'80s Songs that Don't Sound Like the '80s

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bek0727, Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

2. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

3. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

IGRA STAKLENIH PERLI - Vrt Svetlosti (1980)

IGRA STAKLENIH PERLI Vrt Svetlosti reviews
    Showing all collaborators reviews and last reviews preview | Show all reviews/ratings
    Collaborators/Experts Reviews
    Review by Seyo
    SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] At more decent running time of almost 36 minutes (!), the second album of ISP carries on in the same vein like its predecessor, falling into the predictible "second-album trap". Production is still weak and this LP was even bigger rarity than the debut. The formula was repeated but to a lesser final result. "Igrac" is ambitious and pretentious 10-minute composition with not very good vocals. Much better singing in style of folk/rennaissance is in the title track which is easily the best moment on the album. The remaining instrumentals are nothing exceptional, more like fillers albeit nicely done, with some fusion moments and female vocals. Not essential stuff, but worth hearing in any case! I think that both "Vrt svetlosti" and eponymous debut were reissued in the 1990s on vinyl again (not on CD) by German label Kalemegdan Disk, with allegedly better sound but I could not confirm this. Slightly less than ***, approaching the territory of the "collectors only"!

4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

This Beatfarmers song sounds more like a 70s Elvis Costello ditty.

krock2009 and Kingsley Fats like this.
  5. Kingsley Fats

I bit of wrong & right here.

It DOES sound 80's. bright drums, processed bass & synthy keyboards.
    It DOES sound like a never released Who song.
    I would love to hear this given the full Who treatment 70's style .

I think our friend Svetonio is having issues with unerstanding the premise of the thread & what actually constitutes the "80's sound"

krock2009 and crispi like this.
  6. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

What a nonsense! But I know that guy's reviews. He always unfoundedly criticized, even lied like in this case, about the albums by the bands from Belgrade and favourized the albums by the bands from his Sarajevo; nothing new to me actually, as that rivalry between the Belgrade and Sarajevo rock scene existed way before the Bosnia war in 1990s.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  7. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: This is from 1980, and was a Rodney On The Rock staple:

8. Kingsley Fats

The Aerosmith track sounds like a band that has been listening to Physical Grafitti

9. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

LOL! Please get listen to Sister Disco and Guitar and Pen from Who Are You the album.
    Synths per se doesn't make the "Eighties"; the structure of a song is what make it or not, and the structure of After the Fire the song have nothing to do with the "Eighties".

10. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

11. The Bish

The Bish Forum Resident

Just curious - does your hatred for particular drum or keyboard sounds apply to just the 80’s?

ARK and OptimisticGoat like this.
  12. Kingsley Fats

The exact point where the 80's sound comes in is 0:25.

You're trolling us aren't you !

bek0727 and krock2009 like this.
  13. Kingsley Fats

Can't get more 8o's than a song dedicated to cocaine not to mention the production.

14. Kingsley Fats

John Entwistle Band- Talk Dirty - 80's sound synths at 0:19

15. Kingsley Fats

I'm big on the Beat Farmers & not big on Elvis Costello but I can see (hear) your point

Purple Jim likes this.
  16. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

I'm trolling?
    Do you know what? you actually blame yourself 'cause you didn't remember that Sir Paul McCartney song and therefore you didn't post it here; I understand you, 'cause you're acting like Jack of all trades here, and it is embarrassing for you when you forget something (if you've ever known that song). How sad, isn't?

17. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

18. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

19. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Oh and if I want to trolling you on this thread as Kingslay Fats said, then I would to post this one [this is only for those few who don't know to recognize the genres and epochs of popular music: THIS is a song that was made in the "Eighties" style and yet by an artist that certainly didn't belonged to New Wave, lol] :

Or this one, from the same album which was released almost two years before the album titled Tug of War (1982) from where I've posted beautiful Wunderlust the song and caused a charge for trolling by an "expert" : Paul McCartney - McCartney II: Check My Machine

20. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

ARK likes this.
  21. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Man...that IS really bad, seriously.

krock2009 and Kingsley Fats like this.
  22. Kingsley Fats

You don't undertand the premise of the thread at all do you. The question posed is specific in asking about production techniques not song structures.

bek0727 likes this.
  23. Kingsley Fats

No.

Even in a live setting I much prefer a gig where the band plays without miking the drums. I'm lucky that I regularly see such gigs.

24. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Don't worry, I understood "the premise" very clear.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  25. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Pretty cool sounding record for 1985!

bek0727 and Kingsley Fats like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.