99$ Digital cable is damn good

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thomaskong, Nov 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident Thread Starter

ttps://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis96e18-silnote-audio-award-winning-top-reviews-digital-75-ohm-mo...

I ordered above SILNOTE AUDIO Digital 75 ohm Morpheus Reference Series II 1 meter cable and received this morning.

After listening to few tracks I got blown away by the detailed and nuanced sound, excellent dynamics and deep sound stage.

I had used Analysis Plus AES digital cables and Audio Note and Crystal Audio RCA interconnect cables as digital cable with good result so far.

But this one is much better.

It’s regular price was around 300$.

I can not claim that this is the best digital cable since cable is dependent on system and personal taste.

But it is good enough to justify its regular price of 300$.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9746a-silnote-audio-award-winning-top-reviews-digital-75-ohm-mo...

Higher model is also available at 195$ and I going to listen more to 100$ one over the weekend before deciding whether to go for the 195$ one.

Since I am so happy with the improvement by paying 99$, , I placed an order for series 2 which cost 195$ and I will compare between those two cables.

Elvis Presley sound so natural and nuanced.

Please note I need one more digital cable to connect between Jay’s CDT2 Mk2 and my Dac.

I may keep those two.

Silnote may offer few more digital cables on sale at Audiogon.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Ezd and jfeldt like this.
  2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yep, the best way to buy expensive cables is after a deep discount or used.

thomaskong likes this.
  4. thomaskong

5. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Nice, thanks for the review. Has anyone compared these to the Cardas AES-EBU cable or Black Cat Silverstar yet? Those are the two cables I use now, and it would be interesting to see how this compares.

6. thomaskong

Cable is dependent on system and personal taste, unless you compare cables within your system, you never know.

I heard good thing about Black Cat digital cables.

If you compare those in your system and let us know your opinion, it will be nice.

7. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

True. I'm not ready to buy anything right now but will keep these in mind if I ever am.

8. timind

timind phorum rezident

ds58 and Helom like this.
  9. thomaskong

timind likes this.
  10. Ezd

Ezd Forum Resident

I think people are correct when they state that the only way to know for sure how a cable sounds is to listen to it in their system... To me, the price of very expensive cable may be the most "snake oily" aspect of this hobby.
    However, I have to ask myself about the quality of components used in a 10' cable selling for $8.16 and allowing the manufacturer, distributor, and retailer to all make profits....
    I guess the only way to know is to listen.

thomaskong and bru87tr like this.
  11. thomaskong

This company also offer 3,000$ digital cables.

In terms of ratio of price per parts, the price of cable could be excessive.

But in b0utique cable industry, 100$ cable is regarded as inexpensive.

Nevertheless its performance stunned me.

I also ordered this cable relying on 14 day's of return policy.

But now I am curious how much 200$ cable sounds better than 100$ cable in my system.

Ezd likes this.
  12. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

I would just compromise on everything else in my system to have enough to spend on these kit transforming digital cables.

Helom and Strat-Mangler like this.
  13. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Cable performance is dependent on extent of placebo effect.

14. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

More than happy with my Blue Jean's coax cable.

apesfan and johnny q like this.
  15. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Senior Member

How can one digital cable sound better than another digital cable?
    They both transfer the exact same bits and bytes, ones and zeros of a digital music file.
    The end result will be exactly the same for both cables.
    The only way one cable will sound better than the other cable is if one of the cables is actually manipulating the EQ or volume of the digital music file that is being transferred.
    This is impossible.

vegafleet, anorak2, xfilian and 8 others like this.
  16. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Tell us more about it please, for those of us who don't understand very much the digital audio theory and practice. Wouldn't for this same reason all transports be the same? The only possible differences in digital audio reproduction would be only DAC related or in the chain after the DAC, i.e., analog ?

17. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

Those that claim audible differences do so irrespectively of the reason behind the differences, don't need explanation to why there are differences, are just happy to pay whatever they need to increase their satisfaction.

Then you have blind tests, controlled blind tests and technical explanation to any theoretical differences and there are no such results of differences to find except a few tests done for digital audio. All of them also have technical explanations.

