84th Academy Awards / Oscars thread (2012)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, Jan 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Those are my five picks from the nine nominations also (heck, all five are in my top ten)!

However, the fact a film like The Tree of Life can now make it in is one of the reasons I like having more Picture nominations. If there were only five this year, I strongly suspect The Help (almost certainly) or Moneyball would take Tree's place...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

2. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Yeah it's hard to say. I think The Help was in for sure because it's one of those movies that seems like it probably plays to the Academy's white liberal guilt (not to get too political), much like The Blindside from a year or two ago.

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I liked The Help but wasn't particularly blown away by it. Octavia Spencer really stole the show, though, and deserves to win.

I haven't seen "The Arist" yet because it isn't in 3-D and doesn't feature loud explosions, so naturally my local Regal Cinemas won't show it.

4. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Why no TTSS???

5. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

"TTSS?"

6. Teek

Teek Forum Resident

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

7. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

:laugh:

I really wanted to see it at the theater, I can choose between 7 ones (all multiplex, so we're talking about 60 screens) and no one showed it.:realmad::realmad:

8. Tiny Tim's Sparkling Shoes, don't tell me you didn't see this epic, heartbreaking comedy of political intrigue, the true meaning of Kwaanza, and a boy saving his dog from the wrath of the Elder Gods?

9. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Nice to see Rooney Mara get the nod. I had mixed feelings about the movie, but her performance was riveting (indeed, the movie tended to drag whenever she was off camera).

10. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Glad to see Hugo get so many.

I was hoping Tinker would get best picture nod. If they can nominate 10 why did they just pick 9.

11. skybluestoday

skybluestoday Forum Resident

I'm betting that Hugo will turn out to be this year's Barry Lyndon. Shut out in the prestige categories but cleaning up in the technical categories (costumes, art direction, cinematography, etc.).

12. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I haven't seen Hugo (looking forward to do it) but in the tech categories I think Potter and Transformers will get at least an award each, just because they were so successful in 2011

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

New - complicated - rules. The minimum is 5, the max is 10, but each movie has to pass certain "thresholds" to get the nom...

14. ziggysane

ziggysane Forum Resident

I'm surprised no one mentioned yet that there are only two songs nominated for Best Original Song this year due to what I assume are similar minimums for that category.

15. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I'm always behind in my movie-watching, but, looking at this list, I'd like to see the following:

The Artist
    Moneyball
    The Descendants
    The Tree of Life
    A Separation

and perhaps some of the other foreign nominations, as I hadn't heard of them.

Too bad the Mexican submission for Best Foreign, "Miss Bala," didn't get a nomination. It's a knockout picture.

16. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

If we used that criteria, Crash would've never been nominated, let alone won. Same for A Beautiful Mind. Or Gladiator. or Braveheart. Or Forrest Gump. Or Dances With Wolves. Or Driving Miss Daisy. Or Out of Africa. (I'll stop there.)

Now, these are some of the weakest Best Picture winners. But my point is these films slip in when it's just 5 films, and sometimes win. So expanding the group allows other films to be recognized as well. They might not always be great, but some might be, and there's obviously enough Academy members out there who feel strongly enough about the film to warrant first place votes.

17. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Point taken, but then I don't see how expanding the nominee field helps prevent a weak movie (like most of the ones that you listed) from winning, either. So maybe it doesn't necessarily hurt, but I don't think it helps, either.

So how does the academy voting work, exactly? Does winning only require a plurality of votes and not a majority? Or do the members rank the nominees and then there's a sort of instant "run-off?"

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I didn't know that category only had two noms - I'd not seen the whole list.

Has anyone else commented on the fact this is the first time since the "Best Animated Feature" category was created that a Pixar flick wasn't nominated? The studio's not always won - "Monsters Inc." lost to "Shrek", and "Happy Feet" beat "Cars" - but it's the first year the studio didn't at least get a nominee...

19. I recognize less than half of these movies and even less of the actors. I'm trying to recall the last movie I saw in the theatre's .... No Country for Old Men maybe ?

I've really lost all interest in movies. :(

20. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I'm proud of avoiding all these movies! :laugh:

21. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Well, my understanding is the nomination process, for Best Picture at least, works sort of like baseball's MVP process. All members cast their vote by ranking the films from 1 through t. If a film receives more than 5% of first place votes, it secures a nomination. There cannot be less than 5 or more than 10 total nominees, however. After that, a vote is done on the nominees, with the winner being selected by a simple majority.

22. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Why? :confused:

23. ziggysane

ziggysane Forum Resident

+1. The Academy doesn't always get it right (Crash, snubbing Almost Famous and Sideways, the years that Sean Penn has won over others as a consolation prize vs. the years that he *should* have won, etc) but there are some genuinely great films in there.

24. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Guys, I was being facetious. I guess you missed this thread?

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=269338

25. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Ah, okay. I think you mean that the winner is selected by a plurality, though? Plurality meaning the nominee with the most votes, which doesn't necessarily mean it won a majority of the votes (50% + 1 vote).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.