90s Funk rock/metal suggestions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sadcafe, Jan 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

That was the band with the horn section, right? I thought they were terrible.

Synthfreek likes this.
  2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I guess Stevie Salas & Bernie Worrell's band Nickle Bag should get mentioned. 12 Hits & a Bump is pretty solid. Along those lines is some Tackhead but that's more industrial funk and hip hop than straight up rock. Good stuff though.

3. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

They definitely aren't a "funk" band, but there are strong soul and gospel influences in much of their music. I could burn you a full CD of King's X tunes that you would think are pretty damn funky!

4. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

5. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I think you're right. Rollins Band was a bad example and it was just a few songs I was remembering.

6. dosjam

dosjam Forum Resident

zphage likes this.
  7. PC31

PC31 Forum Resident

Worth checkin out: Wide Mouth Mason

8. Grow Fins

Grow Fins ...and leave you laaaaand-lubbing women alone

I was listening to Blind Melon's (self-titled) debut in the car today, and it's perfect for this theme - Tones of home and Dear Ol' Dad are great examples. Funk rock is only scratching the surface of what this band had to offer, however, as they showed remarkable variety and depth on their follow-up Soup - which was panned by critics and dismissed by everyone who hated No Rain from their debut, but nevertheless is an absolute gem (see also the thread about the recent Analog Spark re-release).

Brenald79 likes this.
  9. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

Big Chief - Mack Avenue Skull Game on Sub Pop from 1993. Former 2nd rate grunge band from Detroit decides to record a funk soundtrack to an imaginary film about a pimp. Loads of fat bass, horns, wah wah of course, Thornetta Davis on backing vocals. Pretty ****ing great.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  10. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

I too would recommend The Bluchunks -- I have had their CD for years and I see that the whole thing is up on youtube:

The Bluchunks, Out of the Mouths of Babes - YouTube

Shame they didn't stay together longer and make more music. I actually saw them live in Santa Cruz when they were still together, and actually have their handwritten setlist from the stage that night!

Finch Platte likes this.
  11. hammondjake

hammondjake Forum Resident

Glenn Hughes - 'Push' from the 1995 album 'Feel'...

12. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Here you go, one of the absolute funkiest hardest rockin bands to ever walk planet Earth...Mother's Finest!

Doggiedogma likes this.
  13. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Scatterbrain - Here Comes Trouble [​IMG]
    Urban Dance Squad - Mental Floss For The Globe [​IMG]

14. bridgeless

bridgeless Forum Resident

DAG were a great band! I wouldn’t call them funk/rock, though. Just straight up funk. My band in the late 90’s opened for them a few times. Another band you might check out if you like them is Gran Torino.

ramdom likes this.
  15. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Nine Inch Nails - Suck (from Broken)
    Suicidal Tendencies - Lights Camera Revolution, Art Of Tebellion, Suicidal For Life
    Godflesh - a song or 2 from Selfless

16. Crawlin From The Wreckage

Crawlin From The Wreckage Custom Titled

In a just and fair world, Maggie's Dream should have been H-U-G-E. Oh well. We still have the album to groove on. :righton:

Finch Platte likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.