Now, those who are aware of both and made their choice based on all facts - it is all fine. Those have not been able to find facts and not been able to make that choice, so what about them? Should we inform them about all the facts? Or should we choose to exclude those things that don't go along with your own personal choice?

18. Melvin

Melvin Forum Resident

I use a Black Cat Silverstar 75! (BNC) cable between my USB-S/PDIF converter and DAC. I've had it in/out of my system for about 5 years or so and have used it in various configurations. Is it better than all the others I've used? Well, I always go back to it. I've never had a WOW moment with this cable, it's more of a refinement I hear after it's been in the system for a while.

19. I certainly believe this is absolutely correct. My opinion, spend the money on music rather than cables if you are happy with your equipment.

ds58, Fishoutofwater and bru87tr like this.
  20. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

River Cables have always treated me great with their digital cables. I have one of their "high-end" Gold Plus digital cables that cost a whopping $54.39 as an interconnect between my CD transport and DAC. I just don't think that digital cables make all that much of a difference in a system. As long as they are well made with good connectors and pass spec, that's all I am concerned with. River Cables fit all of these criteria and even have the cable specs on their website so I really don't see any need to upgrade.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  21. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

You should whack those bells with the different cables to see which one ding dongs the best.

22. timind

timind phorum rezident

Throughout my 50-year audio life I have gone from a cable ignorant, to a cable denier, to a cable skeptic , to a cable believer, to a cable agnostic, to a cable don't have the time or inclination to care much person. My denier/skeptic phase came from my experience working in the world of broadcast and production TV. My first real job was as a grunt in a television studio where I was installing a new production facility. This meant days and days of nothing but cable fabrication. Both audio cable and video (RG59u) cables. We ran and dressed the cables, then terminated them with whichever connector was needed. I'll bet I've terminated more than 1,000 RG59 cables during my lifetime. All of that work peaked for me when I spent three years as the chief engineer at a small radio and tv broadcast station. So my thought that if a cable was affecting the signal, it was either faulty or inadequately designed for the purpose. The cables were almost always Belden for whatever application, and always large bulk rolls. Connectors were usually Amphenol, if I recall.
    I got out of that work in the mid 90s. This is also about the time I noticed cables becoming such a concern in the home audio world. The first memory for me was an article in Stereophile from probably 90 or 91 where a reviewer was commenting on how bad a certain speaker was until he swapped speaker cables and all of the sudden this speaker was sounding wonderful. This was my first exposure to Stereophile and I gotta say the magazine was a joy back then.
    It wasn't until after the internet came along and I was buying equipment and cables for cheap (2004 or so) that I became a cable believer. A pair of Audioquest Crystal that I had reterminated that I heard a difference in cables. And it wasn't a hook the cable up and wow moment. It was more of a, "that sounds bit smoother," thing. I still do believe people can hear differences with different cables, although, no where near as profound as some write. But I have no problem with them.
    I'm now at a place where I no longer have any interest in swapping cables to hear minute differences. In fact, when I consider the time I spent doing this in the past, I kind of chuckle at myself. I certainly don't have time for it now.

I say all of this for context.

Now as to your post regarding cost/quality of materials used in these inexpensive cables, I don't know the cost. But from the perspective someone who built cables for a living, they look well built; nicely soldered and finished. I'd love to deconstruct the $400 cable to see how it's put together and compare. Yes, I take nearly everything I buy apart for a quick QC inspection.

Eigenvector, thomaskong, Ezd and 5 others like this.
  23. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

The obvious components of a cable that can bring a difference in sound are the dielectric, shield and connectors. that's pretty simple. If your ears don't notice then I guess you can save yourself a lot of money.

24. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Now I'm convinced.

25. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I don't know how much difference digital cables made, but when I got my Grace Digital M905 Monitor Controller a few years back I decided to go for a Cardas silver USB cable which cost about $300. I have no idea if it was much of an improvement over the cable that came with the controller, however my audio partner has the same device and he thought the cable made enough difference that I just went with it. The price was not all that significant when one considers the price of the controller.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.