80s hits that don't sound like they were produced in the 80s

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sgtmono, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Maybe I'm being Captain Obvious but you know that IS Joe Walsh right?

2. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Graham Parker-Get Started, Start A Fire

Melissa Etheridge- Like The Way I Do (So timeless it was re-released in 1994)

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Amy Grant's single "Lead Me On" which peaked at #96 on the Hot 100 but topped the CCM charts (and the rest of the album), is a timeless recording that to me does not sound like it came out in 1988, While "Find a Way" and everything else from Unguarded for that matter does sound like it came out in 1985, no doubt about it. The whole "Age To Age" album could have came out at any time.

4. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

The Proclaimers- I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)

5. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

New Order - Blue Monday
    Killing Joke - Love is like Blood
    Siouxsie and the Banshees - Christine
    Fairground Attraction - Perfect
    The Cure - Why Can't I be Yours, Lullaby, Lets go to Bed
    the Bureau - Only For Sheep
    Fischer Z - So Long

plenty of others

6. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

I can't think of any decade those could have been recorded in other than the 80's.

7. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Really.
    These were not typical of popular over produced 80's commercial music. These were certainly new and leading edge in the 80's and never been heard before. Unlike a lot of the over produced American stuff, this does not sound dated. This sound has inspired many similar in the 90's and onwards

8. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

"Why Can't I Be You" featured the Roland JX-8P, a quintessential 80's synth. "Blue Monday" featured the Linn-LM-1, a quintessential 80's drum machine.

9. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

Most R.E.M. and Smiths hits don't sound very 80's to me.

10. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Not "Rock This Town", the snare drum production on that is totally 80s. I'll bet it's gated.

11. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

I know it was 1990, but The Replacements' "All Shook Down".

12. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I remember reading that R.E.M. purposely avoided the 80s drum sound, at least on the first couple albums.

theMess and Grunherz54 like this.
  13. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

i can only think of one:

"Don't Worry, Be Happy" - Bobby McFerrin

all vocals. barely any effects on the mix. nothing to give away the era in which it was produced. and it qualifies...it was a HUGE hit.

i think most of what was happening in the underground sounds pretty timeless...the Minutemen, Husker Du, etc.
    it's easy to bemoan the production on that nascent American indie stuff, until you realize how pure it sounds next to the ridiculous sheen of everything that was on the radio during the decade. if you want an example of this within the same band, listen to the first Bangles EP, then listen to "Manic Monday."

Rodz42, theMess and applejam101 like this.
  14. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

go figure that it would blow up in the '90s. it was recorded in 1988, right. at least as far as the U.S. was concerned, this was a big '90s tune from "Benny and Joon."

krock2009 likes this.
  15. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

As I mentioned, that and Melissa Etheridge's "Like The Way I Do" were big hits in the 90's despite being released in 1988.

I'd like to add The Primitives "Crash".

IpseDixit likes this.
  16. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

(Just Like) Starting Over by John Lennon. Music would never be the same again :cry:

theMess and applejam101 like this.
  17. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

"I Don't Want a Lover" by Texas (#8 UK)
    "Nothing Ever Happens" by Del Amitri (#11 UK)

theMess likes this.
  18. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident

i actually am very fond indeed of the "80's Sound" now do feel quite free to ban my non-Audiophile ass clean off, y'all...

19. JimC

JimC Senior Member

Yep, the keyboards are the rub. The Billy Joel is a good call.

20. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

Definitely The Longest Time and Uptown Girl hit me as sounding like old records at the time. I think I thought Uptown Girl was an old Four Seasons record first time I heard it. Probably on AM radio.

Now we are all more educated about sound and retro has been done successfully and unsuccessfully in so many ways it is easier to pick the sonic signatures on how, where and when something was recorded.

It sure is fun when you get fooled, though.

21. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I think that's the only Petty hit in the 1980s that sounded of its time, but thank Dave Stewart for that.

theMess likes this.
  22. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I hated the stereotypical 1980s production sound back in the 1980s. (I graduated high school in 1985.) I remember bemoaning it to my friends when having to listen to it driving in a car with them. I cited many of the elements mentioned in this thread, although I probably didn't articulate them that well.

The usual response:

"What are you talking about?"

Today, I like a little retro 80s stuff, in a "guilty pleasure" kind of way. But at the time, that hollow, hypnotic, gated drum sound drove me up the wall and I got beyond sick of it real fast.

23. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Didn't list it because most Americans never heard it.

24. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

What?? I liked that album when it came out, but man, the entirety of Love Stinks just announces itself as a product that could only have come out that decade. In fact, the drums that open the title track of that album, are pretty much the first time I ever heard that big, whooshing, cavernous sound on a hit record. I don't remember that sound on any 1970's recording. Am I right?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  25. MiracleAndWonder

MiracleAndWonder Well-Known Member

some of the late 80's singer-songwriter female hits like Suzanne Vega's "Luka" or Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car" could've been released in 1993 and still felt at home, despite the radical shift in tastes during the years since those songs hit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.