________ ________ & the All Star Band? (like Ringo)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cgw, Jun 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cgw

cgw Forum Resident Thread Starter

Who else could do an All Star Tour?

Has anyone else done a similar thing to Ringo Starr and the All Star Band tour?
    He is a little unique in that he has the name but not quite the catalog to go it alone (at least in big venues).

Completely unrelated but I did see Charlie Watts "front" a band once. But it was a big band type of thing and he certainly didn't sing. (And it was not a band of all stars.)

2. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Freddie Starr?

[​IMG]

cwitt1980 likes this.
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Jack Black

Fullbug and Dudley Morris like this.
  4. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Dave Stewart

5. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Eric Clapton.

MySweetFork and Zoot Marimba like this.
  6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Interesting fact: Jack Bruce was in the Charlie Watts Orchestra when I saw them, and he was also one of Ringo's better All-Starrs.

7. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Starland Vocal Band? ;)

8. brettster808

brettster808 Forum Resident

Dave Grohl

Michael Rose likes this.
  9. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Tony Banks

I mean his solo work is known to very little but him plus and bunch of other guys from his era that can hack it (no pun intended) could be cool.

10. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Jeff Beck would be cool, but he's already a reluctant front man and doesn't interact much with his audience. Richie Blackmore would also be very interesting, but at this point he's probably not big enough to pull it off here in the states. Although a lower scale tour in Europe could work.

11. cgw

Clapton & Beck can hold their own on the merits of their own material. Beck though needs a singer so he sort of does it now?

Funny Grohl is mentioned, they kind of/sort of did it at the Nirvana hall of fame induction (kind of, sort of).

12. cgw

When was he with Watts? I'm sure I saw Watts in '87. (It was a "jazz festival" at a local shed. Stevie R Vaughan played also (not with Watts), it rained (I was in the lawn), that's all I remember.)

13. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Carlos Santana

14. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I did some Internet research. The shows with Jack Bruce in the Charlie Watts Orchestra seem to have been in November/December 1986. They played 3 nights at the Ritz in New York City, and I saw one of the shows.

Britons to jazz it up Charlie Watts is coming out from under his Rolling Stones persona to bring his 34-piece Charlie Watts Orchestra to North America. The jazz ensemble starts swinging at the West Hartford (Conn.) Music Hall on Nov. 29 and then moves to Philadelphia on Dec. 1. The band also will play the Ritz in New York City under the banner "Stomping at the Ritz" Dec. 2-4. The band features many of the top names in British Jazz, including Bobby Welllns, Jack Bruce, John Stevens, Don Weller and Harry Beckett....

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  15. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

Well they don't call themselves the all-stars but the Turtles Happy Together tour has the Turtles and other bands that were famous in the 60s if that counts

16. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Clapton doesn't need to do it but he has done the all star thing on many occasions (not a full tour). He often lets members of his touring bands (Billy Preston, Paul Carrack, etc) perform solo material.

17. cgw

Ringo's is unique in a way. He (I assume , I've only seen him once) always does generally the sames songs but the changing line up makes the different year shows unique.

18. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Not sure if this counts. but Bill Wyman and the Rhythm Kings have done shows with The Supremes' Mary Wilson.

19. cgw

BTW - If you go, be aware Ringo starts on time. I found out the hard way.

Fullbug likes this.
  20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Brian May

darling and Michael Rose like this.
  21. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Lars Ulrich

Fullbug likes this.
  22. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Mike Mills

Michael Rose and quakerparrot67 like this.
  23. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

Mike Campbell?

24. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

In 1999, I saw a band called the Classic Rock All-Stars, comprised of Mike Pinera (Blues Image and Iron Butterfly), the keyboardist from Sugarloaf, the drummer/lead singer from Rare Earth, the bass player from Cannibal and the Headhunters, and I think there was one more guitarist. Pinera is the only one whose name I can recall without looking them up, but they did songs by all of their former bands.

25. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Fleetwood Mac ...

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.