.
  8. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

YMMV. Personally have never had a problem. One thing I can say, the quality of cdrs nowadays is horrendous.

john morris likes this.
  9. john morris

Ahhh! Don't get me started on that. Ahhhhhh!!
    But the silver and gold disks are good. Some advice.....stop buring compact disks....works real good..LOL

No seriously (23 Stone ex-audio engineer here), you can buy professional banks. Go down to your local Sweetwater or Long &.Mcquad . They will be $2.50 to $5 each. Hey! Quality costs. You know Long & Mcquad still sells ADAT tapes and other assorted dead media.

You think you have problem? Our studio (where I used to work) has a automated SSL4098 G / G+ mixing board. It uses 3.5 Floopy disks to store automation data. Where the unholy fudge am I supposed to get 3.5 inch floppy disks in 2019?

chilinvilin and JimmyCool like this.
  10. Solitaire1

I haven't had trouble when burning CD-Rs but I only purchase name-brand CD-Rs. I also burn them at the slowest possible speed to avoid potential issues.

11. john morris

But a FLAC CD would only play in a normal CD player. Surely the member wants a normal PCM CD. Or am I wrong here?

12. harby

harby Forum Resident

Space is not "reserved for graphics and text" at the end of the disc.

CD-TEXT and the graphics of CD+G (karaoke) are stored in subchannels - extra low bitrate data, alongside the audio, that also has information like timecode and copyright bits.

Non-user data is stored in areas called lead-in and lead-out, another three or four minutes of groove before and after audio. This data is simply the table-of-contents and area to ensure proper laser signal acquisition before audio.

A CD-R blank has a signal encoded in a groove wobble (which normal CD doesn't have) called ATIP, that tells the burner where it's pickup is located and how fast it is spinning, etc. There is an absolute end of the groove, but it is longer than the capacity declared by data stored about the blank media in the ATIP header, because there is additional arbitrary groove length reserved for lead-out. You can write audio into the lead-out area, and write as long as you don't physically run out of groove and wobble (and still write some compliant lead-out), which is something that can only be discovered experimentally. "Overburn" simply tells the player to ignore the capacity the manufacturer has indicated.

[​IMG]

You can see above the indicated capacity, and plan for that in your single-track audio file that you construct along with a cue sheet for a disc-at-once burn. Software that composes the disc on-the-fly, or worse, burns track-at-once, can waste capacity, putting non-audio data between the tracks and writing arbitrary indexes.

Some Plextor burners with Gigarec/Varirec technology, along with the supported software (best in Windows XP or before), allow you to slow down the disc RPM while burning, moving the bits closer together in the groove for more length (or alternately making easier-to-read discs), which can still play back in most normal players.

[​IMG]

Also, few will notice if you need to speed the whole thing up to A=442Hz, to gain 24 seconds.

13. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

I love burning comp discs. Now does anyone know where I can get Music cdrs for my old Philips stand alone burner. It only works with the discs with the blue/green dye. Slow speed. Anything over 16x it will not recognize. By the way, I love in the boonies. There's nowhere to buy any type of recent cdr s around here. I have to order everything.

14. john morris

Thank you. I heard that text / graphic thing from someone and found that it made no sense. Not a tech guy. If the studio mixer broke down or the Sony 3348 HR then we have to call someone.

But it's good that someone can go online, find out the information and copy/ paste it here. What a wonderful age we live in. Still, I avoid the copying/ pasting of information unless I really understand what I have read. 95 % of what I post is from memory.

Yes the lead in. So how much can you get max. We got some plant to get us almost 85 minutes. Some say they have down 90 minutes. You seem to have a good grasp of the material so what is the max?.. Why would the CD need 4 minutes or more of led in time?

15. Solitaire1

That's why I mentioned those as an option unless the CD must be in the standard CD format, a Red Book CD. A CD with burned FLAC files wouldn't play in a standard CD player.

john morris likes this.
  16. john morris

Sure no problem..Amazon. Too bad. Pro burners can burn any disk but you don't have one of those.

17. john morris

I have never sped up a client's music to fit on one CD. O.k..I give. I once sped up a client 's album master by 1.3 % to get it too fit. 79:59.

18. john morris

I need to add - Excellent post.. I actually learned some stuff.

19. Solitaire1

harby wrote the following as part of a post:

I discovered graphics like this with my Philips CD-i player. I had a CD by The Firesign Theatre named Eat Or Be Eaten. I played the CD on my CD-i player and a slide show appeared on my TV in time with the audio on the disc. The graphic quality of the images was about the level of a Playstation which was fine for photos and other still images. I later discovered others CDs with graphics like Fleetwood Mac's Behind The Mask, Information Society, and Laura Branigan which featured still pictures with running lyrics at the bottom of the screen. It was an interesting feature that I wish had been used more, it would have been a great replacement for album art and liner notes.

20. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

I like the idea of that, but it would not change the actual time of the track. I'm also thinking that 40 seconds is actually quite a bit more than "just over." The OP would have to either edit some tracks or delete one, given that he requires Red Book format.

21. john morris

In the studio our pro burners work in real time. All of the burners in the Tascsm: DP-02, DP-24 and DP-32 burn only at twice speed. But I tell people do not burn more than 8x speed. Use 4x if you have it. Why are people in such a rush? 20 minutes is fast enough (4x speed).

A kid told me his CDS had clicks and.pops in them. Apparently he was burning them at 52× speed!

22. john morris

CD TEXT is a thing too. I used to have some Nero burning software that could put CD TEXT On disks. At the time my Acram CD player had CD TEXT. Nice to have the titles of songs scroll across the screen.

23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Unless NCH has cleaned up their software and their convoluted installation software, I refuse to let it near any of the Windows PC machines at work, the few left that is.

24. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

Red Book pretty much means 79:59 max, no? In theory 80, but I'm not sure that is true in reality. In any case. 40 seconds is significantly over. You'd have to edit one way or another. It's almost ironic that minidisc (remember that?) would go to 80:59 in its original format. When I was using MD, that was a big help!

john morris likes this.
  25. john morris

18 years mixing /mastering audio but not a tech guy. So is a overburn CD not a RED BOOK CD? The MFSL single disk version of QUADROPHENIA runs way over 80 minutes. Anyone know? I been asked questions like this on job interviews. Bizzare he?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.