80's Music Fans Question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by parman, Oct 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Used all three to some degree, but basically agree with this. Got my first CD player in early 1986, so the decade was pretty evenly split. And that's why to this day I still have Dylan's "Biograph" on vinyl and CD.

2. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Vinyl until 1984 and then both vinyl and CD. I recorded both to cassette for the car.

3. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

I used all three to some extent in the 80's. In the early 80's, it was vinyl and even 8-Tracks, then around 1982 I started buying pre-recorded cassettes and blank ones to make mixtapes. I got a CD player on my 21st birthday in 1988 and bought about 30 CD's by the time the decade was over. I was still buying and listening to cassettes (especially cassette singles, which I used to collect) until about the mid-90's.

4. power popper

power popper Forum Resident

This is nearly identical to my personal chronology. Primarily, though, because I carried my music with me everywhere in the '80s, the easiest way to do that at the time was on cassette.

thecdguy likes this.
  5. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

Was mainly vinyl from 1980-85, but then got a CD player for Xmas '85 and I was all about CDs from that moment forward. Still bought many 7" singles in the mid-late '80s because I collected them and because they often had single mixes. I did buy some cassettes, particularly in the mid '80s when labels started making the shells and cases transparent.

6. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Well...TBH, Radio
    Till 86 didn't have CD so vinyl...but I'm still listening to 80s music!

7. Nick Drake fan

Nick Drake fan Forum Resident

From 1980-86, it was vinyl and cassettes. Then around '87 I started with CDs and gradually phased-out the vinyl and cassettes.

8. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

It was cassette mainly. I did have a few records though. I didn't get a CD player until Christmas Day 1988.

9. davers

davers Forum Resident

It was a decade of transition into a new format (CD). So, all three.

parman likes this.
  10. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Cassettes mostly, until I bought my first CD which was Girls Girls Girls by Motley Crue in 1987.

11. limoges

limoges Forum Resident

Mostly vinyl and some cassettes. Didn't get a CD player until '89, and I only had a handful of CDs for a while.

12. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

It was about 60/40 between cassettes and vinyl. I defaulted to cassettes. I only bought a few CDs starting in 1987, but I mostly waited until the prices came down.

When my Boingo Alive cassette started squealing from sticky shed syndrome in 1995, I gave up on cassettes for good.

13. ascot

ascot Senior Member

It was all three for me. Vinyl and CD's at home, cassettes away from home.

14. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

Other, MTV. I was a kid and that's how I got my music in the 80's. That was all the music I needed then. My other hobbies at the time were playing, watching TV and the dreaded(here) video games. I didn't start listening to the radio and exploring music more deeply until the 90's when I became a teenager.

15. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

vinyl - throughout the 80's, only packed my turntable away in the beginning of 90's (for good)
    cassette - up until the late 80's
    CD - from 1987 onwards

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The best years we're on vinyl till 1987.

17. qJulia

qJulia Forum Resident

I have been listening to CDs most of time.

18. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Vinyl...up until 1985 or so. Slim pickins after that...then it's CDs.

19. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

The top 5 for me, in order:

1 Cassettes
    2 45s
    3 LPs
    4 CDs
    5 Cassingles

It's not that I had an inexplicable preference for cassettes as a format, but CDs were too expensive for me then. And I would usually choose tapes over vinyl because I could listen to them on my Walkman.

20. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Listened to music on vinyl & recorded cassettes off the radio.

Darryl

21. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Lots and lots of vinyl, mostly due to what I heard on the radio.
    Then, cassettes.
    Cds weren't even on my musical radar yet, as they were the most expensive choice of the three.

22. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Bought a lot of cassettes, but also albums. Spent too much time making mix tapes, getting the levels right, then leaving them in the car in the Texas heat; when I tried to play them they would sometimes make a gurgling sound and unravel in my car's cassette player.

Lonecat likes this.
  23. Lonecat

Lonecat King Of Fools

I was primarily cassettes, although I had some vinyl and got a cd player in 1987, I liked being able to listen to my music in the car, immediately, so I foolishly bought hundreds of cassettes. I've digitized a bunch of those old tapes recently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.