84th Academy Awards / Oscars thread (2012)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, Jan 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Yep, that's right. My mistake. :righton:

2. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

3. So glad that Melissa McCarthy and the ladies from The Help are nominated. Supporting actress category is tough to pick.

4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Man, I sure hope this is Oldham's year. Clooney will be back later.

5. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Very pleased to see Jonah Hill getting a nomination for Moneyball; when I saw the movie I felt he was very deserving of the award.

I know it won't happen :sigh: but I am going to dream that "Hugo" wins best picture. It needs and deserves the attention.

6. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Cars 2 would be the only eligible film, right? I didn't see it, but it didn't get the kinds of glowing reviews Pixar films typically get.

Edit: Oh, wait....I'm looking at the Wikipedia page for the Award right now. Doesn't look like there were any Pixar films nominated in 2002 or 2005. Nothing was eligible, however.

7. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

An article about this ridiculous development:

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/indu...-some-surprises-only-muppets-1005967352.story

8. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I haven't seen all of the films, but I'd go with Brad Pitt for Moneyball here. I'm really surprised that Ryan Gosling - and George Clooney - didn't get nominations for The Ides of March.

I'm also surprised that Emma Stone didn't get a Supporting Actress nomination for The Help. Even though it probably wasn't the greatest performance, she's the kind of rising young star that typically gets a Supporting Actress nomination. And I don't really understand why Viola Davis is up for "Best Actress," while Octavia Spencer is up for "Best Supporting Actress." In the movie I saw, they were co-leads in an ensemble cast.

9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Albert Brooks was totally robbed. Jonah Hill? Really? :(

10. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Jonah Hill was good in Moneyball. I don't know that he was Oscar-nomination good, but I can't say it's a travesty that he got nominated.

11. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Agreed. He didn't blow me away, but I have no problem with his nomination.

I've heard some people dissatisfied that Patton Oswalt wasn't nominated for Young Adult. I haven't seen the film yet, but there's another example of a comedic actor finally taking a (somewhat) dramatic role and succeeding.

12. upsidedownclowns

upsidedownclowns Active Member

Dang , I haven't seen a single one of those movies.Are they all that bad?

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Glad to see Spielberg at least get a nomination for War Horse. He's not gonna win, but I think the nomination at least is a nice gesture.

My picks on who I predict will win:

Best picture
    The Artist

Actor
    Jean Dujardin, The Artist

Actress
    Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady

Supporting actor
    Max von Sydow Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Supporting actress
    Melissa McCarthy, Bridesmaids

Director
    Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist

Animated feature
    [They all sucked, and it should have gone to Tintin, not nominated.]

Original screenplay
    The Artist

Adapted screenplay
    The Descendants

Best foreign language
    [no idea]

I also hope Hugo will win for best editing (Thelma Schoonmaker), and best Sound Editing and Sound Mixing to War Horse. All of these films are very deserving.

Get back to me on 2/26 and let me know if I got any right. Predicting what the Academy is going to do is always dicey, because they often make some very sentimental yet offbeat choices.

14. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I had never even heard of:

A Cat in Paris
    Chico & Rita
    Rango

A search indicates that the first two films were from 2010. What a joke!

15. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I believe Rango featured Johnny Depp as the voice of an iguana.

16. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

It is a travesty when a great performance like Albert's in Drive is completely overlooked.

17. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I didn't get to see Drive; it didn't make it to Podunk, USA where I live. But I am really surprised to see that Hollywood's hottest leading man, Ryan Gosling, didn't get a nom for Drive or for The Ides of March and Crazy Stupid Love, both of which I did see.

18. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

I hope The Artist doesn't win so many. I didn't like it that much. I've known a few unemployed actors too over the years, but not as many as you. I don't mean to be cruel, but maybe that's influencing your predictions?

I'd vote for Hugo over The Artist in a second. It's better in every way imho.

19. Well, she is kind of the focal point of the film, she does the voiceover narration, so the story is really told from her character's point of view.

20. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I rented it from the Redbox and found it to be delightful. Great animation. Fun story.

21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

You say that like it were a bad thing. ;)

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Emma Stone was the only member of the "Help" cast who should've qualified for Lead Actress - it was essentially her movie, and all the rest were Supporting.

The Davis/Spencer thing reminds me of "Pulp Fiction": Travolta got a Best Actor nom while SL Jackson got Supporting even though they had similar screen time. (In truth, Travolta DID get more screen time, but he still wasn't a "lead actor" any more than SLJ or Bruce Willis...)

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Sorry - I wasn't clear in what I said. I meant to say this is the first time Pixar was snubbed: that had an eligible movie that didn't even get nominated.

Obviously it's not the first time they've not been nominated period, since as you note, they made no movies in 2002 or 2005! :)

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

a Chameleon...:righton:

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I predict THE HELP winning all their nominations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.