90s Funk rock/metal suggestions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sadcafe, Jan 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King Thread Starter

I hate defining genres but have just revisited a clutch of albums had a phase of listening to none stop. The likes of Livng Colour, Ealy Red Hot Chili Pepers, Fishbone, Dan Read Network, Extreme and even the spin doctors.
    Any love for the above bands on here?
    Any suggestions for bands/artists that may take me deeper?

SG47 likes this.
  2. ThmsFrd

ThmsFrd Forum Resident

"Rest In Peace" by Extreme is the only track I could affiliate to this, but man I listened to it around 782463 times.

Wounded Land likes this.
  3. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

Another similar band would be 24-7 Spyz

4. Kaelu

Kaelu Well-Known Member

Naked Truth, Electric Boys, Lucy Brown, Psychefunkapus, Lock Up, Free For Fever, It's Alive, Maggie's Dream...
    Tell me, if you need more suggestions...

BrewCrew82 and zphage like this.
  5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I love that hard funk-rock-metal sound but I don't have much in the archives. Just the Chilli Peppers' "Blood Sugar Sex Magic" and the first two Spin Doctors albums (love those funky drums and Eric Schenkman's guitar playing). Oh, and Fishbone's take on "Freddie's Dead" is one of my all-time favourite singles.
    A special mention for Jimi's "Who Knows" (Band Of Gypsys) and Led Zep's "The Ocean" also, from a few decades earlier!

6. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Living Colour and Extreme are both amazing. Extreme are still incredible live.

Ivand and Stormrider77 like this.
  7. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Primus - an acquired taste, but a must for bass fans.
    Fishbone - one of the best live bands ever, still releasing new material.
    King's X - the definition of underrated by the General public, great live.
    Faith No More - uncompromising
    24-7 Spyz are working on a new album now with Fish Fischer on drums

I might add in Mother Love Bone too.

jay.dee likes this.
  8. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Check out Bootsauce. They were popular Juno-award winning Canadian rock/metal/funk band from the early 90s. Their singles got major play on Much Music and radio in Canada. Love Monkey #9 and Everyone's A Winner were their big hits.

Finch Platte likes this.
  9. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Limbomaniacs
    Mind Funk
    Fungo Mungo
    Psychefunkapus

10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Zillatron, Praxis, the Steve Salas album with Bootsy, some other Buckethead stuff.

Mostly produced by Bill Laswell.

11. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Infectious Grooves

nolazep, Doggiedogma, eric777 and 4 others like this.
  12. Wounded Land

Maybe Last Crack? In places, at least....

GodShifter likes this.
  13. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

Come on, I've told you a million times not to exaggerate.

phantomime and Wounded Land like this.
  14. Finch Platte

Maggie's Dream, there's a blast from the past. I had to drag this out and play it to see if it's as good as I remember. Yup! Great stuff. Here's one of my favorite songs from the disc:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  15. Finch Platte

4 of the several I would have recommended, as well. The Toilet's Flooded? Cl-ASS-ic. :D

Synthfreek likes this.
  16. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Ugly Kid Joe. Their first EP "As Ugly As They Wanna Be."

17. Finch Platte

These guys played at the local college, and it was great! They were set up on the floor, and the crowd was so sparse, I could wander around and stand pretty close to the drummer and just soak it in.

Synthfreek likes this.
  18. Finch Platte

Another band I would recommend is Bluchunks (with an umlaut). Crazy stuff, that reminds me a little of King Crimson mixed with ???

Here's a little blurb I found out there:

I've been playing in the Bay Area since '87 and the Bluchunks were by far the most inventive of the bands to come out in the Funk/Rock heyday. People should be asking all over what happened to them, as well as most of the bands that they played with. Christian's inventiveness blending jazz fusion sounds of Al Dimeola and Allen Holdsworth into a melodic rock sound was clearly ahead of its time. Only other underrated guitarist like Andy Summers and Alex Lifeson have reached so heavily on those "outside" sounding chords and melding them with a rock voice.

The Bluchunks disbanded, as far as I know, from Sammy's decision to move to Texas. There were tensions in the band, but the ultimate decision was the move. I saw one of their last shows at a little, now-defunct club called the Axe in Berkeley.

For years after that, I rehearsed right next door to Walrus, formed by Christian and Joaquin from the 'Chunks, and Andy from Smoking Rhythm Prawns. They were one of the heaviest bands I've ever seen. Their use of 5 against 4, odd meter, and killer melody reminded me both of Soundgarden and the Beatles. They actually would sometimes warm up with "She's So.." or "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" with a much heavier approach. They later broke up due to Christian gaining a crippling case of tendonitis.

As far as I know Bluchunks only released one demo of 7 songs. (My note: They released a disc, Out Of The Mouths Of Babes)
    Walrus released 3 excellent demos and one CD. Look for them....

I have this CD, if anyone would like to hear it. It's one of my top 10 discs of all time.

19. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Oh, man... do I LOVE Maggie's Dream! I think I only knew one other person back then who knew of them independently from me, and I had a lot of musically-knowledgeable friends at that time! I certainly turned more than a few folks onto them.

From all of the good albums that came out back then, their self-titled album is one of the few that I still pull out and play on a semi-regular basis. And it still sounds damn good!

Besides the bands already named, I can think of The Family Stand (who were greatly underappreciated), and Mother's Finest, who after a long hiatus reformed in the early 90's with a pretty strong album.

Living Colour, King's X, Fishbone, Chili Peppers, 24-7 Spyz, and some of the off-shoots from the P-Funk and Prince family trees were releasing good stuff as well. Seeing the names Limbomaniacs and Psychefunkapus certainly brought back distant memories!

Finch Platte likes this.
  20. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

I'm in the Bay Area too, but unfortunately never heard of them. Based on the description, I wish I had...

21. Wounded Land

I'm intrigued. Got any links?

22. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

Little known album by a band called: Dag
    A pretty darn funk rocky! Example:

Joey The Lemur likes this.
  23. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, since I've never heard most of the bands you mentioned, but your description of the genre sounds like certain songs by Rage Against the Machine.

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  24. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Suicidal Tendencies: Suicodal For Life

jhsjhs likes this.
  25. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Were there any notable funk rock bands from this time with female vocalists? I honestly can't think of one

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.