80's UK & US Charts.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I noticed she was a bit 'meh' about 'Purple Rain'.:D That song and album win just about any 80's-based poll you ever see on here.

DesertHermit likes this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Thanks for that backstory to TPC. I'm always fascinated by albums that slipped through the net. By rights, it should have been huge building on the success of the last few singles. Not to be...

Didn't know they'd appeared on TOTP with 'Takin' A Chance On You'... I'm watching the 80's TOTP on BBC4 and it's not been on yet. Mind you, they've scrapped a lot of episodes...

I should add that I'm with Thereza on being a fan of the Rollers. I had their 'Rollin', 'Once Upon A Star' and 'Wouldn't You Like It' albums. Something that won't surprise my detractors on here.:D

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  3. Bobby Morrow

Never heard the Janet & Cliff duet. Have to YouTube that one.:)

EDIT. Just listened to it. Hmm, it really doesn't do either of them any favours. That said, I could imagine it sitting as a solo track on Cliff's 'Silver' LP.

EDIT 2. Just noticed the song was written by Steve Kipner and Peter Beckett, who also wrote Olivia's 'Twist Of Fate'. I'm saying nothing.:D Kipner also co-wrote Olivia's 'Heart Attack' and 'Physical' singles.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    Thom likes this.
  4. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I never knew about the Janet/Cliff song either. The question is: Why?! Who had the idea of pairing Janet Jackson (then 18) and Cliff Richard (44)?! On a track produced by Giorgio Moroder... and penned by Steve Kipner? Did the executive producer just draw names out of a hat? I commend them for their outside-the-box thinking, but wow. :eek:

DesertHermit and Bobby Morrow like this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

There must have been a lot of drugs around at this time.:D

Co-writing 'Physical' didn't half give Stevie Kipner a leg up. He also wrote songs for Sheena Easton and Diana Ross to name but two around this time. He was still penning tracks for people like Christina Aquilera nearly 20 years later.

I have to say that after hearing the duet (as odd as it was) sorta made me want that Janet album.:D

Thom likes this.
  6. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Cliff's hitmaking days in the US had faded by 1984, so he was really no use to Janet from a US point of view. His name wasn't a selling point in 1984 to American fans or Top 40 radio. Perhaps the idea was that he would be a ticket to a UK hit, and that would be a platform for Janet to build upon. If that was the plan, it failed (it peaked at No. 83 in September '84 in the UK and was on and off the chart in 3 weeks). Or more likely perhaps, they thought it would be like a Michael Jackson/Paul McCartney situation...
    That said, I really want the Dream Street album now too. I can't believe I've never looked for it (or even listened to it). Shocking. :o

DesertHermit and Bobby Morrow like this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

'Dream Street' is OOP and pricey if you can find it. I checked.:D

No idea what the thinking was behind the duet... Cliff was still big here, so maybe it was to give Janet a UK hit.

All I can say is that I'm glad Cliff wasn't asked to duet with her on anything from 'Control'.:D

bob60, DesertHermit and Thom like this.
  8. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

:whistle::whistle::whistle::agree::whistle::whistle:
    Did it even ever get a CD release? As I said I only have it on vinyl. It's not great....you have been warned :whistle:. As an interesting, historical artefact however, it does serve some purpose :winkgrin:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  9. Bobby Morrow

There are a few CDs on eBay which I assume are legit.

10. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

I've never heard the Deon Estus album. However, I was listening to the Nick Kamen debut album on Spotify the other day. It's pretty good, though he's not the greatest vocalist. The 2 CD Cherry Red remaster is out next month, so I'll get it, I think.

Thom likes this.
  12. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Yeah, I see Spell didn't chart in the UK and "Heaven Help Me" peaked at No. 41. Not even the George Michael association could sell him in the UK.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

I know the name, and I get that song on SongPop occasionally. I'll have to YouTube it to see if I do have any real recollection of it.:)

Thom likes this.
  14. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

He was the bassist on both Wham! albums and on Faith and LWP. I thought all dedicated George Michael fans would have liked "Heaven Help Me" (particularly as George co-wrote it and it sounds like a George Michael song). :sigh:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  15. Bobby Morrow

I've seen his name on the 'Faith' credits, now you mention it.

