90's action! Van Damme or Segal?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Say It Right, Jun 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Although I think he is a complete idiot now I have to vote for Seagal. I have every one of his films up through On Deadly Ground and the two Under Siege films. Nothing worth watching after that.
    I have zero Van Damme. His accent just kills me. I would rather watch Rob Van Dam.

Dude111 and Brenald79 like this.
  2. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Even though it's all fake/choreographed fighting, and I'm a fan of martial arts flicks, I always felt like JCVD was really a fake. There's a few interesting YT/UFC videos where Joe Rogan discusses how SS was actually a bad-ass, where as JCVD wasn't. Another one where JCVD got into the octagon with UFC champion Cody Garbrandt for some promo function. Garbrandt sez he arrived late, acting weird, and when in the ring threw some shots/kicks that were uncalled for. Garbrandt, rightly, laughed it off and ended the session early. Said he was a real jerk. Lucky for VD that Garbrandt was feeling gracious that day, otherwise he would've ripped his head off!

3. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Not a fan of either, but Segal is unbearable so Van Damme by default.

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The best Steven Segal bit was in the original Under Siege where he got locked in a cooler, and asked one of the bad guys to take his pies out of the oven. His character might have been a bad-ass busted down to cook, but damnit, he took the job he was assigned seriously!

Edit to add: Okay, second best bit. The best bit involved a cake.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I didn't like either, but JCVD was more tolerable. Seagal always seemed like a total douche!

eric777 likes this.
  6. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

If I go by the movies, especially the early stuff, I would say Segal made better movies but I think JCVD had better fight scenes. Segal's early movies are almost hilariously violent and very entertaining despite his being a complete a-hole. Bloodsport, Kickboxer, etc. are not good movies, much as I love them, but the mano-a-mano fighting is much better and Van Damme always sells it.

Say It Right and Plan9 like this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

Speaking of better fight scenes, Steven Segal never did anything as awesome as the splits across two kitchen counters:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

didn't JCVD do mixed martial arts early in his life?

9. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

[​IMG]

10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Blasphemy!!!!!!!

:)

It's been ages since I watched Timecop. Segal movies tend to be on TV from time to time but I can't recall the last time a Van Damme movie was on TV, locally.

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Shocking.:D

12. alexpop

The muscles from Brussels any day.

13. Chris DeVoe

Also, I don't think I've ever seen any evidence that Steven Segal has a sense of humor, and JCVD does.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. alexpop

I seen Segal he was in London at a film premiere mid nineties, wearing a brown suede jacket with tassels, looked about 6'5 inches tall. Funnily enough I seen Jennifer Lopez( friendly) a few years later at a premiere( some dumb comedy movie with Ralph Fiennes), same location.. prefer J Lo. :D

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  15. alexpop

Accent ?
    You need subtitles for both of them. :D

16. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

How can you not like (or at least p*** yourself laughing at) fat, bewigged old Steven Segal practise a few Frank Cannon moves on young, tough-looking one dimensional bad guys with vague South American or mittel European accents and all the while mumbling some philosophical crap?

Say It Right and Plan9 like this.
  17. davidb1

davidb1 Forum Resident

Early Segal because of the joint busting moves.

Dude111 likes this.
  18. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Jean-Claude Van Damme was more believable in all his action scenes, whereas Seagal's seemed staged. I mean, when JCVD was kicking ass, I thought he would absolutely do that in real life too against a big baddie. In Seagal's case, I always used to think to myself, "No way. He would get his ass kicked by a real big baddie."

Another '90s martial arts movie star I enjoyed was Don "The Dragon" Wilson. Used to enjoy watching his movies with lots of believable action.

When the '00s came around, it was Jet Li who I enjoyed watching. Too bad he didn't/doesn't do more American films.

(And I've always liked Jackie Chan since the '70s. His action movie from last year was even enjoyable and somewhat believable for someone his age.)

petdevaney and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Jackie and Don the Dragon have a pretty good fight in 'Wheels on Meals' an otherwise forgettable Golden Harvest flick with lots of terrible slapstick and such. Not quite up there with Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris in the Coliseum, but not bad.

20. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Anybody seen Richie!

Dude111, BadJack and Strummergas like this.
  21. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired Thread Starter

That's where his charisma came from, lime the ponytail for Seagal.

22. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Steven Segal if only for "Out For Justice".

Dude111 likes this.
  23. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Segal had the dangerous guy thing down pat. The fight scenes were a little different that what was being done at the time. Van Dang had the movies that like Rocky was all about comebacks and bad guy beat down satisfaction. Both good for the time. Now where’s RICHIE!!

Strummergas likes this.
  24. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I like Kickboxer and I like Under Seige. I don’t know that I’ve seen another Van Damme movie. The only other Segal movie I saw was Under Seige 2: It’s on a Train This Time.

Still, I like those two movies a lot, so . . . they’re tied?

25. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Man you gotta see RICHIE!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.