80s hits that don't sound like they were produced in the 80s

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sgtmono, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiracleAndWonder

MiracleAndWonder Well-Known Member

While some of their singles do feel 80s, I remember listening to "Everything" awhile back and thinking how they called it a day too quickly. A lot of the non-single tracks on that album were really not much different than some of the female stuff getting played on alternative stations circa 1994-1995 (Juliana Hatfield, Belly, etc...). Makes me wonder if they would've been able to make the "transition" into the 90s had they not imploded like they did, and not reform until it was more a nostalgic thing. Susanna Hoffs' collaborations with Matthew Sweet kinda adds credence to that mentality as well.

2. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

These albums weren't big hits, but I don't think The Waterboy's masterpiece, This is the Sea, or the recently expanded Workbook, by Bob Mould sound very '80's at all. I'd almost forgot how brilliant Workbook is-- and how fresh still sounds.

margaritatoldtom and IpseDixit like this.
  3. MiracleAndWonder

You could offer up the whole An Innocent Man album really. Outside of maybe Keeping The Faith, almost all of the songs on the album sound genuinely timeless and could've been done 20 years earlier. I remember when oldies stations actually added Uptown Girl, The Longest Time, Tell Her About It to their playlist quite some time before they added more "typical" 80s hit songs, because those songs actually still played well even when the oldies stations were mostly focused on 60s and early 70s..

Cozzie likes this.
  4. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Joe Jackson-You Can't Get What You Want ('Til You Know What You Want), Breaking Us In Two.

margaritatoldtom likes this.
  5. reeltime

reeltime Forum Resident

Let Love Rule by Lenny Kravitz

6. Expert Textpert

Expert Textpert Well-Known Member

U2 may get a lot of flack for the Rattle and Hum, but it has barely any trace of the 80's.

7. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

We seem to really be stretching the definition of a "big hit."

8. MiracleAndWonder

true, some of it was a throwback, and some of it actually was a bit of a hint of what would come with Achtung (God Part II being the most obvious one, even Desire could've been on AB without sounding too out of place).

Expert Textpert and krock2009 like this.
  9. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Suzanne vega's first album
    Donal Fagen. The nightfly
    Roxy music. Avalon. Slick production but not 80s sound
    What I have heard of Sonic youth
    Van morrison

Rodz42 likes this.
  10. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Some of Paul Simon's "Graceland" is timeless.

theMess likes this.
  11. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Warren Zevon- Bad Luck Streak In Dancing School, The Envoy, parts of Sentimental Hygiene.

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Not as much as we're stretching the idea of "don't sound like they were produced in the 80s"! :D

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm a big fan of Tracy Ullman's 1984 song "They Don't Know," which sounds like the biggest 1965 Lesley Gore hit she never had:

theMess, IpseDixit and Laineycrusoe like this.
  14. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Actually recorded in 1978 or '79 I believe.

15. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I’ve never heard of Love Stinks so can’t comment and the reference is lost on me. Freeze Frame IS “80’s” so reminds me of the 80’s, however, it came out in UK when everything was synth pop, new wave, reggae, ska and the punk hang over. IMO it doesn’t fit well (maybe synth pop at a push) with any of those categories. I don’t think the drums have what I think of when I think of 80’s either so, to me, it doesn’t have that "80’s" sound. Having said all that I’m not sure what other decade that it could be from?o_O

Maybe to someone who has knowledge of the J. Geils Band’s history could hear a change in their direction, however, I don’t know anything about them other than this one album!

16. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

"Stand By Me" by Ben E. King - same reason as "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong; it was a 1960s recording re-popularized in the 1980s
    "Twist and Shout" by the Beatles - a Top 40 hit in 1986; another re-release from the 1960s
    "Funkytown" by Lipps, Inc. - from 1980, sounds like it should have been from the height of disco in the 1977-78 era
    "Let Me Be Your Angel" by Stacy Lattisaw - 1980
    "Seven Bridges Road" by Eagles - 1980
    "Same Old Lang Syne" by Dan Fogelberg -1980-81
    "Queen of Hearts" by Juice Newton - 1981, almost a carbon copy of Dave Edmunds' original
    "Start Me Up" by the Rolling Stones - 1981
    "Being with You" by Smokey Robinson - 1981
    "At This Moment" by Billy Vera and the Beaters - 1981/1986-87
    "A Penny for Your Thoughts" by Tavares - 1982
    perhaps "Everyday I Write the Book" by Elvis Costello - 1983
    perhaps "Saving All My Love for You" by Whitney Houston - 1985
    perhaps "Sweet Love" by Anita Baker - 1986
    perhaps "I Miss You" by Klymaxx - 1986

theMess likes this.
  17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Well, keeping with the "produced" rule, they sound very much like the 80s to me.

18. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

The Stranglers - "Golden Brown" - Sounds 60's to me -Great record.

theMess likes this.
  19. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

The Jam - Start!

theMess likes this.
  20. ganma

ganma Senior Member

The Pogues & Kirsty McColl — Fairytale Of New York

Limopard and applejam101 like this.
  21. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

Great song...Written by the late great Kirsty Maccoll. God I miss her.

theMess likes this.
  22. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by that. Are you saying you forgot about/haven't heard the song or do you mean it doesn't count because it wasn't a hit in the US? The song was a big hit in the UK, Ireland, Belgium and the Netherlands and most people in these countries will know it, so it's perfectly valid. It's probably even The Stranglers' most recognised song (and in all honesty it's the only song I know by them, or at least by name).
    I could be misinterpreting what you said, but if it's the latter reason you meant, that's a strange mindset to have.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  23. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

Board is not all about Americans mate.
    If its a hit in my country, its good enough for me. The op didn't specify anyhow.
    In fact, if a song is a hit in Britain, one can almost guarantee its sold more than it would have done had it just been a hit in the good ole USA, because its likely to be a hit around the world.

Turntable likes this.
  24. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I doubt that. Record sales are exponentially greater in the US than in the UK (obviously due to population size). The top selling album in the UK has sold 6 million while the top selling album in the US has sold 29 million. And record sales of English speaking music are greater in the UK than any other country. A big hit only in the US could easily sell more than a hit everywhere but the US.

25. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Wasn't The Nightfly recorded in digital?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.