80's sitcom "Day By Day" - Brady Bunch episode

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michelle66, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Back in 1989, the short-lived sitcom "Day By Day" ran A Very Brady Episode.

The storyline has teenager (and hardcore Brady Bunch fan) "Ross Harper", falling asleep and dreaming that he was the 4th Brady boy - Chuck Brady.

The episode features six of the original BB cast members, including a very pregnant Maureen McCormick!

My VCR malfunctioned the night the show was rebroadcast, so I was unable to save a copy of this funny show.

However, i just discovered that the entire episode is currently up at YouTube.
    http://youtu.be/gapSLY5Fxbo

There are tons of great bits that fans of the Brady Bunch are sure to enjoy, so I won't spoil them here. (But I need to mention that the memory of Ross playing "air bass" to the Brady Bunch theme is something that has made me smile for the past 20+ years! :laugh:)

Also, the actor who played Ross (Christopher Daniel Barnes), must have struck a nerve with someone somewhere with his "Chuck Brady", as he was later cast as Greg Brady in the two BB features.

Hep Alien and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  2. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Thanks for posting this. Interestingly, Susan Olsen's picture was replaced in the opening brady credits. Wonderful to see most of the Brady's together again.. I watched the entire episode. It was a great way to start the new year! I miss Mr. Brady :(

3. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Somewhere in my bunch of old VHS tapes I have this show. I loved it then & I still love it now! It is hilarious!!! This should have been an extra on the Brady Bunch series DVD box set. I intended to watch a minute or two but wound up watching the whole thing. Thanks for posting! Now excuse me while I have my 34th cup of coffee.

4. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member Thread Starter

I also noticed Susan Olsen being AWOL in the opening credits. (And does her replacement actually have "hair of gold"? Looks kind of dark to me...)

It's weird how at least one of the Brady Bunch cast members declined to appear in most of the post-classic-series revivals:

The Brady Bunch Variety Hour (series 1976-1977) - Eve Plumb replaced by Geri Reischl.
    The Brady Girls Get Married (TV movie - 1981) - All original members present.
    The Brady Brides (series - 1981) - Only Maureen McCormick, Eve Plumb, Florence Henderson, and Ann B. Davis appeared here.
    A Very Brady Christmas (TV movie - 1988) - Susan Olsen replaced by Jennifer Runyon.
    The Bradys (series - 1990) - Maureen McCormick replaced by Leah Ayres.

I also find it interesting how Robert Reed - who didn't like the way the original series was written, and who tended to fight with the producers - appeared in just about every revival. (Which is fine with me because I love dad Brady!)

Hep Alien and somnar like this.
  5. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I don't know why they have "reality" shows on when all they have to do is put "The Brady Bunch" episodes back on. Every episode dealt with true reality involving real people with real issues. My goodness ladies & gentlemen of the forum! Where did we lose our way???

6. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

LMFAO, that was hillarious.

It's a shame that the actual Brady Bunch programme sucked so bad.

7. shane

shane Active Member

I remember that show and that episode specifically. Courtney Thorne Smith was on that show if I remember correctly. That episode specifically has one of my favorite TV lines of all time. In reference to the Brady's bikes "We don't ride 'em. We just fix 'em"

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Also on that show a post-SNL and pre-Seinfeld Julia Louis-Dreyfuss

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Being the fan of trivia and strange connections that I am, this is the one thing I distinctly remembered from this show. Didn't know that Julia Louis Dreyfus and Thora Birch had been on this show as well.

10. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

I taped this episode at the time and loved it. I always thought this was the impetus for the Brady feature films.

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Ah! I really liked this show and always LOVED this episode! Very clever self-aware pop culture humor, ahead of its time I think.

Thanks for posting the link, I'll have to watch it after work today. :righton:

dan c

12. Clark Kauffman

Clark Kauffman Forum Resident

Anyone remember the VH-1 documentary on The Brady Bunch that was done in the style of Ken Burns' "The Civil War" series? It was hilarious. They had faux Brady historians ("As Americans, we're all the middle child. We are all Jan.") and psychiatrists along with the requisite Burns-style sound effects, editing and voice-overs...I think I still have it on VHS.

13. Mark Nelson

THE BRADYS: AN AMERICAN CHRONICLE. I have this on tape...I think it was a Nick-at-Nite production, shown along with some of the rare BRADY KIDS cartoons and some VARIETY HOUR episodes during a week-long marathon of all things Brady. I think this was done to promote the channel getting the rights to show the original series?

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. Clark Kauffman

Clark Kauffman Forum Resident

Yes, that's exactly right. You remembered this much better than I. I taped the "American Chronicle" 'documentary' it was so funny, as well as the variety-show episode that aired right after. That variety show has to rank as one of the worst TV shows of all time. It was unspeakably bad. As I recall there was a musical bit involving the Bradys in clown make-up, in a swimming pool, and surrounded by fire. Such stuff as nightmares are made on...

15. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I used to love that show, mostly due to Courtney Thorne-Smith.

16. Benjamin Edge

Benjamin Edge Forum Resident

I wish this series would make it on to DVD, at least this one episode.

~Ben

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  17. Mark Nelson

Seemed like that episode would have been a great extra on one of the BRADY BUNCH DVD season sets.

18. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I also liked the episode of "Free Spirit" where Robert Reed & Florence Henderson appeared.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.