What can I say? We're a weird lot over here. You know that already.:D

Thom likes this.
  16. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Yeah, the name 'Deon Estus' just wasn't well known. He should have billed himself as 'Former Wham! and current George Michael bassist Deon Estus [you saw me in the "I'm Your Man" and "Edge Of Heaven" videos!!!]'. Just so people knew who he was.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

Bit of a mouthful, but he might have gotten a couple of hits out of it.:D

Thom likes this.
  18. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

Hi Thom, I never had that album, although I remember it and the single. It was an attempt at charting through reflected glory, but, unlike Pepsi & Shirlie, he just wasn't well known enough for that.

Nick Kamens debut is OK but it's the follow up album that was better, with Tell Me on. Great record. He also co-wrote his main European hit, I Promised Myself, which was the best thing he did.

Thom likes this.
  19. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

I quite like that album. He was the opening act on George's 1988 US Faith tour, and then played in George's band for the rest of the show! The first single was "Me Or The Rumours." "Heaven Help Me" was a big hit here, although many months later in 1989. The title track ("Spell") is a wonderful pop song as well, and I also like "Blue Envelope."

Adult Contemporary stations in my hometown of Cleveland, Ohio used to do "Two for Tuesdays" where they'd (obviously) play 2 songs in a row from artists. I used to get bothered when they'd play "Heaven Help Me" (with George singing on the chorus) followed by a George song. I always wanted them to play another Deon Estus song!

Thom and Bobby Morrow like this.
  20. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Thanks to @DesertHermit and @Alan1074 I bought the I Wanna Have Some Fun CD today. I'm almost certain I detected a faint look of amusement (or was it a smirk?) from the cool pink haired girl at the counter when she saw what the CD was, but it's possible I was just projecting (she must be 20-25, so how likely is it she would know who Samantha Fox is?) I also bought the 1985 Dream Academy CD... really excited to have that one. I've always loved "Life In A Northern Town" and "The Love Parade", but I've never heard the album. On top of the Nick Kamen, Deon Estus and, uhhh, Michael Damian ( :o ) CDs I've also bought in the past two days, it's been a stellar week for finding 80s pop CDs I never thought I'd find.

Bobby Morrow and DesertHermit like this.
  21. Bobby Morrow

The Nick Kamen CD is quite pricey on eBay. Did you pay much for yours?

22. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

$1 on Trade Me (the NZ equivalent of eBay). So, approximately 40p. Deon Estus was $2 and Where Do We Go From Here by Michael Damian (the guy who had a US No. 1 hit in 1989 with a remake of "Rock On") was $3. All from the one seller who is (or was) selling off his CDs very cheaply (too cheaply?)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  23. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

Hope you enjoy it. I played it the other day. You might want to give the pink haired girl some trivia about pink hair. Ms Fox was doing that at the time IWHSF was released, so she's basically a copycat!!!

I liked Dream Academy. I recorded Love Parade for a project years ago. It's one of the hardest songs ever to sing because there's zero breathing room. Not sure the project was ever finished. Just got the original 12" mix on CD finally.

DesertHermit and Thom like this.
  24. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

Michael Damian is mainly known as an actor here (primarily on a long-running soap opera) but yes, he did see some success with his music as well. The second single from that album was "Cover Of Love," followed by "Was It Nothing At All" which did very well on the Adult Contemporary chart here. He now writes and directs movies with his wife. I'm interested in hearing his first single, a cover of Eric Carmen's "She Did It" (I'm from Cleveland, so Eric's music was a big part of my childhood!)

Thom and Bobby Morrow like this.
  25. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Yeah, I particularly liked "Was It Nothing At All" when it was a hit in 1989. A really nice ballad. I also remember "What A Price To Pay" and "There'll Never Be Another You" off his next album (Dreams Of Summer) too. He was never the world's best vocalist, but I found all his hits (and 'non-hits' like the latter two) completely listenable. I knew (and loved) his "Rock On" before I even knew David Essex's. Now I prefer the David Essex rendition, but Damian's is still fun (and has the nostalgia value). As for his acting, I do remember he was on The Young And The Restless... I'm sure Shadoe Stevens must have mentioned that on AT40. I fully expect the Where Do We Go From Here album to be very 'of its time' (i.e. dated) but that's no bad thing! :D

Surly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.