'80s Songs that Don't Sound Like the '80s

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bek0727, Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Well that's the point of the thread. The artists that did not have the contemporary 80's sounds were the ones that did not want to sound contemporary & wanted to sound retro.
    Unfortunately the desires of many artists were overuled by the record label &/ or the producer & the contemporary sound was forced upon them.

2. keyse1

keyse1 Forum Resident

The dislike for the 80’s I think is the dominance of awful music
    A lot of great records were made but you would seldom if ever hear them on commercial radio or tv and remain largely unheard today
    About 10 of the best ever records by Australian bands were released in the 80’s by
    Triffids Go Betweens And Steven Cummings all records I still play but they remain largely unheard other than by fanatics
    Leonard Cohen and Van Morrison releaseed 2 of my favourite records of theirs
    And the almost almost criminally ignored brilliance of Mink deVille’s Le Chat Bleu
    Dexys Midnight Runners Another ignored band
    And then there was The Mekons so unfamous that I missed them till this century and I was big consumer of the back roads of roc n roll

Svetonio likes this.
  3. Kingsley Fats

This is true for every era in music & is especially true in Australia thanks to our appalling radio & TV

4. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Awesome band!

Better late than never! :cool:

5. John54

John54 Senior Member

They may have been posted without attribution but the Stray Cats don't show in a search. So here's my favourite of theirs, Broken Man:

Rhapsody In Red and davers like this.
  6. John54

John54 Senior Member

Another jangly song not representative of the decade is Don't Bury Me Yet by the Raw Herbs:

AlienRendel likes this.
  7. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The Stray Cats immediately popped into my head when I saw the thread title. Then Setzer retrogressed into swing music. Maybe ragtime is next - he seems to be Benjamin Buttoning his way through popular music. (An observation, not a criticism.)

8. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

What's exactly the "Eighties" on Born in the USA the album?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  9. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Any song from Born in the USA, including the title track, could be at Darkness on the Egde of Town the album (1978) too.
    Actually, Bruce Springsteen never made an album in the "Eighties style" (i.e. he never did the same mistake as e.g. The Who with It's Hard the album)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  10. Kingsley Fats

Read post #139 and watch the video on post #140. Both on page 6

IMO Born in the USA would have been much much better without the horrible production especially but not limited to the truly horrible glockenspiel overdubs.

11. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

12. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

The SONG "Born in the USA" doesn't sound 80s to you guys?!

The demo on the box set doesn't...but the studio version...wow!

13. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

14. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

It doesn't. It's Bruce Springsteen' sound, not "Eighties" sound at all.

15. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

If it wasn't for that snare. The song doesn't sound like "Candy's Room", does it?

16. Kingsley Fats

Is this going over your head ?
    Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt

17. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Either you're trolling, or have tin ears, or both.

The digital reverb unit producing the "big snare sound:

Roy Bittan trading in his Hammond B3 for a Yamaha CS80.

Both of those things scream 80s.

18. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

19. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

To be honest, when I hear the intro of "Born in the USA", I think..."Rocky IV soundtrack". And I love Springsteen, but that's how "of its time" it sounds to me (I know, "Rocky IV" is 1986).

krock2009 likes this.
  20. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Robert Palmer-She Makes My Day

Robert commented in an interview that it was "dry as a bone' in terms of its sound, which probably why it flopped as the third single. He could've re-released it in the 90s, and it would've been a hit.

21. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

There are a number of records by the bands and solo artists from the Golden Era that sadly tried to following the Eighties fashion, e.g. already mentioned The Who 's It's Hard the album (but also the half of Face Dances album) Neil Young's Re-ac-tor, Rennaissance's Camera Camera, Yes' 90125, and so on; it could be another thread.

22. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

After making a career comeback with albums that got more 80s with each release, Lou Reed put out the timeless "New York" in 1989.

ARK likes this.
  23. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Technology is always progressing, but technology per se didn't make the "Eighties" sound.

24. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

This song was 6 years old when it was re-released as a double A-Side in 1994. Shows you how timeless Melissa Etheridge's records are.

ARK and keyXVII like this.
  25. jojo getback

jojo getback Forum Resident

Heard this at house party when it first came out and thought , why dont i know this song?-thought it was an oldie

ARK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.